The Stranger on the Bridge - Ch4

Comments

• 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DamienS wrote: »
    Surprised it wasn't mentioned that he was gay. I know he came out after and said that it was part of the reason he was going to jump.

Johnny is a great looking guy. I hope he finds a partner who will look after him :)
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    About half and hour in, it's rather uplifting to hear that there are a few 'Mike's' about who get involved when they see things happening.
    Not my sort of thing, I don't have the required social skills.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes just talking to them to keep them busy till someone else comes along can help.
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member
    About half and hour in, it's rather uplifting to hear that there are a few 'Mike's' about who get involved when they see things happening.
    Not my sort of thing, I don't have the required social skills.

If you noticed (which in London is easily not the case) do you think you would ignore? Think somebody who cares will come along just behind me?

Not a criticism.

Id hate to think I may have walked past someone in such desperate need of help but I may well have.
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiggywink wrote: »
    He is nervous but he doesn't seem to be mentally ill any more. I'm intrigued to learn about his recovery.

Watching him i actually thought it was quite easy to see he WAS mentally ill. And with schizophrenia it kinda goes into remission rather than ever being cured. It can disappear for years, then reappear.
    Forum Member
    Sometimes just talking to them to keep them busy till someone else comes along can help.

Yes.

Too many of us are afraid including me. ''What if I try my hardest to distract and engage and I say the wrong thing and that person just launches themself and I'm the last person to have spoken to them?''
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    owllover wrote: »
    Yes.

Too many of us are afraid including me. ''What if I try my hardest to distract and engage and I say the wrong thing and that person just launches themself and I'm the last person to have spoken to them?''

My friends kept the person talking while I ran to get the police. Thankfully a police car came by and I flagged them down. When we got back the fire brigade came and we helped lift him back over the railings.

This was in the days before mobile phones were common place.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tgabber wrote: »
    It's a strange world and even though people can talk, draw pictures, write books, we can never really know how anyone else perceives things.

Quite literally what I see as 'green' you might see as 'red'. So while someone who 'hears voices in their head' is diagnosed with a mental illness, a large part of the world's population are members of religions where 'messages from God and The Devil' form the heart of their beliefs!

So true. Years ago I'd go to a mother and toddler group every week with my son, at the local church hall. I remember one occasion when one of the women who ran the group, and who was a Christian, was talking about how she'd been awake a lot over the previous few nights. I asked her if she was having trouble sleeping and she said something like "Well the early hours of the morning are when He speaks to me most." It took me a second or two to realise she was talking about God and I did kind of think to myself if it was a non religious person saying the same, they'd be classed as mentally ill!
    boddism wrote: »
    Watching him i actually thought it was quite easy to see he WAS mentally ill. And with schizophrenia it kinda goes into remission rather than ever being cured. It can disappear for years, then reappear.

I thought that too. He reminded me a lot of someone I know, in the way he was talking and things he was saying. It's the first time I've ever seen anyone else like the person I know.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    I've just read on the Huffington Post that his suicidal thoughts had returned at Christmas and that he was going back into hospital as he couldn't live with himself again. Is this correct?
  • Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sincerely hope Johnnys story helps to break the stigma on mental health issues.

There's so many people suffering and not feeling like they can open up to anyone about what they are going through.. It's just very sad
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So are we saying the option of suicide is ALWAYS the wrong choice regardless of the suicidal person's circumstances or wishes ?

Who the hell am I to deign to persuade someone from doing what they want ?

[ just moving the discussion on ]
    Forum Member
    So are we saying the option of suicide is ALWAYS the wrong choice regardless of the suicidal person's circumstances or wishes ?

Who the hell am I to deign to persuade someone from doing what they want ?

[ just moving the discussion on ]

I don't think we're saying that at all.

Look at the methods of choice. Almost fifty years ago my flatmate's mother hung herself.

Her husband had aready left her and her only child had moved to London to look for fun and a life.

Her mother guaranteed that our friend would never know peace.
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen a lady commit suicide right infront of me. Infact it was on this very date, 4th May back in 2001. She jumped to her end and did not hang around at the top edge before throwing herself off, leaving absolutely no time for anybody to engage her. She jumped from the third floor escalator section of a shopping centre building in the middle of a quiet Friday afternoon onto rock hard marble flooring with the most awful cracking sound or like a bag of crisps being blown up and burst very very loudly. Immediately I was shaking in a kind of shivering manner at what I had witnessed. But the deed was done. She turned out to be a lady in her 40's who had made a bus trip with that deliberate intention. I've kept the press cuttings to this day, and whenever I hear a sudden unexpected sharp bang I am reminded of it. I wonder why she chose to do it in such a public area rather than more privately. The speed she threw herself off meant that she clearly didn't want to be talked out of her choice.

I thought Jonny on tonight's show was a very pleasant, and good looking guy with a nice personality, as was the chap who saved him. So many lovely people like him are the ones who end up like this, with mental health issues and self loathing, no self esteem and are endless worriers, who are infact intelligent and likeable individuals but cannot see it within themselves about how good they really are.

I would have liked to have heard a little bit more about Jonny's background and family who did seem to be absent, except his brother. The input of his parents if they are around would have added a welcome dimension. I hope they are fully supportive of him and who he is.

I hope the programme had a positive effect on other's watching who feel as Jonny has done.
    Forum Member
    Rich Tea - I can't find the right words.

Such an act of anger...
  • AoibheannRoseAoibheannRose Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was an article about this in the latest edition of The Sunday Times, and Johnny had a serious relapse shortly after filming finished. He's come through it, but says he realises that the condition will always be with him.
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was an article about this in the latest edition of The Sunday Times, and Johnny had a serious relapse shortly after filming finished. He's come through it, but says he realises that the condition will always be with him.

The good thing is, he now knows that he can reach out for help, whereas before he couldn't see a way forward.
  • toofasttoofast Posts: 2,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got the feeling that he may have pinned far too much on meeting the person who talked to him on the bridge. He appeared so incredably fragile.
    lets hope he is enjoying life and with hope.
  • bitchboybluebitchboyblue Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well he is very active on twitter, so looks like he is ok and coping. I must be honest I found his constant crying a little off putting, but I'm aware that says more about me than it does about him.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    So who's Mike?

Sorry, I missed the first 10 minutes.

He thought that the blokes name was Mike but turned out he was called Neil. It was amazing how he found him.
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well it covers a wide range. I agree he was very nervous and oozed lack of confidence but I didn't see him showing signs of schizophrenia, such as I know anything about it.
    I am sad to hear he had a relapse but as said here, it is incurable, sadly. Hopefully though, he will be able to reach out and believe that he can get it under control. He seemed such a nice boy. And it's so pointless to hate yourself.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What does it matter if he is gay? He was a lovely man, big kudos to Neil, such a wonderful man
  • stewartuustewartuu Posts: 334
    Forum Member
    I thought that initial meeting and conversation was just wonderful to witness... they are both beautiful people. So chuffed for Jonny, as it was so very clear that this search meant the world to him, and quite understandably too; I've experienced depressions and suicidal thoughts, unable to confide in those around me, and with that I find it quite mind-blowing that anyone could have lit such a dark, final moment, much less a stranger. I don't have a clue how I'd be able to repay them - it would be impossible.

A lovely programme with an uplifting message.
  • Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    It just shows you, that someone can appear fine but inside its a total mess.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Sky_Guy wrote: »
    It just shows you, that someone can appear fine but inside its a total mess.

It's called wearing a mask :(

You don't want to drag others down so happy happy happy on the outside but dying on the inside.

There needs to be much more help for mental health.
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member

I agree, you could really tell.