Options

Anyone stopped watching "Film 2010" ?

Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
Forum Member
✭✭
This programme used to be good when Barry Norman did it. It was bearable when Jonathan Ross did it, but now with Claudia Winkleman doing it, it is apalling
I watched two episodes until I couldn't stand it any more.
They have ruined this show.

Comments

• Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don’t worry, granny-face says she’ll stop doing it if she’s no good at it so no doubt her resignation is already on the commissioning editor’s desk as we speak.
  • Options
    Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While there are no doubt some people who have stopped watching Film 2010 because of Claudia Winkleman, the overall audience for the show has grown after a good start.

This time last year with Jonathan Ross it was getting around 800,000, but the new series began with 1.13 million and the latest episode got 1.34 million.
  • Options
    BrigonBrigon Posts: 2,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should be on earlier in the evening. I have no idea why there are no prime time shows that focus on what is new in movies & music & games
  • Options
    VabosityVabosity Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I may possibly be in a minority of one, and my opinion may change with time, but I actually think that Claudia Winkelman does a very good job of presenting Film 2010.
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've stopped watching.

I don't mind Claudia but I don't like the format of the show.

It's all a bit too arty farty for me.
  • Options
    wolfticketwolfticket Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually never liked the "stuff about the film followed by a review monologue" format.

This strikes me as being based on the Kermode/Mayo format, but with a more mainstream bent. It's obviously not as good (what conceivably could be? :)) but I have found it generally enjoyable, like the presenters and find what they have to say interesting. A big improvement all round.
  • Options
    parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still watching it but Claudia's combination of nerves and ego is a bit wearing, even tho' it's toned down compared to the Strictly ITT show.

I don't want the presenters of a movie review show to be entertaining, I just want intelligent opinions and facts from very articulate people.

parthena
  • Options
    hallamhallam Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    Stopped watching when Bazza left as I respected his opinion on most films. And going to Jonathan Ross or Claudia Winkleman for advice on films is a bit like going to Stephen Fry for advice on female sexuality. Plenty of decent film review sources on the net these days anyway, so no great loss.
  • Options
    GrahameSteeleGrahameSteele Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stopped watching after the first episode.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm still watching. Actually I've started watching on a regular basis again, since I actually stopped watching when Ross was doing it (can't fault his film knowledge, but can't stand his on-screen persona).

The new format is far from perfect, but I'm warming to it.
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People telling me what they felt about a film via psuedo-intellectual babble is not my thing really.

J Ross would at least attempt to review the films objectively.
  • Options
    KaylanKaylan Posts: 1,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This programme used to be good when Barry Norman did it. It was bearable when Jonathan Ross did it, but now with Claudia Winkleman doing it, it is apalling
    I watched two episodes until I couldn't stand it any more.
    They have ruined this show.

I am with you.

We (wife and I) watched one, she likes Ross (I dislike) and we both went what the ....

Bring back Barry or at worse ross!!!
  • Options
    googlekinggoogleking Posts: 15,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Don’t worry, granny-face says she’ll stop doing it if she’s no good at it so no doubt her resignation is already on the commissioning editor’s desk as we speak.

I would just like to have a massive LOL at "granny-face" :eek::D

The show should have been given to PAUL Ross. I agree that it's not just granny-face that's killed it, the entire format sucks now as do the co-presenters, but she does not help.
  • Options
    SupercellSupercell Posts: 5,079
    Forum Member
    I just don't like the two head thing...it was easy with Barry and Jonathan to work out what you might think of a film from what they said. Because they give two opinions if difficult to work out.

I do like their interviews though, with directors etc - they are much better than the fluffy ones other shows get. And there coverage of film festivals...but not too keen on the top tens.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brigon wrote: »
    It should be on earlier in the evening. I have no idea why there are no prime time shows that focus on what is new in movies & music & games

I agree with this.

In a nation of movie watchers and cinema goers I just can't understand how there isn't a mainstream, prime time film show.

Though saying that we're nation of football fans yet can't make a prime time highlights show work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with this.

In a nation of movie watchers and cinema goers I just can't understand how there isn't a mainstream, prime time film show.

Though saying that we're nation of football fans yet can't make a prime time highlights show work.

There is a world of difference between watching a film and watching a film review show.

It's like cooking and eating, same materials but very different activities.

Film reviewing will always be niche.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used to watch it and I love Claudia on anything - but when is it on? What night?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    googleking wrote: »
    I would just like to have a massive LOL at "granny-face" :eek::D

The show should have been given to PAUL Ross. I agree that it's not just granny-face that's killed it, the entire format sucks now as do the co-presenters, but she does not help.

I think the job should have gone to Johnny Vaughan.
  • Options
    DanslinkDanslink Posts: 8,365
    Forum Member
    I'm still watching but I am biased towards Claudia. I understand how people may not like Claudia;s presenting style but I love it. I like the conflicting opinons of Danny and Claudia- a bit of diversity.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HALibutt wrote: »
    I used to watch it and I love Claudia on anything - but when is it on? What night?

Tuesdays BBC1 at 10:35 (or thereabouts)
  • Options
    philoolaphiloola Posts: 3,149
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stopped after Ep1.

Don't mind CW but the format is awful. Dumbed down for the "I LUV 3D" generation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tuesdays BBC1 at 10:35 (or thereabouts)

Oh thankyou. I'll give it a watch next week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 499
    Forum Member
    She should give it up and the Beeb should give Mark Kermode the job he should of got in the first place
  • Options
    FuturespectFuturespect Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ross was great to watch when he did specials. He was a bit knobbish briefly during the Ditko programme, but he was also responsible for bringing a lot of brilliant things to the attention of a wider audience. He's possibly the only geek with a high level of TV skills*. If you wanted to know about chop-socky, anime, comics or Asian cinema, he was the go-to presenter.

As far as Film went, I don't think he was the right person for it in more recent years. He gave the impression of a man forced to balance bad reviews with good ones, regardless of that week's crop. This is why I think the modern Film is no longer worthwhile: the BBC don't want to turn their audience away with mass negativity. After all, many people watching are probably less critical than Ross was, had he been able to give unedited opinions.

Hence Winkleman. She represents the uncritical cinema-goer riding the big waves of mediocrity. I think Norman was lucky to have had Film at a time when he genuinely enjoyed lots of films. Mainstream quality was drying up by the time he left in the late-'90s, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the leading reason for his retirement.

There are two ways to make Film 2010 better represent me: chuck out the bulk of mainstream films and review anything of interest, of any age; or, allow the presenters to work without a remit in place, i.e. having free rein to slag whatever they like. I'm part of a minority, so that's not the greatest idea. From a corporate standpoint, Film 2010's just the ticket. (Hoho.)

*I like Stuart Maconie a lot, but he doesn't follow as many Asian angles as Ross.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ross was great to watch when he did specials. He was a bit knobbish briefly during the Ditko programme, but he was also responsible for bringing a lot of brilliant things to the attention of a wider audience. He's possibly the only geek with a high level of TV skills*. If you wanted to know about chop-socky, anime, comics or Asian cinema, he was the go-to presenter.

As far as Film went, I don't think he was the right person for it in more recent years. He gave the impression of a man forced to balance bad reviews with good ones, regardless of that week's crop. This is why I think the modern Film is no longer worthwhile: the BBC don't want to turn their audience away with mass negativity. After all, many people watching are probably less critical than Ross was, had he been able to give unedited opinions.

Hence Winkleman. She represents the uncritical cinema-goer riding the big waves of mediocrity. I think Norman was lucky to have had Film at a time when he genuinely enjoyed lots of films. Mainstream quality was drying up by the time he left in the late-'90s, and I wouldn't be surprised if that was the leading reason for his retirement.

There are two ways to make Film 2010 better represent me: chuck out the bulk of mainstream films and review anything of interest, of any age; or, allow the presenters to work without a remit in place, i.e. having free rein to slag whatever they like. I'm part of a minority, so that's not the greatest idea. From a corporate standpoint, Film 2010's just the ticket. (Hoho.)

*I like Stuart Maconie a lot, but he doesn't follow as many Asian angles as Ross.

I like your review of the programme at least, if not the actual programme.

I can't even remember what the two eps I saw were about, just emptyness. Like watching someone chew food.

Next week on Review the Film Programme: "Claudia Winkleman, the next Barry Norman?"