Mike read on an RSL for Hospital radio Wey's 40th

hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,663
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Managed to catch a bit of Mike Read presenting a special show an RSL for Hospital radio Wey's 40th aniversary.
He has local roots, he told how he was a student at a local college and was part of a group which found a bit of a 10th century mansion.
http://rwfm.co.uk/
hope all goes well and it raises local awareness of the good Hospital radio does.

Comments

• James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    I have visited the station in the past, they run a tight ship there and have a good undertstanding if how the station should be run
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now also running an ofshoot called Brooklands FM, but doing an internet only RSL this month with a view of getting an FM community licence, best if hospital and community stations are run seperately as aims and audiences are diferent, but linked.
    The website is
    www.brooklandsfm.com
  • iain.elseyiain.elsey Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    hanssolo wrote: »
    Now also running an ofshoot called Brooklands FM, but doing an internet only RSL this month with a view of getting an FM community licence, best if hospital and community stations are run seperately as aims and audiences are diferent, but linked.
    The website is
    www.brooklandsfm.com

I have also heard that HRW plan to apply for a community radio licence.

The station is a registered charity and I am not sure how this would go down with the Charity Commission.

How would the studio facilities and other assets be kept separate.

The hospital station is currently streaming from their website and again I wonder how this fits in with their charitable status. They also must be paying a small packet in Royalties too...

Hey ho....
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,824
    Forum Member
    The website is
    www.brooklandsfm.com

And sounding good I may add. They are broadcasting from a local electrical superstore in the area where I live with live programming throughout the day.

I hope that they get a full time licence in 2009.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Just to clarify - Hospital Radio Wey and Brooklands FM are not the same organisation.

It gets a bit confusing.
    Forum Member
    Just to clarify - Hospital Radio Wey and Brooklands FM are not the same organisation.

It gets a bit confusing.

I tune into Radio Wey quite often, in fact I was last tuned into it on Wednesday evening when some rather lovely sounding presenter called Sarah was on.

A great mix of music and it's to be recommended.

I understand that Brooklands FM are going to be trying for a Community Radio licence will be excellent for the area which I live in. I tuned in when they were broadcasting from Addlestone last month and it would be a welcome addition to the local airwaves.

Do Radio Wey & Brooklands share the same presenters?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It gets a bit confusing.
    But they share the same roots, Brooklands FM started as the the first Radio Wey FM RSL in 2006 in Brooklands college (see the video on the Brooklands FM wensite), but seems for some reason the teams split and the 2007 RSL was renamed Brooklands FM and Radio Wey continued as the hospital radio.

For some reason the 2008 RSL of Brooklands FM did not make it onto FM but was web only and they had to move out of Brooklands college into the shop.

Although Brooklands FM said they will apply for a FM community licence, in the Surrey Herald this week Radio Wey also said they will also apply for a FM community licence, but the item did not mention Brooklands FM dispite featuring it last month.
    Forum Member
    Although Brooklands FM said they will apply for a FM community licence, in the Surrey Herald this week Radio Wey also said they will also apply for a FM community licence, but the item did not mention Brooklands FM dispite featuring it last month.

Yes I read that in this week's Surrey Herald too. Seems that Radio Wey are also looking for presenters at the moment as they are running a recruitment drive on air, on line & in this week's Herald.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the latest Brooklands FM newsletter.
    Space invaders
    YOU might have read in the Surrey Herald recently that a local hospital radio station plans to apply for a licence to run a Community Radio station whose proposed coverage area includes a chunk of ours.

We have been aware that the hospital service had such ambitions, but we feel that with the quality of our management team and members and our experience of FM community broadcasting we shall be the stronger applicant.
    Seems to be a bit of friction between the 2 groups which seems a shame!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    Hi
    Looks like OFCOM are inviting applications for community radio licences in the southern perimeter of the M25. From somebody who has listened to a great number of local stations, I believe that Radio Wey, with their forty year history, excellent facilities, professional presenters and forward thinking management team are certainly in with a great chance.

I've heard mention in this forum of a station that already has FM in their title so it looks like they either have already got a licence or they're letting us believe they have. I guess as they are an amateur group which has only been in existence for a year they are to be forgiven. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have mixed feelings on this, Radio Wey does a great job in helping patents in hospital and I have visited it, but broadcasting to the community requires a different style and approach from Hospital radio.
    So far i can't find a Hospital radio that also has been awarded a Community licence, but Chichester Hospital radio has a low power AM service just for the site.

The Chichester Hospital radio website says
    "Hospital Radio has a key role to play directly supporting the healing process that patients undergo during their treatment and subsequent recovery in hospital."

But if the same station is broadcasting to large towns it has to cater for others and might lose it's aim.
    Therefore there should be a different group providing the community service with a different funding model, but with strong links to the hospital radio group and BBC and commercial stations.
    Therefore for the community station Radio Wey should not perhaps waste valueable funds and effort applying for a licence itself, and make up and support the capable team at Brooklands FM. The latest internet service they did, although not 100% professional, sounded OK, and seemed to have the right balance for community radio
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I have mixed feelings on this, Radio Wey does a great job in helping patents in hospital and I have visited it, but broadcasting to the community requires a different style and approach from Hospital radio.
    So far i can't find a Hospital radio that also has been awarded a Community licence, but Chichester Hospital radio has a low power AM service just for the site.

The Chichester Hospital radio website says
    "Hospital Radio has a key role to play directly supporting the healing process that patients undergo during their treatment and subsequent recovery in hospital."

But if the same station is broadcasting to large towns it has to cater for others and might lose it's aim.
    Therefore there should be a different group providing the community service with a different funding model, but with strong links to the hospital radio group and BBC and commercial stations.
    Therefore for the community station Radio Wey should not perhaps waste valueable funds and effort applying for a licence itself, and make up and support the capable team at Brooklands FM. The latest internet service they did, although not 100% professional, sounded OK, and seemed to have the right balance for community radio

Hi . . .

I am with HRW and picked this thread up on a search. Whilst I totally understand your comments, the whole aspect of Hospital Radio is changing as the average time a patient stays in hospital has reduced significantly over the past few years. This makes it difficult for stations to form a 'listening' bond with patients and their visitors. we took the step of internet streaming to further consolidate that bond and keep our listeners involved.

We are currently working, successfully, on an initiative that provides a broadcast to local hospitals, care homes, nursing homes and hospices. This has led to the local community supporting us [ View ] and urging us to move forward and continue our good work that has been supported by volunteers for over 40 years.

I must add at this point that we did approach BrooklandsFM to come and join us and the offer was declined, despite the fact that our charity provided the initial funds for their fm broadcasting.

We are excited and passionate about our past, current and future services that we provide and urge you to 'listen in' to our broadcast.

Thank you for your interest in Hospital Radio Wey.

Keith
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the reply, I suppose having 2 groups going for a licence will help highlight the need for community radio in the area as Jackie, County Sound, Eagle and SCR and the London stations which cover the area are not exactly local.
    But keeping a community station going in an area where there is a large number of stations will be a challenge.

Is Radio Wey going to be doing an OB at the Black Cherry Fair this weekend, as in previous years, as the website does not mention it?.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the reply, I suppose having 2 groups going for a licence will help highlight the need for community radio in the area as Jackie, County Sound, Eagle and SCR and the London stations which cover the area are not exactly local.
    But keeping a community station going in an area where there is a large number of stations will be a challenge.

Is Radio Wey going to be doing an OB at the Black Cherry Fair this weekend, as in previous years, as the website does not mention it?.

Hi . . . We will be there. We do an email notification of local events etc. Nip on the site and subscribe and we will keep you in touch with events etc. You appear to have a good knowledge of local radio and an interest in the community. Keep in touch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I think it’s fair to say that the transition from a Hospital Radio Station to a Community Station should be a natural progression and part of its organic growth. We have seen many Hospital stations close because they have failed to adapt to the changing face of media entertainment. Good luck to Radio Wey, let hope they get the Licence.
    Forum Member
    Muffin61 wrote: »
    I think it’s fair to say that the transition from a Hospital Radio Station to a Community Station should be a natural progression and part of its organic growth. We have seen many Hospital stations close because they have failed to adapt to the changing face of media entertainment. Good luck to Radio Wey, let hope they get the Licence.

Much appreciated.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    In the latest Brooklands FM newsletter.

Seems to be a bit of friction between the 2 groups which seems a shame!

Space invaders
    YOU might have read in the Surrey Herald recently that a local hospital radio station plans to apply for a licence to run a Community Radio station whose proposed coverage area includes a chunk of ours.

I couldn’t believe the arrogance of this item, when someone claims that a chunk of their coverage area (no actual definition) is being grabbed by another potential Community Station. Firstly it’s presently nobody’s ‘chunk’ until the licence has been awarded and secondly at this stage we don’t know how Ofcom intend to split up the area. Might be worth bearing in mind that Weybridge is inside the M25 so may not be included in the next round of Ofcom Community Radio applications. Check the Ofcom web site for more details.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike Read is a horrible, horrible man.

It's a shame because I used to absolutely love listening to him on Radio 1 in the 80s.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't agree with Mike read using radio for his political views but many people I know who know hiim say he normally a very pleasant person.

Good Radio Wey OB at the fair but did not get the message across community radio
    Forum Member
    Will this feud never end? This subscriber notes that Brooklands FM (A lie since they don't have an FM licence) and Hospital Radio Wey (who should stick to what they do best) are now fighting over a licence yet again. I hear that Brooklands wont be around long. Will Mike Read be joining. I don't think so.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    Mike Read a pro and we listeners of Big L International very much enjoy the major part he does to entertain us all.
    Forum Member
    Tim Brell wrote: »
    Will this feud never end? This subscriber notes that Brooklands FM (A lie since they don't have an FM licence) and Hospital Radio Wey (who should stick to what they do best) are now fighting over a licence yet again. I hear that Brooklands wont be around long. Will Mike Read be joining. I don't think so.

This kind of post is not appreciated. Members of both organistaions have years of experience and are not fighting over a licence. Please only post correct information.
    Keith
    Forum Member
    This kind of post is not appreciated. Members of both organistaions have years of experience and are not fighting over a licence. Please only post correct information.
    Keith

I think you're being naive See it local. Brooklands FM believe they are the professional broadcaster. Because of there contacts at Ofcom they will definately get a licence.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The website is
    www.brooklandsfm.com

That station is set up well... and i think it will last if it gets a license and doesn't get attack by pirates.
  • MrRayDOMrRayDO Posts: 1,144
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvhamster wrote: »
    That station is set up well... and i think it will last if it gets a license and doesn't get attack by pirates.

get attack by pirates?????? in what way