How unions spend their money.

1235»

Comments

• TimCypherTimCypher Posts: 9,052
    Forum Member
    True, but those on the lowest salaries are usually the ones who have the most to gain from strike action.

And strike action is not "foisted" on anybody.

It takes place as a result of a majority vote of the membership.

Do you want to deny them that right?

Absolutely not, but I never said I did.

My point is: say, you have a guy who has a family with a disabled child, who hasn't got savings in the bank as he's stretched thin already.

That person is clearly in a different boat to the others - need not be that, could be a hundred reasons as to why their personal circumstance is different, and why they're more 'stretched'.

They may not have voted in favour of the strike in the first place as they knew it would bring hardship upon their already hard-up familiy, but, if they cross the picket line, they risk the opprobrium of their colleagues - 'scab', 'traitor' etc...

So it's not as simple as saying that all the workers are in the same boat...strike action favours those that can afford to forgo their salary, and punishes those that can't.

Regards,

Cypher
  • MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The sheer bravery of the miners and their families who fought for so long against the tyranny of an ideologue madwoman,

Yet couldn't be bothered to strike against the Labour Government that closed many more pits....
    Forum Member
    Majlis wrote: »
    Yet couldn't be bothered to strike against the Labour Government that closed many more pits....

Well, they'd have looked pretty daft fighting what is supposed to be their own political wing.

Trade unionism should be decoupled from politics, as should big business too.

Regards,

Cypher
  • GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    TimCypher wrote: »
    Absolutely not, but I never said I did.

My point is: say, you have a guy who has a family with a disabled child, who hasn't got savings in the bank as he's stretched thin already.

That person is clearly in a different boat to the others - need not be that, could be a hundred reasons as to why their personal circumstance is different, and why they're more 'stretched'.

They may not have voted in favour of the strike in the first place as they knew it would bring hardship upon their already hard-up familiy, but, if they cross the picket line, they risk the opprobrium of their colleagues - 'scab', 'traitor' etc...

So it's not as simple as saying that all the workers are in the same boat...strike action favours those that can afford to forgo their salary, and punishes those that can't.

Regards,

Cypher

In the scenario you have painted I have no doubt the striker concerned would get assistance from the union's strike fund (if they're allowed to have such things by this anti-union govt in the future, of course).
  • FrankieHowerdFrankieHowerd Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the scenario you have painted I have no doubt the striker concerned would get assistance from the union's strike fund (if they're allowed to have such things by this anti-union govt in the future, of course).

Yes.In la-la land!:p;):p
  • duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very true.

The sheer bravery of the miners and their families who fought for so long against the tyranny of an ideologue madwoman, and the dignity with which many returned to work marching behind their banners was a joy to behold, especially as many had lost everything.

Shame that they were not supported by all in the TU movement - and betrayed by the Notts. miners.

"Beaten but not bowed."

What a load of propaganda.

Arthur Scargill had his own agenda. That was to bring down the Tory Government and replace Maggie with his own little puppet, in the shape of Tony Benn.

His strike was nothing to do with Tory closures of pits. After all the previous Labour Gov't were responsible for closing a greater number.

It's just a damn shame that a workforce and their families were put through the whole strike, just to pander to the ego of a complete and utter prick.
  • FrankieHowerdFrankieHowerd Posts: 818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Arthur Scargill had his own agenda. That was to bring down the Tory Government and replace Maggie with his own little puppet, in the shape of Tony Benn.

His strike was nothing to do with Tory closures of pits. After all the previous Labour Gov't were responsible for closing a greater number.

It's just a damn shame that a workforce and their families were put through the whole strike, just to pander to the ego of a complete and utter prick.

All from his Barbican flat! On a miner's wage?:confused:;):confused:
  • GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member

They were fighting for the future of their communities.

Scargill has been proved right, of course.

And do you really think that hard-bolied miners went through everything they did just to pander to another's ego?

You're living in a Daily Mail-created fantasy land.
  • duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were fighting for the future of their communities.

Scargill has been proved right, of course.

Has he indeed? Proved right that Maggie would close more pits than Labour? Proved right that the pits could produce coal cheaper than their competitors?

Proved right that British Coal wasn't losing £727 million (£1.4 Billion in todays money) per year
    And do you really think that hard-bolied miners went through everything they did just to pander to another's ego?

You're living in a Daily Mail-created fantasy land.

They must have done GGP. After all they blindly followed the idiot without even being given the basic right to vote on the action.
    Forum Member

And if that money is insufficient (or it runs out) so the worker is unable to support his family, I assume there would be no problems if they returned to work with the full backing of the union?

Regards,

Cypher
  • nothing on tvnothing on tv Posts: 5,044
    Forum Member
    is there a role for unions in 2011?

I would say yes