Gnat Bites

burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
Forum Member
✭✭
Has anyone else been bitten to pieces by gnats or midges? Mr B and I are covered in itchy spots. Even though we spray the bedroom at night, they are still biting us. They get in our clothes because he has bites on the back of his knees and I have them on my torso. I have a new one or two every day.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep. I got some real nasty looking bites on my leg last week. They still haven't properly healed.
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    I awoke one day last week to find a small hole in my foot.It was inflamed and itchy and sore, after two days the skin around the bite, went a darker colour and encircled the bite and was very itchy.
    Today there is only a mild discolouration around the bite and the bite itself is fading .
  • ArmiArmi Posts: 3,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always suffer worse from insect bites in the UK than anywhere abroad.
  • JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    I gnew it was a gnat..
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    Has anyone else been bitten to pieces by gnats or midges? Mr B and I are covered in itchy spots. Even though we spray the bedroom at night, they are still biting us. They get in our clothes because he has bites on the back of his knees and I have them on my torso. I have a new one or two every day.
    Several times. Got a bit of a reaction off one and my foot swelled up. Not enough to stop me getting my shoe on luckily. Anyway this year I gave in and bought some insect repellent. Worked a treat. I knew it was working because it ran out and I had to go out in my garden in the morning to do some watering and got bitten several times.

What puzzles me most is why there are biting insects in my garden. I don't have any pets and aside from the occasional moggy passing through and exercising its bowels there's no other animal life. So what the devil do they feed on when I'm not around? Has an insect Mordetis Andrue Matutínis evolved in Brackley?

:mad:
  • venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't suffered as much this year with midge bites than I did last year. I find dabbing Tiger Balm on them immediately soothes the itching.

However, I did get bitten by a horsefly this year which I would not wish on anyone. It was absolutely horrendous. My foot was on fire and the itching was unlike anything I've ever experienced, I felt like clawing my own foot off. I had to go to the doctors and ended up on antibiotics and with Fucidin cream for the intense (and relentless) itching!

I'd rather be stung by a wasp than go through that again (and that's saying something!).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Thats the good thing about winter. We live near a river and there are thousands of them hovering about waiting for someone to snack on. As soon as the temperature goes way down they disappear.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Something bit me this morning when I was going along my back passage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was advised to take 1 a day brewers yeast tablets and don't notice any bites now.

Brewer's yeast is high in Vitamin B1, which is excreted through your pores when you sweat. Brewer's yeast gives off an odour that gnats/mosquitoes find offensive and they usually leave you alone. I started taking them in May and It seems to be working ok for me at the moment.
  • tinmantinman Posts: 3,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually came out in a nasty rash when a very hairy caterpillar fell down my back.:eek:
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont remember being bitten at all this year.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I had an insect bite about 2 weeks ago, it went a bit nasty compared to normal bites.

http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/qq131/koantemplation/2013-09-07_14-08-23_494_zps85a50d89.jpg

It seems to be healing but is still a bit dark.
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/9423223/Watch-out-mosquitoes-are-on-the-rampage.html

There are lots of biting insects. We get tiny little black flies with disproportionately large wings. They're little buggers. They draw blood. We also get some form of mozzie too. The bites they make end up swollen and very itchy for 3-4 days.