Options

Frankie Boyle’s Tramadol Nights

JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
Forum Member
✭✭✭
No thread? Will it be any good? Will it last more than 1 episode? Are Ofcom looking forward to it?

Questions will be answered at 10pm tonight on Channel 4.

Comments

• Options
    nhodkin147nhodkin147 Posts: 1,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is no doubt in my mind he'll stir up a pot full of controversy with this. It's Frankie Boyle! :D

There is also no doubt in my mind I am intensely looking forward to it. :D
  • Options
    stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm going to watch it but I don't like the idea of including pre-recorded sketches into the stand-up parts. I'll keep an open mind, but Frankie doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would work well in a sketch format. If it was 30 minutes of stand-up, it'd be great!
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if he'll make a few 'shocking' jokes about paedophiles, child abuse, dead celebrities and ugly people.

That would be an exciting move for his career.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stu0rt wrote: »
    I'm going to watch it but I don't like the idea of including pre-recorded sketches into the stand-up parts. I'll keep an open mind, but Frankie doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would work well in a sketch format. If it was 30 minutes of stand-up, it'd be great!

There was a article by Stew Lee in the Independent saying Rhod Gilbert (is rumoured to have) got £250,000 for his current DVD, and no one is going to put their best stand up on free tv at the moment, because we're in a 'comedy boom' and they can get paid far more, charging people to see it, on tour/dvd.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/stewart-lee-a-funny-thing-happened-to-comedy-2145510.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    He has worked on the sketch show circuit before with the BBC Three comedy "Rush Hour" a few years bk so i think itll work well and i hope he dont use any of his stand up routine from his lastest tour as am seeing him live mid Dec

But looks good and will defo give it a go as think hes a brill comedian
  • Options
    SatnavvySatnavvy Posts: 5,211
    Forum Member
    JCR wrote: »
    There was a article by Stew Lee in the Independent saying Rhod Gilbert (is rumoured to have) got £250,000 for his current DVD, and no one is going to put their best stand up on free tv at the moment, because we're in a 'comedy boom' and they can get paid far more, charging people to see it, on tour/dvd.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/stewart-lee-a-funny-thing-happened-to-comedy-2145510.html

I am at a loss to understand why anyone would pay Rhod Gilbert for anything:confused:
  • Options
    mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll check this out
  • Options
    PerkyPerkinsPerkyPerkins Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    Satnavvy wrote: »
    I am at a loss to understand why anyone would pay Rhod Gilbert for anything:confused:

Completely agree...and he comes across as quite unpleasant and self-satisfied, in my opinion.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

Boyle has already said his current tour/DVD would be his last.

I watched it last week and it was brutal :D
    Offensive from the word go. Bloody loved it.

Looking forward to tonights show but I hope it isn't a let down.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We will be let down
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's not exactly news. After you've done something on TV, you can't repeat it at future gigs so you just go on and do last year's material which a lot of the TV audience won't have seen and then your current set is safe.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey - straight into it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't take him long to get to the Pope and paedophiles.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loving it already
  • Options
    G926G926 Posts: 1,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frankie Boyle let loose, loving this.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Satnavvy wrote: »

I'd pay him......to shut up with that stupid shouting!
  • Options
    iiHEARTy0uiiHEARTy0u Posts: 13,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not liking the first sketch..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haha, loose women Iran
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sketches are p*ss poor!
  • Options
    gottagogottago Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprisingly weak so far. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sketches are p*ss poor!

The Knight Rider one went on for too long.

Loose Women Iran was funny. :D
  • Options
    dancing ledgedancing ledge Posts: 13,902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stu0rt wrote: »

I agree. Sketch shows are harder to pull off than stand-up. The NightRider sketch was difficult for me because I've never seen NightRider. But it was worse than I feared: not only can Frankie not act, but it went on too long for a sketch. The Loose Women thing, by contrast, was short and worked--though it was clumsily edited in with the stand up, which is pretty good.
  • Options
    sn_22sn_22 Posts: 6,477
    Forum Member
    Well the stand up parts are just, well, typical Frankie Boyle stand-up. Some will like it, some will loathe it.

But the sketch parts are absolutely abysmal. Did nobody think to tell him the Knight Rider thing wasn't funny?! Surely you put your best sketches up front on the first show?! What a bloody disaster. :eek:
  • Options
    ChibiCandiChibiCandi Posts: 966
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, The Green Mile parody crossed the line... BAD.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    This is going to tank, I know it... disjointed and the sketches aren't very good.