Options

Racism, is it plausible...

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
Forum Member
✭✭
Numerous occasions I have stumbled across discussions on this forum, where the topic of racism is being discussed and individuals like Cheryl Cole and Tulisa (maybe a bad example) are being accused of racism. People instantly shoot down these claims, based on there preference to date black/mixed men.

Now I am not calling these individuals racist, however when incidents have occurred, involving them. Which could easily be seen as racism and people have claimed that it is. Those very people are instantly shot down, because these women choose to date black/mixed men.

Now is it not plausible for a person to be attracted to someone of a different race and ultimately dates this person and still have racist views of their partners racial group?

Their partner and their family could be the only people of that race they associate with, because the feel a dislike/hate to other people of that race.

I only ask this question because so many people are quick to point out that, x is dating y who also happens to be z race, so their actions can not be racist.

What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love_able wrote: »
    What are your thoughts?

I have absolutely no idea.

Sorry, you're saying that can people who date those of a different race, still be racist?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BomoLad wrote: »
    I have absolutely no idea.

Sorry, you're saying that can people who date those of a different race, still be racist?

Yes, that is what I'm asking is short.
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, that is what I'm asking is short.

Then the answer is yes, surely.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now is it not plausible for a person to be attracted to someone of a different race and ultimately dates this person and still have racist views of their partners racial group?
    Probably yes. For example men in various cultures have had a low regard for women, but generally haven't avoided marrying them.
  • Options
    U96U96 Posts: 13,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I no longer post on race threads.Since it won't be there in the morning.
    Any opinion you like on DS as long as PC.Fact.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ↑↑ Well, it's a public forum so it's mainly for popular opinion. The Dale Farm thread has a lot of free expression though, which has surprised a few people.

But in the main people don't come here to be surprised. People go on the internet 'to be right' :D. We mainly do this by successfully sharing popular opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    U96 wrote: »

I used to ignore 'disability threads', but succumbed recently with a perfectly innocent and informative post towards someone who asked a simple question.

I received a reply from someone who attempted to basically abuse me for being disabled.

I clearly came out the victor as all this person did was show themselves up to be completely uninformed, bigotted, deprived of knowledge and presumptious.

*shrugs* their loss, let's hope they learn from it.

They may well have fairly good views on other things but maybe thought a cheap joke towards me would give them some sort of 'brownie' points.

Anyways PC is SHITE. FULL STOP. :D Opinions are more important and people shouldn't be scared to speak for fear of being shot down.

The only thing the PC brigade achieved was stop people thinking for themselves.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »
    I used to ignore 'disability threads', but succumbed recently with a perfectly innocent and informative post towards someone who asked a simple question.

I received a reply from someone who attempted to basically abuse me for being disabled.

I clearly came out the victor as all this person did was show themselves up to be completely uninformed, bigotted, deprived of knowledge and presumptious.

*shrugs* their loss, let's hope they learn from it.

They may well have fairly good views on other things but maybe thought a cheap joke towards me would give them some sort of 'brownie' points.

Anyways PC is SHITE. FULL STOP. :D Opinions are more important and people shouldn't be scared to speak for fear of being shot down.

The only thing the PC brigade achieved was stop people thinking for themselves.

Off topic on my own thread but who would someone be so hurtful towards you because your disabled? Their are many forms of disability and surely, they shouldn't have made a jibe at you. We are all an accident away from disability so they should show some compassion to others, because they could also be in your position...like I said all it takes is one accident or an illness.

Sorry to here that, you should have told him/her to take a running jump.
  • Options
    BomoLadBomoLad Posts: 17,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

May have been a bit of an off-colour remark given the circumstances.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I said that because I didn't want to swear and possibly get the thread locked...
  • Options
    Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Numerous occasions I have stumbled across discussions on this forum, where the topic of racism is being discussed and individuals like Cheryl Cole and Tulisa (maybe a bad example) are being accused of racism. People instantly shoot down these claims, based on there preference to date black/mixed men.

Now I am not calling these individuals racist, however when incidents have occurred, involving them. Which could easily be seen as racism and people have claimed that it is. Those very people are instantly shot down, because these women choose to date black/mixed men.

Their partner and their family could be the only people of that race they associate with, because the feel a dislike/hate to other people of that race.

I only ask this question because so many people are quick to point out that, x is dating y who also happens to be z race, so their actions can not be racist.

What are your thoughts?

Entirely possible in my opinion. Also consider that some people may not have a burning hatred or fear of another race but when they come across someone who they personally dislike who happens to be of another race, when it comes to insults they may decide to use race in their insults, just as some use the wearing of glasses as an insult or the colour of hair.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Off topic on my own thread but who would someone be so hurtful towards you because your disabled? Their are many forms of disability and surely, they shouldn't have made a jibe at you. We are all an accident away from disability so they should show some compassion to others, because they could also be in your position...like I said all it takes is one accident or an illness.

Thank you, sorry to take your thread OT Loveable.

*tuts*

It wasn't.

Linking this back to the opening post...... so many people 'excuse' certain attitudes thinking 'they would never do that'. But some people do, I've heard racist comments from a white mother with 5 black children.

It happens in all walks of life, we basically live in an unfair and unjust society.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suppose racist people can and do hook up with people they may be secretly or openly racist against. Perhaps for money or sexual gratification or some other reason. But I would imagine that it does occur.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    Well since a racist doesn't have to hate every single race, then yes, it's easily possible. A British person could be racist towards black people but be attracted to Asians.

If you mean can someone be racist and be attracted to and have a relationship with someone of a race they hate, then I guess it's possible. I can't say for sure, since I'm not racist, but I don't see why they wouldn't be attracted to someone from that race.
  • Options
    pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Well its racist to assume culture is race based. There are plenty of things to not like about other cultures.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheMunch wrote: »
    Well since a racist doesn't have to hate every single race, then yes, it's easily possible. A British person could be racist towards black people but be attracted to Asians.

If you mean can someone be racist and be attracted to and have a relationship with someone of a race they hate, then I guess it's possible. I can't say for sure, since I'm not racist, but I don't see why they wouldn't be attracted to someone from that race.

Oh dear :o (sorry BB related)

Do you realise you said British then though?
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    U96 wrote: »

Wrong. But feel free to take that stance if it means you get to have a moan about people legitimately challenging you on your views. If your opinions are solid and you can clearly explain and justify your views and not just copy paste from 'questionable' sources then you'll be fine. If you can't do that then expect other FMs to point out the clear gaps in your logic.

That's how it is on here just as it is in real life.
  • Options
    OnlyWayIsEpicsOnlyWayIsEpics Posts: 2,544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem is not that many people seem to be able to distinquish between someone doing/saying something that coud be considered racist and someone being a racist full stop.

Often a celebrity with a previosuly clean record may say something a bit on the edge and instead of seeing it as a one off we seem to just label them 'a racist' which is unhelpful.

I suspect there are very few racists in this country (which IMO would be someone who genuinely believes in racial supremecy as a genereal rule) but most people (of all races) can say something racist (especially when angry) on occassion; but there is a big difference between the two.
  • Options
    2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'very few racists in this country'

Oh how I laughed! It is indeed unhelpful to mention racism when it isn't relevant to situation but it is laughable to think someone genuinely believes there are a 'handful' of racists in this country. I can tell you from first hand experience it is most certainly not a 'handful'. Oh and the number of people arrested for race related crimes, the number of online race related websites, political groups and 'social/casual' organisations, heck some of the views on this forum all clearly indicate it most certainly is not a 'handful' ;)
  • Options
    Tian LongTian Long Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    Of course, you can like an individual, but not like the race in general.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    'very few racists in this country'

Oh how I laughed! It is indeed unhelpful to mention racism when it isn't relevant to situation but it is laughable to think someone genuinely believes there are a 'handful' of racists in this country. I can tell you from first hand experience it is most certainly not a 'handful'. Oh and the number of people arrested for race related crimes, the number of online race related websites, political groups and 'social/casual' organisations, heck some of the views on this forum all clearly indicate it most certainly is not a 'handful' ;)

We as a nation are one of the least racist in the world.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 318
    Forum Member
    Tian Long wrote: »
    We as a nation are one of the least racist in the world.

Definitely. If you want to see racism at its worst, go to places like Pakistan, Iraq etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    srdawkcab wrote: »
    Definitely. If you want to see racism at its worst, go to places like Pakistan, Iraq etc.

Even compared to many other developed nations such as Australia, France and the USA......the UK is still leagues ahead on racial issues.
  • Options
    makara80makara80 Posts: 3,033
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What are your thoughts?

I really wouldn't use the Cheryl Cole 'incident' as an example of anything really as there's enough reason to suspect the toilet attendant added the racial element into her version of events for financial gain/strengthen her argument.

She was after all, studying law at the time I think and presumably worked cleaning toilets to support her studies... then someone famous comes along and hits her = cash register say 'cha-ching', especially if it was a 'racist attack'. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    makara80 wrote: »
    I really wouldn't use the Cheryl Cole 'incident' as an example of anything really as there's enough reason to suspect the toilet attendant added the racial element into her version of events for financial gain/strengthen her argument.

She was after all, studying law at the time I think and presumably worked cleaning toilets to support her studies... then someone famous comes along and hits her = cash register say 'cha-ching', especially if it was a 'racist attack'. :D

I understand where your coming from, however let's take away the 'financial gain' that the toilet attendant may have conjured up. And just think about it from the angle I was trying to get.

Let's say she did racially abuse the toilet attendant (because only she and the toilet attendant know the truth and one of them is lying), could she not still have a hatred for black people but still choose to date black men.

A family member of mine had a girlfriend and this girlfriend only exclusively dated black men, however she didn't have any black female friends and in-fact the only black men she knew where her friend partners. I never thought anything of it before, but her mother is racist and dislike the fact she has mixed race children. And this got me think maybe she is also racist based on her choice not to have black friends.

I can't imaging having a preference to date a race other than my own and not have a single friend or acquaintance who is the same race as my partner.

Us humans are a complicated species that is for sure.