Options

BBC ''Got It Wrong'' Over Balding Joke

ftvftv Posts: 31,668
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The BBC has admitted it ''got it wrong'' in a Radio 5 programme where panellists joked about ''curing Clare Balding of homosexuality.'' The remarks - on a live programme - were inappropriate and have been removed from the BBC i-player, the BBC said.One panellist said that Balding ''appreciates a bit of power between her legs''.

www.bbc.co.uk/aerial

Comments

• Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    The BBC seeking to edit history again. Whether the comments were right or wrong, editing it from IPlayer is changing a record and should not be done.
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jokes are jokes, get over it. If you don't like a particular joke, stop listening. Censorship due to people possibly being offended is the real joke here.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    They are very lazy on problems with programmes on iPlayer.

They removed an episode of Saturday Kitchen from it because of one swear word in the 90 minute episode.

They could have edited the programme to bleep/blank the word.
    They could have put up a warning on the programme or page explaining about the language.

Or possibly they could have just ignored it and put it up how it went out live.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    TUC wrote: »
    The BBC seeking to edit history again. Whether the comments were right or wrong, editing it from IPlayer is changing a record and should not be done.

It pleases Ofcom and that's all really care about...
  • Options
    davestokedavestoke Posts: 3,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hardly think it's the worst topic ever to appear on "defend the indefensible"! I wish people would get a life sometimes.
  • Options
    TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    It pleases Ofcom and that's all really care about...

Perish the thought that its only a certain metropolitan elite that might be offended.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Perish the thought that its only a certain metropolitan elite that might be offended.

The comments about Claire Balding were offensive, but if they pull them off the iPlayer, Ofcom views it as the BBC taking steps to counter the offence caused, and it may aid the BBC's cause when (or if) Ofcom decides to investigate.

When I said "that's all they really care about" I meant that the BBC cares about pleasing Ofcom and not offending the audience more than preserving history. It was not intended as commentary on the remarks...
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Clare is usually up for a laugh, i expect she wouldn't have minded one bit.

Really, i feel that people are missing the bigger picture here.

The Beeb feels forced to apologise for everything, even humour, in order to head off negative publicity from certain sections of the media.

Soon they will be unable to broadcast anything at all just in case it offends anyone.

Humour will be gone if we're not careful here.

All the while those publications that like to "go big" on these things will still do their own sordid buisness with no risk of a comback.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "got it wrong" is the phrase to use if or when the BBC invade Iraq with tanks and sharks with "lasers" on their heads.

I hear comments of an outrageously un-PC nature from Graham Norton all the time on his chat show. Often they are aimed at showbiz drug addicts and mental cases of course, pathetic wretches with little social standing. So that's all right then.

This is the problem, it's so hypocritical of the BBC to block anti-liberal comments directed at certain social groups while allowing similar comments to go ahead at entirely different social groups.

Norton is endlessly having a go at Lindsay Lohan for example. And I'm sure Britney Spears. Complete wrecks in their time. Mock them but not Balding?
  • Options
    Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Defend the Indefensible' is supposed to be just that and, in addition to the section's title, there is a disclaimer made before they start.

Quoting what was said without giving any context to why it was said is just fanning the flames.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    "got it wrong" is the phrase to use if or when the BBC invade Iraq with tanks and sharks with "lasers" on their heads.

I hear comments of an outrageously un-PC nature from Graham Norton all the time on his chat show. Often they are aimed at showbiz drug addicts and mental cases of course, pathetic wretches with little social standing. So that's all right then.

This is the problem, it's so hypocritical of the BBC to block anti-liberal comments directed at certain social groups while allowing similar comments to go ahead at entirely different social groups.

Norton is endlessly having a go at Lindsay Lohan for example. And I'm sure Britney Spears. Complete wrecks in their time. Mock them but not Balding?

I don't think they were upset about the victim, they were upset about the arguably homophobic nature of the comments...
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will the BBC never show a fiction film featuring a rape in the future? Or a murder.
    What a bizarre action.

There will always be a minority who don't get this type of deliberately provocative humour.

Al Murray (pub landlord) comes to mind.

Such a character could never appear on a BBC channel nowadays that's for sure.
  • Options
    MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think they were upset about the victim, they were upset about the arguably homophobic nature of the comments...

Who is this "they"? The Daily Mail readership?

After the DM printed a one-sided, out of context, article about the broadcast, their readership duly got outraged - despite not having listened to the broadcast. The same readership who will be back on their anti-gay, anti-same sex marriage agenda tomorrow.

The comments were not homophobic at all. The idea of "Defend the Indefensible" is to have an ironic rant about something you don't agree with - that's the whole point, to see who has the guts to go the full 30 seconds defending something quite obviously considered to be indefensible - the clue is in the title.

Claire Balding has been on FT before - apparently flashing her boobs at Colin Murray to gain extra points! She has never denied this, and its a running joke when she is on the show. She gives as good as she gets and is obviously held in high regard by the panelists. No way was Bob Mills being homophobic and no way would he have meant any of it. It was a joke ffs.
  • Options
    Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was April 1st when I heard about this especially when it's "Defend the Indefensible". Another consequence of Sachsgate, me thinks.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    Indeed. "Let's get the apology in before the Daily Wail blows it up out of all proportion again" :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Indeed. "Let's get the apology in before the Daily Wail blows it up out of all proportion again" :)

Spot on, and that is why it is done.

Thanks to this, comedy might be saved for another few weeks....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    Will the BBC never show a fiction film featuring a rape in the future? Or a murder.
    What a bizarre action.

There will always be a minority who don't get this type of deliberately provocative humour.

Al Murray (pub landlord) comes to mind.

Such a character could never appear on a BBC channel nowadays that's for sure.

Apart from the subject of this thread of course, and Norton's material which, you yourself, have highlighted.

So, it DOES still appear, just with an apology to head off the newspapers who will try and whip up outrage.

And these days, the apology comes before the firestorm.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read it this morning, it did not sound particularly funny but I don't think that she is the type to make a fuss about something silly like that.
  • Options
    R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, have they cured her of it yet? :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think 20 minutes in a room with Bob Mills would be enough for any woman, gay or straight.

My apologies I typed the link slightly incorrectly:

www.bbc.co.uk/ariel
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sorry, but repeating something that is acknowledged to be wrong or offensive is quite simply, wrong.

No ifs, no buts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DragonQ wrote: »
    Jokes are jokes, get over it. If you don't like a particular joke, stop listening. Censorship due to people possibly being offended is the real joke here.

So we have cases when the BBC is criticised for not admitting that they were wrong (in the face of viewer complaints) - the oft-repeated line of "we're right and you're wrong" (look in a number of recent Points of View threads in TV forum for that phrase - i's very popular with a few posters).

And now they are criticised for admitting that they were wrong ("e're wrong and you're right")..

Can't really win can they.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There doesn't seem to have been a complaint from Clare Balding - or were the BBC trying to head off the Daily Fail ? At this rate they'll be apologising for virtually everything they broadcast - a sharp contrast with BBC News executives who are ''perfectly satisfied'' with their coverage regardless of the complaints
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    There doesn't seem to have been a complaint from Clare Balding - or were the BBC trying to head off the Daily Fail ? At this rate they'll be apologising for virtually everything they broadcast - a sharp contrast with BBC News executives who are ''perfectly satisfied'' with their coverage regardless of the complaints

So doesn't that demonstrate that each complaint is viewed on its merits (and in context) rather than a knee-jerk "we're right/we're wrong" approach?

I just don't get what people want here - they moan when the BBC refuses to admit that a complaint was justified. They moan if the BBC admits that a complaint was justified.

And remember - just because you might find something offensive (or not offensive) it does not mean that it IS offensive (or not) when viewed "in the round"
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In what way did they get it wrong? By editing it out?
    Seems fair to me.