Sounds Like Obama Is Going To Push To End The Right To Bear Arms in America

Comments

• bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    There's already a total ban for criminals, why not just enforce that and see how it goes?

It's probably more efficient to go after the legal owners and gun stores because if ownership was a felony, few non criminals would want to risk it. It also isolates the problem.
  • mrtdg82mrtdg82 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's already a total ban for criminals, why not just enforce that and see how it goes?

With guns so readily available it would make no difference. Also unless they changed the law that police can lawfully stop you to check your gun license how can they monitor it?

If they want to keep a law to protect your home then guns should only be there.

I cannot see how it's sensible that people can walk down the street either conceal carrying or in some cases walk down the road with a semi automatic weapon. There is absolutely no necessity for it.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    It's probably more efficient to go after the legal owners and gun stores because if ownership was a felony, few non criminals would want to risk it. It also isolates the problem.

Yes I agree.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is there a total ban for criminals?
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    Let's face it, if twenty children aged between six and seven getting massacred in Sandy Hook isn't enough to spark change, nothing ever will be.

Yep :( I hate to say it but if it was almost any other country, something would of changed.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it would be better to ban SSRIs

thats what causes these mass shootings

What's an SSRI?
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    What's an SSRI?

A form of anti depressant, something that millions of people take across the world (including me) every day and do not feel inclined to commit mass murder

Its better to say that the type of person who is likely to want to kill someone in order to fix their perceived 'problem', has mental health issues and some sort of disorder, and that therefore they are more likely to be on psychiatric medication, than that the medication itself caused or contributed to the mass killing.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    What's an SSRI?

The most common family of anti-depressant tablets (Prozac etc) which are taken by millions around the world.

It appears the gunman was on one of these medications, so the gun lobby in the US are putting the massacre down to that.
  • Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    'I will give you my gun when you prey it from my cold, dead hand.'

Apparently this is the motto of the American Gun club I believe.

I find it terrifying in the extreme.

Maybe the law/constitution needs altering but I doubt it will happen while Obama is president. Still, it's a start.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of these rabid redneck gun nuts love their weapons more than their own families.

I can just imagine them in their bedrooms when everyone has gone out lovingly caressing the barrel and then sticking their todger up it.

Leader of the free world my arse.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of these rabid redneck gun nuts love their weapons more than their own families.

I can just imagine them in their bedrooms when everyone has gone out lovingly caressing the barrel and then sticking their todger up it.

Better if they stuck the barrel up the latter end.....and fired!

Not sure if anyone saw Channel4 news this evening but there was another pro-NRA guy spouting the usual gibberish about, "you see this was a 'bad guy' with a gun and if only the Pastor had allowed his people to take firearms into church....but he was anti-gun and that's how the 'bad guy' killed these people...".

God give me strength!! >:(>:(

Some of them think they still live in the Wild West with 'goodies' and 'baddies'.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Here's a few "posh" rednecks spouting drivel. Fox news, quelle surprise?

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/06/18/3671110/state-gun-laws-south-carolina/
    JUSTICE
    Fox And Friends Say More Guns Would Have Stopped The Charleston Church Massacre

The positive results in Australia from tackling this archaic thinking and action?

Guess what? Positive.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/dec/14/america-mass-murder-australia-gun-control-saves-lives

And a hideous US gun freedom twist of fate.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/when-australians-gave-back-their-guns/2013/08/23/108458dc-0c09-11e3-8974-f97ab3b3c677_story.html
  • Phil_SheridanPhil_Sheridan Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    'I will give you my gun when you prey it from my cold, dead hand.'

Apparently this is the motto of the American Gun club I believe.

I find it terrifying in the extreme.

Maybe the law/constitution needs altering but I doubt it will happen while Obama is president. Still, it's a start.

Actually Charlton Heston, then president of the National Rifle Association, said "from my cold dead hands" at the NRA convention in 2000.
    The intimation (to Al Gore I think) was 'you'll have to take my gun from my cold, dead hands.'
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not really surprised FOX are taking the "more guns" stance - they always have.

I'd like to see how long they'd last in a world where everyone was armed and minor disputes became deadly ones. Who would they arm them to counteract that ?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    “Every country has violent, hateful or mentally unstable people,” Obama said. “What’s different is not every country is awash with easily accessible guns.”

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-obama-mayors-20150619-story.html

Sums it up ..
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nail on head in one sentence from Obama.....but they won't listen to reasoned logic and certainly don't accept fact.
  • happygirl22happygirl22 Posts: 409
    Forum Member
    As much as I believe in free speech, discussion etc...please don't bother even getting involved in this one...the OP has no intention of having a serious debate about this, and will not respond to anyone else's comments.

Just look at their post history, tells you all you need to know.

There are probably serious issues and debates to be had regarding this issue...but this is not one of them.

there is no serious issue here, you just can't give any Tom dick or Harry the right to a gun
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »

So you want to tell peaceful law abiding people that you're going to disarm them leaving the state and criminals with weapons?
    Why not just put all efforts into removing them from criminals? Because that is never going to be achieved so expecting people to give up their defence is a non-starter.
  • Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there is no serious issue here, you just can't give any Tom dick or Harry the right to a gun
    When your constitution says otherwise it's nigh on impossible to remove that right.
  • GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member

It's not that simple, though. Switzerland has the highest rate of gun ownership in Europe yet has a much lower homicide rate than the UK does.
  • happygirl22happygirl22 Posts: 409
    Forum Member
    When your constitution says otherwise it's nigh on impossible to remove that right.

So how come people are saying the founding fathers would turn in their graves then?didnt they write the constitution?
  • mrtdg82mrtdg82 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you want to tell peaceful law abiding people that you're going to disarm them leaving the state and criminals with weapons?
    Why not just put all efforts into removing them from criminals? Because that is never going to be achieved so expecting people to give up their defence is a non-starter.

Not immediately but over time it will work.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Sorry havent read all the thread, did anyone else catch the interview on channel 4 news with two american spokespeople?

One of them went as far to actually say on tv that if all of the victims had been carrying guns themselves then this shooting wouldnt have been as bad as it was! How disrespectful to the people who were murdered to blame them for not shooting back.

How can you blame obama for not doing anything when this is the mentality? Americas answer to everything is "more guns".

Of course this shooting wont have any impact at all because they arent seeing it as a gun issue, but more of a racist attack.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrtdg82 wrote: »
    Easiest way would be to change the amendment so that firearms are only permitted at your home. Ban conceal/open carry.

That wouldn't prevent tragic events likes this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33115246

and this http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/threeyearold-boy-shoots-baby-braylon-robinson-dead-in-latest-us-child-gun-accident-10173290.html

There is a lot I like and respect about the USA but they really need to get over their obsession with guns. As for Obama, he's had 7 years to do something about gun control but his record is actually worse than Bush before him.