The takes her to the Singing Towers of Darillium
13% 7 votes
She is resurrected and becomes the Mother Superious of the Papal Mainframe
3% 2 votes

Comments

• tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the Christmas episode, I think The Doctor will see River on a random place in her timeline, before she goes off to The Library of the future to have her last adventure before 'dying'.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    A regeneration or resurrection (especially like the Master's returns)? No. Just... no.

I can't quite bring myself to believe it'll be just at some random point in River's timeline. It has to be about some special event that couldn't possibly be told without River (and, possibly, her ultimate fate) being an important part of the story.

I think we can pretty much rule out 12 taking River to the singing towers because 11 heading there with her has already been shown (and yes, I do believe the mini-sodes are canon, given that they were made at the same time as the broadcast series and the writer and the production team that made them are also the people who made the broadcast series. There's really no reason to treat then separately from the main series). In-verse, I think it's highly unlikely that they would repeat that given the characters of both River and the Doctor. In the real world there'd have to be a really good story to be told that requires that event to be shown to make it worth a revisit. And SM would have to be convinced of that.

Therefore, I'm going with the fourth option. :)
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind a story where it isn't clear where it is in her timeline, and right at the end something is said that implies this is after the library, and let that be her last appearance in the series, shrouded in mystery just as she arrived.
  • sithlord3ksithlord3k Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm guessing something to do with the Time Lords and Trenzalore.
    Or, maybe even the Doctor's doing because of Clara's possible fate (although I guess in that case he'd be more inclined to help Clara).
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    None of the above, why no option for same character same timeline after her last meeting with the 11th Doctor ?
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,338
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    A regeneration or resurrection (especially like the Master's returns)? No. Just... no.

I can't quite bring myself to believe it'll be just at some random point in River's timeline. It has to be about some special event that couldn't possibly be told without River (and, possibly, her ultimate fate) being an important part of the story.

I think we can pretty much rule out 12 taking River to the singing towers because 11 heading there with her has already been shown (and yes, I do believe the mini-sodes are canon, given that they were made at the same time as the broadcast series and the writer and the production team that made them are also the people who made the broadcast series. There's really no reason to treat then separately from the main series). In-verse, I think it's highly unlikely that they would repeat that given the characters of both River and the Doctor. In the real world there'd have to be a really good story to be told that requires that event to be shown to make it worth a revisit. And SM would have to be convinced of that.

Therefore, I'm going with the fourth option. :)

I disagree. Not about the minisodes being canon, I'm fine with that, but What I disagree with is the fact that you conclude that it is ruled out based on a few lines in one of them. All we know from the minisode you are thinking of is that as far as River was concerned, the doctor was going to take her there. Now for one thing, the doctor so very often gets diverted from planned locations by either his own choosing or that of the TARDIS that an original plan for them to go there is no evidence in the doctors world that they actually did. Another option -the doctor lies. River remarked that he had 'been promising me for ages' so if the doctor had wanted to get her somewhere, perhaps somewhere she didn't want to go, then maybe that's how he'd do it, by saying they were going somewhere he knew she really wanted to go. Thirdly, as I've mentioned before - who say's they didn't go more than once?. It could easily be that when the doctor takes her there for their final day, that he is doing so because it is a place they have fond memories of together from a previous visit.

Now, If your still reading at this point, I suspect you might be thinking 'ah, but the future doctor gave the earlier doctor a sad look, that proves it' but again, it proves nothing. If we take the idea of the doctor lie's and couple it with the fact that future doctor's don't really like to give away much to an earlier incarnation, it's easily plausible that the future doctor knew that the present one would be sad and worried on hearing derillium, and rather than be revealing, just went along with what he knew the past doctor might expect. Or it could just be a mutual sadness knowing that one day the derillium trip would be his and her's last, so feeling sad about that fact but knowing that it wasn't going to happen that day.

The point is - yes, if we never see River and the doctor at derillium together on screen, then you could just assume that the minisode was showing her final trip and that it was with 11, but at the same time, any which way I look at it, there is nothing concrete to prove that the final derillium trip was with 11, and to show it with 12 would be perfectly fine.

I don't know if it will be in the christmas special, or ever on screen at all, but for me, for Moffat to start her story with such a powerful description of the end of it, and never actually show that end, would seem like a huge wasted oppourtunity.

If this is her last episode then I'd love to see it, but if Moffat is envisioning river with 12 further down the line in more episodes then maybe christmas should just be a 'random point in her timeline' (but pre death of course, no data ghost rubbish or undoing). As such I'm a bit torn with the poll options.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,338
    Forum Member
    andy1231 wrote: »
    None of the above, why no option for same character same timeline after her last meeting with the 11th Doctor ?
    I think that's what the 'random place in her timeline' option is supposed to be for.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    3. But only to get rid of her for once and for all.
  • PaperSkinPaperSkin Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where's - Brought back via underwhelming convoluted nonsense by a writer who was to tired to come up with some new interesting characters and situations, so took the easy option - ?
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    PaperSkin wrote: »
    Where's - Brought back via underwhelming convoluted nonsense by a writer who was to tired to come up with some new interesting characters and situations, so took the easy option - ?

So, not pre-judging at all much?
  • Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would you like to see?

Option 5: Last adventure
  • WonderWorldWonderWorld Posts: 181
    Forum Member
    What's your opinion if it does turn out that Tasha Lem is the Mother Superious of the Papal Mainframe is River Song and that she uses Tasha Lem as an alias. Their are a lot of similarities between the two
    wrote:
    Old friend of the Doctor

Tasha Lem at one point mentions how the the doctor was feared so much that "they engineered a psychopath" to kill him she says this with a wry smile on her face and seems flirtatious. To which the Doctor says "totally married her". Later when Lem is converted into a Dalek puppet she says she doesn't know if she can fight the conditioning. The Doctor says "Listen you have been fighting this Psychopath inside you all of your life, shut up and win". Clearly she was only a Dalek for 3 days so the Psychopath inside her would seem to point to River Song's conditioning.

The Doctor while flirting with Tasha Lem says, "never could resist a good row." Row as in rowing a pond or river? Possibly row as in fight? Likely a dual meaning.

Lem backwards is Mel. River Song was originally named Melody Pond. Though Tasha comes from Natasha or Natalia which means birthday or more precisely "Christ's Birthday" or Christmas. Does Tasha Lem = Christmas Mel?

Tasha Lem can pilot the TARDIS. When asked by Clara, "You can fly the TARDIS?". Tasha Lem says, "Flying the TARDIS was always easy, it was flying the Doctor I never mastered.". River Song has always been very skilled in flying the TARDIS more so than many Doctors and other characters in the series.

Tasha Lem did not want the Doctor to die and said the part of the Church of the Silence that tried to kill him was an offshoot not under her control. They were unable to kill him because their fate was tied up in the events that created them and they even created the rip that would necessitate the churches creation
    1. River is an old friend
    2. River had to fight the Psychopath in her
    3. Row as in rowing a pond or river
    4. Lem backwards is Mel
    5. Why can Tasha Lem fly the TARDIS
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    I think that's what the 'random place in her timeline' option is supposed to be for.

Fair enough, I will vote for that option then.
  • FluxCapacitorFluxCapacitor Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope it's just a random point in her timeline. The joy of the character for me is that she CAN just pop up with no explanation - I don't really feel that's been taken advantage of, especially given that data ghost crap in her last episode.

Any post-library River appearing in whatever form (including a Tasha Lem resurrection) just diminishes what was a fantastic end - aka beginning - to her character.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope it's just a random point in her timeline. The joy of the character for me is that she CAN just pop up with no explanation - I don't really feel that's been taken advantage of, especially given that data ghost crap in her last episode.

Any post-library River appearing in whatever form (including a Tasha Lem resurrection) just diminishes what was a fantastic end - aka beginning - to her character.

This ^^.
  • donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes!
    I really hope we don't get a "The library end wasn't really the end at all" story. It would really diminish the character
  • Ratin78Ratin78 Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Apparently she does not recognise the doctor in this year's Christmas episode!