Options

Carl King - any redeeming features?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick Miles wrote: »
    OK first off he didn't murder the postie, that was an accident from the guy clowning about on top of scaffolding when he knew Carl was scared of heights.

His Dad at Christmas was a bit different, but this was a man who was controlling every aspect of his life, including forbidding him to be with Chas, the love of his life.

He's consumed with self-loathing as a result of his experiences and as such one of the most interesting characters in Emmerdale.

Brilliantly played as well by Tom Lister in a gruelling and thankless role.

First of all I thought it might be someone pretending to be you but I just had a look back through some of your other posts and it appears you are indeed the real Mr Miles :D. Hello there.

I think it's great that you have been posting and good to have an insight from t'other side of the fence so to speak and also so you can see what the viewers think about things. I think someone from Corrie should post (assuming they don't already under a different name to their own) or maybe some of them already lurk but don't post.

Anyway, thought I'd say hello and welcome.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    gboy wrote: »
    Carl certainly seems to like a quiet life - hence no babies with Lexi/interfering fathers/patronizing brothers, etc, etc.

Ultimately, I'm sure he'll get back with Chas.

I think you're right about Chas - they're soulmates.

He's taking having a quiet life to the extreme though - no babies, throwing his father- at speed -through a plate glass window & aiding his brother's propulsion through a car windscreen.
    If I were Lexi I'd run as fast & as far as I could - & keep running!:D
  • Options
    mr. mustardmr. mustard Posts: 48,888
    Forum Member
    Nick Miles wrote: »
    that was an accident from the guy clowning about on top of scaffolding when he knew Carl was scared of heights.
    I thought it was Paul who was scared of heights :confused: I seem to recall Carl threw something for him to catch, then Paul accidentally fell backwards off the scaffolding.

I might be wrong though.
  • Options
    gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoJoMac wrote: »
    I think you're right about Chas - they're soulmates.

He's taking having a quiet life to the extreme though - no babies, throwing his father- at speed -through a plate glass window & aiding his brother's propulsion through a car windscreen.
    If I were Lexi I'd run as fast & as far as I could - & keep running!:D

Or just jump off the roof - whichever's quicker
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carl and Chas are better characters together. They seem happy and fun when together. ATM as he is with Lexi he seems bored and unhappy, and Chas just seems to be wallpaper while she plays happy families with Paddy. (Possibly the absolute worst pairing ever in Emmerdale IMO)
    I would love to see a reunion that lasts between them though. Maybe them getting and staying married, or even having a baby! (Would be interesting what with Nic and Jim's little un and Aaron lurking around!) I don't think anyone would want to see another rerun of them getting together and breaking up.

Chas reminds me of a blow up doll full stop. Same expressions no matter what the situation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *shakes head*

I can't believe all the Carl hate.

Ok...well I can, he's been pretty heartless with Lexi of late and he's hardly a pillar of virtue. Plus he has had a role in an unfortunate amount of deaths. I do feel sorry for him that he's trapped in a marriage he hates to a woman he doesn't love. I know it's own fault and he never should have done it in the first place but I think when Chas rejected him on his wedding day, it really terrified him. I don't think he could handle being on his own. I agree that he has an awful lot of self-loathing.

Carl King should move to Ireland. We love him so much over here we throw awards at him. I was delighted when Tom Lister got the TV Now here.

I've always been a big fan.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I've said already that I don't hate Carl. He is at his worst right now - spineless and set against Lexi, who is being portrayed in a tragic light. In fact, I think 'spineless' sums up what I tend to see as his worst qualities. The fact that he never seems to bother with his two children either!

However, I think he was brilliant when paired with Chas and I have always liked the dynamics he has/had with his brothers. The tension and the spats with Matthew and the cuter teasing scenes with Jimmy.

Looking forward to next Thursday! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree Water Kelpie his biggest problem is his severe cowardice.
  • Options
    BatisseBatisse Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was quite shocked at the scene with Chas in last nights show. Shocked at how natural they work together. The dynamic and the chemistry with Tom and Lucy is very good and the acting was excellent especially the quickness of the mood change when poor Lexi joined them in the Woolie
  • Options
    Bonny1Bonny1 Posts: 8,502
    Forum Member
    not keen on Chas, atall, however, she's looking much more groomed again, she looked lovely at the bar, with Carl, after going through a really bad, unkempt stripper, faze again....lol lol Sorry Chas..
  • Options
    mr. mustardmr. mustard Posts: 48,888
    Forum Member
    gboy wrote: »
    Or just jump off the roof - whichever's quicker
    It'd be nice for Carl to extend his hat trick of unnatural deaths :p
  • Options
    cazzbarcazzbar Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't like Carl - is is just so dull.

However - I love Jimmy (if you're reading Mr Miles). :)
  • Options
    DuchessKittyDuchessKitty Posts: 821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Batisse wrote: »
    I was quite shocked at the scene with Chas in last nights show. Shocked at how natural they work together. The dynamic and the chemistry with Tom and Lucy is very good and the acting was excellent especially the quickness of the mood change when poor Lexi joined them in the Woolie

I was thinking the same thing when I watched the episode! Loved how Lexi gave them a bit of an evil when she walked in and how the conversation died as she sat down! I even thought Diane was looking a bit awkward at that point too!
    I thought all 4 (Chas, Carl, Lexi and Diane) were good in the scene. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    ive always loved carl :o hence my dislike of lexi.

but i am a carl and chas fan. (most beautiful girl in emmerdale :p)

carl is a coward, and a pain in ther arse atm, but hes always been a good character throughout the years. i find myself still caring about him despite the frustrating lexi storylines going on atm.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Total slimeball. Jimmy outshines him in every possible way.
  • Options
    Sun_BeamSun_Beam Posts: 11,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dont particularly love Carl, but I dont hate him, either as Matthew was much worse and more unlikable as he was so damn smug and rude. Not keen on Lexi, never have been. She married Carl knowing his heart wasn't in it because he still loves Chas, but she was desperate to nab him in order to lead a nice life and to get the 2.4 family she's always wanted. It all goes pete tong when.....
    Nicola gives birth and Lexi snatches the baby and takes to the roof. Jimmy wants Carl to say all the right things to get her and the baby down safely, but he ends up telling her he doesn't wants kids as he doesn't love her and ever has.
  • Options
    cleo petracleo petra Posts: 984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spineless wimp!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    cleo petra wrote: »
    spineless wimp!

Here here - :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well what do ya know - Carl comes clean (for once).

Can't feel for any of them though - Carl is so wrapped up in his own problems, Lexi isn't believable & Nicola is just ..well Nicola - like Carl really - no redeeming features.

So, what next?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carl has had a great character progression over the years, I personally don't find him dull. The entire King family has been through a great deal and different characters have moved in different directions. Whilst Jimmy the bully has had to face up to his demons about his Dad and has finally found some level of contentment with Nicola. I am loathe to go down the love of a good woman route but Carl was always kept relatively steady by the love and understanding he had with Chas. They were a fantastic pairing and Lister and Pargeter had brilliant chemistry (I love Lucy P when she is the calmer, reflective Chas even though I am amused by her brash persona too). What happened with Tom was a stroke of genius in terms of character progression; the rather mollycoddled Carl snapped about his relationship with Chas and the result was life changing. Carl is haunted by it - he has convinced himself that Lexi has a hold over him (regardless of the actual case) - and I feel that he will see what has happened this evening as a kind of escape route.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,168
    Forum Member
    Well what do ya know - Carl comes clean (for once).

in my eyes he has been redeemed!! :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    evamoo wrote: »
    in my eyes he has been redeemed!! :p

Yeah, go Carl:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Litchick wrote: »
    Carl has had a great character progression over the years, I personally don't find him dull. The entire King family has been through a great deal and different characters have moved in different directions. Whilst Jimmy the bully has had to face up to his demons about his Dad and has finally found some level of contentment with Nicola. I am loathe to go down the love of a good woman route but Carl was always kept relatively steady by the love and understanding he had with Chas. They were a fantastic pairing and Lister and Pargeter had brilliant chemistry (I love Lucy P when she is the calmer, reflective Chas even though I am amused by her brash persona too). What happened with Tom was a stroke of genius in terms of character progression; the rather mollycoddled Carl snapped about his relationship with Chas and the result was life changing. Carl is haunted by it - he has convinced himself that Lexi has a hold over him (regardless of the actual case) - and I feel that he will see what has happened this evening as a kind of escape route.

Carl King's P.A, News at Ten, Yorkshire :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Litchick wrote: »

Bravo! Couldnt agree more.

Carl is a nasty bas**** at the moment but I love him like that! Carl is a complex character who hates himself for what he has done and for who he ultimately is. If he couldnt go to prison for his crimes - his punishment was to lose the love of his life and marry someone else who didnt even come close to her - whilst having to see her every day with someone else.

Carl has always been spineless - its what makes Carl who he is. He's only ever himself around Jimmy and Chas. The two people who keep him sane.

Carl's guilt is making him feel like Lexi was forcing him into things and he did the only thing Carl knew what to do.....bury his head in the sand until everything falls apart around him.

He has lost everyone he loved....Tom, Chas and Matthew all through his own hot headedness and he has to live with it for the rest of his life. Its eats him up every day.

Tom portrays him wonderfully IMO.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carl King's P.A, News at Ten, Yorkshire :D

Apparently the cheque is in the post....