Why so much hate?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
Forum Member
✭✭
This is one of the most hateful sub-section of this forum and the hate is directed towards fictional people.

If a person does not like a character they direct that hate towards the actors. I just don't understand it all, the actors are portraying a character, the dialogue and storyline are written for them.

They have no control over what story arc the shows creative outlet come-up with they just have to turn up and act (yes I know some of you will say some can't act) and if they don't agree with a storyline they really cannot do anything about apart from be out of work and believe it or not acting is a hard profession to get into and work is not guaranteed (unless your a Hollywood A-lister, with box office success).

In recent light of the Grey family reportedly leaving Corrie, some people have been venomous towards the actors, referring to their acting ability...etc but has it every occurred to those people, that it's a case of not being given a fair amount of screen time, that is required to make an impact.

Take for instance Becky, although I dislike the character because of her selfish trait, I only know she is selfish because her story had been developed and it is a reoccurring theme, that character has had storyline after storyline.

Just my thought.

Comments

• bolam2011bolam2011 Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its just not fictional characters. Some of the abuse that Bryan Kirkwood and Kym Marsh gets could be seen as boarderline harassment. However it is the nature of forums.
  • ConsigliereConsigliere Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually don't hate Sean from Corrie, because he's - as you say - just a fictional character.

I do hate Antony (pig-face) Cotton though :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually don't hate Sean from Corrie, because he's - as you say - just a fictional character.

But why do you hate the actor? I haven't seen any news items about him that may sway my neutral stand point on him.
  • bazellisbazellis Posts: 5,405
    Forum Member

LOL:D:D
  • ConsigliereConsigliere Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love_able wrote: »
    But why do you hate the actor? I haven't seen any news items about him that may sway my neutral stand point on him.

now that Bin Laden is dead, he's the most vile person on the planet. (just IMHO of course)
  • Face Of JackFace Of Jack Posts: 7,181
    Forum Member
    I cannot abide the character that is Phil Mitchell. But as regards Steve McFadden, he's probably a nice bloke. But I would like to see him in a different role - just to be sure he's not 'playing himself'!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is the nature of the beast that we hate the baddies.
    I'm afraid sometimes this hatred seeps into the real life actors copping some of the flack too.
    Most sensible people can differentiate between the two though. :D
  • Our NiallOur Niall Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    now that Bin Laden is dead, he's the most vile person on the planet. (just IMHO of course)

Okaaay... you have issues.

I'm by no means a fan of Sean as a character or Cotton as an actor but at the end of the day, it's a character/actor on a soap opera. Put that into context in the grand scheme of things.
  • unclekevounclekevo Posts: 20,749
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately it's the nature of this forum, people are very negative but OP if you think this place is bad, don't go near BB section, it makes this place seem like a land of flowers and lollipops.
  • EastEndFan05EastEndFan05 Posts: 4,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you think this is one of the most hateful sections you should visit the Showbiz Forum for an eye opener.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,749
    Forum Member
    Because it's digital spy. It would be considered a problem if there was 100% positivity in the soap section for one day :D;) but then again the amount of hate Cheryl Cole gets on the x factor and showbiz section.....makes this section seem normal!
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes this forum can be heavy, I wish we could all get along like we use to Primary School. I wish that I could bake a cake made of rainbows and smiles and we'd all eat it and be happy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    unclekevo wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's the nature of this forum, people are very negative but OP if you think this place is bad, don't go near BB section, it makes this place seem like a land of flowers and lollipops.

I used to look at the bb section when it was on, I put it down to obsessiveness with them in their...lol

Seriously though I'm really talking about people not being able to separate the actor from the character, at least participant of bb 'are real people' that are criticised for their actions. The soap stars are criticised because of their character's actions, which is unfair.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because it's digital spy. It would be considered a problem if there was 100% positivity in the soap section for one day :D;) but then again the amount of hate Cheryl Cole gets on the x factor and showbiz section.....makes this section seem normal!

Again Cheryl has somewhat warranted this sort of negativity, she is not a character although some might argue she is media trained and plays one, but her actions are that of the choices she makes in life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes this forum can be heavy, I wish we could all get along like we use to Primary School. I wish that I could bake a cake made of rainbows and smiles and we'd all eat it and be happy.

SHE DOSN'T EVEN GO HERE!

:D
  • Grape AdeGrape Ade Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    Maybe their lives aren't that very interesting or maybe they genuinely are over confident on the internet as it isn't face to face.

Maybe they are mean in real life and it projects over on here.

Plain jealousy as they may want to be actors.

Or plainly just to get a reaction on possibly a boring amount of threads!

Endless possibilities!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,750
    Forum Member
    People do have an entitlement to love or hate any character they choose, though. When it crosses over into making disparaging comments about actors, that's when it is out of order.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,005
    Forum Member
    Sylar11 wrote: »
    People do have an entitlement to love or hate any character they choose, though. When it crosses over into making disparaging comments about actors, that's when it is out of order.

Actors should not be so sensitive to criticism, they can't only expect to be praised. Criticism comes with the job. They put themselves in the public eye, they should expect both.
  • KatrinaKKatrinaK Posts: 32,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sylar11 wrote: »

I agree. Constructive criticism is fine as in making a critique of their performance as an actor/actress. We won't all be sold, fair enough. However bashing an actor as if you hold some sort of personal vendetta against them is completely unnecessary. I also find it quite unhealthy that some people can't separate a character from the actor/actress portraying them.

I will say though that this place has NOTHING on some other forums I've visited. Put it this way, don't get involved in some of the shipper wars on American fan forums. Honestly, this place is like a field of roses compared.

DS soaps forum has it's moments but apart from a very small minority, the posters are genuinely freindly and are able to engage in an intelligent debate without being blinded by thier own hatred and personal crusade against certain actors/characters. :)
  • sas6789sas6789 Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    catsmeow wrote: »
    Actors should not be so sensitive to criticism, they can't only expect to be praised. Criticism comes with the job. They put themselves in the public eye, they should expect both.
    I agree that people have every right to love or hate whatever character they want, but as for the criticism, if the actors do read these forums and see the criticism of them i highly doubt their all that bothered because the fact is that SOMEBODY must have thought they could act to an acceptable standard otherwise they wouldn't have got the job in the first place because after all you can't just walk into say the EE or Corrie studio and say "I can act, i'm a good actor etc give me a part", they have to pass an audition and beat off a lot of competition sometimes up to 1,500 hopefuls so i've read! Some people say they hire pretty woman and hunks purley on looks alone, i confess i know next to nothing about the profession, but i'd say that's a load of tosh considering the amount of out of work actors there are around they could easily find someone who could act and doesn't just have looks on their side.
  • KidPokerKidPoker Posts: 4,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why does everyone say it is directed at the actual actors / actresses? Please prove that.

When people direct criticism it is always against the character.

People can distinguish the difference between the two.