Card - Box pairing BLOCKED by Ofcom

Comments

• mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zaeon wrote: »
    The old CI system could still be updated to be more secure.

They did, it's called CI+ :)

I'm not sure if it would be illegal for Sky. They don't directly profit from the sales of new boxes and hardware, and they are justified in doing it if it helps prevent cardsharing and other security risks.

They take security seriously on their own platform, I don't see why it is such an issue to impose reasonable restrictions on other platforms that carry their channels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Hi All,

I have just bought a HUMAX HDR-FOX T2
    And I am just wondering is it safe to order Sky Sports with TopUp TV? Or will there CAMS not support CI+ yet?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew
  • LocksmithLocksmith Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you'll have to wait until TUTV start selling a suitable CI+ CAM.
    My card now only works with Skysports in my Thomson TUTV now and not any longer in my TUTV CAM in my TV.
    Forum Member
    Locksmith wrote: »
    I think you'll have to wait until TUTV start selling a suitable CI+ CAM.
    My card now only works with Skysports in my Thomson TUTV now and not any longer in my TUTV CAM in my TV.

Thanks Locksmith, I wonder if there will be an announcement on the TopUp TV website when they will be starting to send out CI+ CAMS?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Knowing the speed TUTV move at, not soon enough in my eyes!
    The sooner the better though because I really want to buy a Humax HDR Fox T2 for myself :)
    Forum Member
    Locksmith wrote: »
    Knowing the speed TUTV move at, not soon enough in my eyes!
    The sooner the better though because I really want to buy a Humax HDR Fox T2 for myself :)

I am sure people will update hear once they start sending out CI+ Cams hopefully :).

This is the only tihng stopping me signing up with TopUp TV now is waiting for them to send out CI+ Cams, I wonder if they will update there box list to include the Humax Fox T2 so we dont have to pick any old box from the list?

I assume you cant get CI+ Cams from anywhere else?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm making the assumption that it will have to be a TUTV CI+ Cam to ensure that Skysports will work.
    Hopefully someone with technical knowledge will put us right?
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,653
    Forum Member
    I am already using a HDR FOX T2 with ESPN and it works a treat. Just a normal CAM though.
  • Kipper2Kipper2 Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    The black viewing card will work in the new CI+ CAM so it can be moved if/when it stops working in a normal CAM. We were told card pairing would happen this year - doesnt seem likely now:) it could therefore be a wait of several months.
    I dont understand why cards work in some peoples CAMs but not others, but seems low risk to go for Sky Sports in a CAM now, if it doesnt work then either get one of the 'approved' boxes and move card, or if you dont want another box until the CI+ CAMs become available then cancel - its not an annual contract.
    Cheers
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    I find it odd when people say it's a violation of consumer rights because they can't use their own box.

Sky, Virgin, TUTV, and BT Vision provide you the service and the channels (with the exception of BT who piggyback off TUTV's), so isnt it upto them as to which box they want you to use on their channels?

it's like Apple only want OSX on their hardware....
    sky TV on a skybox only....

if you can't use it in a humax then get the TUTV box. if you don't like the TUTV box then don't subscribe!

still that said, the box is operating quite well now.
  • nwhitfieldnwhitfield Posts: 4,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Card pairing is not, as far as I know, something that's ever been on the cards. It's been something that some people people have inferred from statements here, but not something that anyone at TUTV or any of the other companies I've talked with has ever suggested. Nor (despite the title of this thread) have I spotted any mention of it in Ofcom documents.

Embedded encryption and CI+ are the things that have been on the table.

Sure, the new CAMs may perhaps make it possible to enforce pairing, but I still remain mystified why so many people are hung up about that.

Sky didn't ask for pairing, and it wasn't blocked or unblocked by Ofcom.

They asked for various security restrictions, one of which was a restriction to embedded encryption only.

That was then revised, allowing use of CI+ as well.

That's it.
  • jacko 2jacko 2 Posts: 442
    Forum Member
    This is an old thread and i can see no point in it people just going on about the same thing over and over again hell if you want to pay those prices for 2 SD sports channels on DTT your very welcome.:rolleyes:
  • BainsyboyBainsyboy Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jacko 2 wrote: »
    This is an old thread and i can see no point in it people just going on about the same thing over and over again hell if you want to pay those prices for 2 SD sports channels on DTT your very welcome.:rolleyes:

Why thankyou jacko2 I do pay for two SD channels on the beautiful freeview platform, infact I pay for three SD sport channels on freeview and also pay for tutv favorites as well on the wonderful freeview platform ;)
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    nwhitfield wrote: »
    Card pairing is not, as far as I know, something that's ever been on the cards. It's been something that some people people have inferred from statements here, but not something that anyone at TUTV or any of the other companies I've talked with has ever suggested. Nor (despite the title of this thread) have I spotted any mention of it in Ofcom documents.

Embedded encryption and CI+ are the things that have been on the table.

Sure, the new CAMs may perhaps make it possible to enforce pairing, but I still remain mystified why so many people are hung up about that.

Sky didn't ask for pairing, and it wasn't blocked or unblocked by Ofcom.

They asked for various security restrictions, one of which was a restriction to embedded encryption only.

That was then revised, allowing use of CI+ as well.

That's it.

I agree, I don't get why people get annoyed because they can't use the HD humax with it.

the whole paring thing was speculated by a few, including me.

who thought sky may have forced card paring to stop other hardware. As you say it hasn't happened. the only difference is the card requires something in the encryption that so far is only available on supported boxes, but will be in a CI+ cam.

i don't know of anything that supports a CI+ cam yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are some 2010 TVs that claim to support it, and the Humax HDR Fox T2 should.

Practically, of course, since there haven't been many deployments at all, anywhere, it's going to be interesting to see if any of the devices that claim CI+ support will need a firmware update to make it work with the new CAMs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree, I don't get why people get annoyed because they can't use the HD humax with it
    Not annoyed just excited anticipation :)

I want to take advantage of freeview HD and Sky Sports. The Humax is the best way forward.
    Forum Member
    QUOTE=Bainsyboy;46938523]Why thankyou jacko2 I do pay for two SD channels on the beautiful freeview platform, infact I pay for three SD sport channels on freeview and also pay for tutv favorites as well on the wonderful freeview platform ;)[/QUOTE]

:eek::eek:,Mr Murdock loves you ,you pay more for less.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jacko 2 wrote: »
    QUOTE=Bainsyboy;46938523]Why thankyou jacko2 I do pay for two SD channels on the beautiful freeview platform, infact I pay for three SD sport channels on freeview and also pay for tutv favorites as well on the wonderful freeview platform ;)

:eek::eek:,Mr Murdock loves you ,you pay more for less.[/QUOTE]

Yep & I dont have to have one of his chavy dishes on my wall & watch countless repeats of chavy crap programming or subscribe to other pacakages to get the sport. I could have sky on the full pacakage & it still wouldnt make a dent in my wages. I choose not to though as cant stand sky & there ever increasing price rises. I could have virgin & sky & top up & it wouldnt dent my wages but virgin are now crap (bring back telewest) so i'll pay my money to tutv & get my sports that way ta very much.
    Happy New year & enjoy your white lightning. Is Jeremy Kyle doing a new years eve special?
    Forum Member
    Bainsyboy wrote: »
    :eek::eek:,Mr Murdock loves you ,you pay more for less.

Yep & I dont have to have one of his chavy dishes on my wall & watch countless repeats of chavy crap programming or subscribe to other pacakages to get the sport. I could have sky on the full pacakage & it still wouldnt make a dent in my wages. I choose not to though as cant stand sky & there ever increasing price rises. I could have virgin & sky & top up & it wouldnt dent my wages but virgin are now crap (bring back telewest) so i'll pay my money to tutv & get my sports that way ta very much.
    Happy New year & enjoy your white lightning. Is Jeremy Kyle doing a new years eve special?[/QUOTE]

White lightning :confused: perhaps i'm getting to old,your very privliged package charges wouldn't dent your wages afraid thats not the case if your a pension.
    May i wish you a happy new year.;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was using phone to post so didnt see the emoticions jacko2, and thought it was a post by a sky fan boy that cant seem to get it into there heads that some people dont want to pay there hard earned cash to Sky. I know some of my sub now will be going to sky via tutv BUT theres no way I will ever have a sky dish on my house as they crapped on me many moons ago. I'd go back to Virgin BUT comapired to telewest VIrgins CS's is dire. Took me an hour and a half once just to speak to a human being with virgin so cancelled there and then.
    tutv although not ideal service due to dodgy boxes is ideal for me as not tied into a lengthy contract. I could get a hell of a lot more If I went to sky direct but I choose not to.
    As for subscribing to anything when Im on a pension, I doubt that I would. All these that bang on about getting rid of tv licence crack me up as they prob pay sky top dollar for there services and are in for hell of a shock when they do retire and sky still want over £50 a month for there services
    Happy New Year to yu as well
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ofcon has today upheld its CA decision on review according to the DTG. Next stop the High Court?

http://www.dtg.org.uk/news/news.php?class=countries&subclass=0&id=3946
  • chris20chris20 Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope this will mean soon that people can subscribe useing cam soon I have been waiting to get this service to go with my freesat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think there's anything new in that DTG item; I suspect it's possibly someone at the DTG finally getting round, after the Xmas break, to reporting the news release that went out from TUTV on the 15th of December.

That release starts "TopUpTV welcomes OFCOM's decision to uphold the use of Conditional Access Modules..."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Greetings

I have been following this thread for a while. I have topup with Sky Sports and ESPN but the supplied Thomson box has terrible picture quality. Before the CI+ came in I used a regular CAM and the tuner in my TV gave a much better picture.

Can anyone recommend or give advice on which box that is compatible with Sky Sports and ESPN gives the best picture quality?

Thanks
  • NightdeamonNightdeamon Posts: 3,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wont be the box that gives you a better picture - some might but the picture is generally bad because of the compression and bit rate used in sending and encoding.