The Snowman

2»

Comments

• grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Peter Auty.
    The only way I know of to get the original opening to the Snowman is this DVD:

http://www.amazon.com/Snowman-Father-Christmas-Peter-Auty/dp/0767826701/ref=sr_1_3?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1292974257&sr=1-3

Then if you want the proper Father Christmas get the UK version on DVD which as far as I know hasnt been altered (hows that for irony?)
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but I thought the whole point was that he was grouchy , that's what makes it different .

That is indeed the point.

I had the 'Father Christmas' and 'Father Christmas goes on holiday' books when I was a kid and he was exactly not what you expect from the traditional Father Christmas which makes it all the better.

From wiki:
    The book presents a dramatically different modern interpretation of the character. Far from being jolly, this Father Christmas is a brash man who works from a normal house with the usual tasks involved with his delivery on Christmas Eve. There is no sign of either Mrs. Claus or the elves in this apparently solo operation. Living with him are his Cat and Dog and two reindeer. While he bumbles and mumbles about his work and life, it's clear he has a deep affection for his animals (he gives his cat and dog presents and refers to his reindeer as "m'dears") and enjoys his work. He comes across as a stereotypical old man who complains about everything but ultimately loves what he does.

I have not seen the US version and not sure I want to if they have changed the character like that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 496
    Forum Member
    Anyone recall "Granpa" voiced by Peter Ustinov- this absolutely destroys me every time I watch it.
    Cant watch it these days.
    Forum Member
    I vaguely remember that, its not been shown for years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the Snowman as a kid back in the 80s, but I have grown to love Raymond Briggs scary and hauting vision of a nuclear bomb hitting England ' When The Wind Blows ' even more.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the Snowman as a kid back in the 80s, but I have grown to love Raymond Briggs scary and hauting vision of a nuclear bomb hitting England ' When The Wind Blows ' even more.

Yes, that is great. I first saw it in school and we were all glued to the tv.
    Forum Member
    I remember that one too.
  • molybecksmolybecks Posts: 14,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay i'm sitting here slightly emotional...
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just caught the very end of it, damn you Channel 4 for showing it so early on Christmas Eve.Surely this should have a prominent schedule on Christmas Eve, but I suppose more friggin' Come Dine With Me shite pulls in the viewers... :(
  • revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh man, when he drops to his knees in utter despair upon seeing the Snowman melted... argh floods of tears :D
    Forum Member
    I got a lump in my throat at the end - makes me very sad :cry:
  • grahamcrowdengrahamcrowden Posts: 1,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I got a lump in my throat at the end - makes me very sad :cry:

The bit that gets me is when the lad turns round and runs back to the Snowman to give him a hug.:cry:
    Forum Member
    Oh yeah that too :cry:
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Found it on Youtube... just search for "father christmas raymond briggs"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I've ever watched it on C4.
    I got the R1 dvd with the original version in 1998 and watch that every year.
    I got the R2 for £3 in 2009 just to get the documentary but it also allowed me to see how C4 have ruined it by changing footage and chopping the image to make it 16:9.

I think even the naff Bowie intro is better than the one with Santa .
    Alway watch it as it was made though.

When it was first released on VHS in the 80's it was at the time when trying to flog tv shows commercially was seen as a hard sell that few were interested in so they used the Bowie intro to spice it up.

The thinking back then was "why would the public buy things they can tape off the tv for free"?

It took a very long time for this thinking to go away .
    Apart from Star Trek and other cult tv shows the companies wasted their archives and didn't really make the most of them until a few years after dvd arrived and made it cheaper and easier to release whole series in realistically sized packaging
    Forum Member
    Is the UK Father Xmas DVD the original version?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Is the UK Father Xmas DVD the original version?

Yes.
    The US version has never been seen in the UK although its about time they included it as a bonus
  • LadyMinervaLadyMinerva Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else remember the Snowman video used to have David Bowie at the beginning as if he were the boy..he even had the scarf!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When it was first released on VHS in the 80's it was at the time when trying to flog tv shows commercially was seen as a hard sell that few were interested in so they used the Bowie intro to spice it up.
    Does anyone else remember the Snowman video used to have David Bowie at the beginning as if he were the boy..he even had the scarf!

Just a few posts apart.
  • LadyMinervaLadyMinerva Posts: 755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a few posts apart.

you're right..but your post was very long and I stopped reading after line 2!:D