Rebecca Adlington retires....at 23

Comments

• UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wondered when Frankie Boyle would get dragged into it, and is there anything wrong with valid criticism of the saintly addlington.

Dear god better sport stars than her get ripped apart here on DS everyday,
    There isn't anything valid about your criticism. It has no facts to back it up.

No-one's calling her a saint either. I don't even follow the sport but her record of achievement speaks for itself despite your opinion.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member
    After four pages of comments so far - did anyone actually listen to what she said at the press conferenece?

Exactly this.

She began to ramble a bit in answer to one question - but in it openly admitted that she got to enjoy the "lifestyle" after Beijing and found it too hard to get back into training and motivation. She got too heavily into charity work, and telly appearances, and giving her name to this and that. And still seems to prefer that...what's the old term? "Seduced by the camera"???

And I wonder how much of it was because all parties thought her Beijing wins simply made her a shoo-in for London???

But I can't help wondering how much this motivational aspect, the getting of athletes back to the grindstone...is down to the apparent failues of the (former) Uk Director of Swimming? Surely it was he and his staff's job to get athletes back at the coalface of 5am every morning for two hours...ASAP? Isn't that supposed to be why we have this top tier of national sport "strategic" management, to ensure we don't rely on individual trainers/athletes? To oversee their training regimes?

This isn't china. If she does prefer life outside the pool, then she should retire. It's her decision to make. She doesn't owe the public anything.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No mate I'm just giving my opinion, I'll leave the trolling up to you.

Thanks for confirming and I'm not your mate!;)
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    first thought I had when I heard - that it was a bit weak quitting. But it's her decision to make, if she has an alternative job path she enjoys more than swimming massive distances each day.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Adlington is not as pretty as Jessica Ennis and people judge her on that with a prejudice that tends to ignore her achievements.
  • Rowan HedgeRowan Hedge Posts: 3,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KidMoe wrote: »
    Aye, appearances at two olympics, winning medals at both, is "third rate".

Why can't you accept people have the right to dislike her and her average performances, this retiring is a cop out, 23 is no age at all and if she wanted to she could have competed in maybe one more even two Olympics.

As much as I dislike beckham, even he was still competing successfully until 2010 at international level, but then again he does put the effort and commitment in regardless of his off the pitch antics, so it is hogwash that she retires at 23.
  • Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She does have a say in it too remember. Maybe she just decided she doesn't want to anymore. That is allowed. I'd rather she does what she wants to do rather than spend the next four years working her arse off just to make up the numbers.

"Beijing changed my entire life, everyone wanted to learn about me. It was the best moment of my entire career and I am so glad my (800m) world record still stands.
    "But it's time. I certainly can't compete with that (younger swimmers). I can't do the same level of work, I need far more time for recovery."
    Adlington's announcement came less than 24 hours after her coach and mentor since the age of 12 Bill Furniss was unveiled as the new Great Britain coach and she paid tribute to him and her family.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/swimming/9849313/Rebecca-Adlington-announce-retirement-from-swimming.html
  • candyfloss2000candyfloss2000 Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    Adlington is not as pretty as Jessica Ennis and people judge her on that with a prejudice that tends to ignore her achievements.

presumptuous comment. Maybe a reflection of your own views. Cheap shot.
  • Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why can't you accept people have the right to dislike her and her average performances, this retiring is a cop out, 23 is no age at all and if she wanted to she could have competed in maybe one more even two Olympics.

As much as I dislike beckham, even he was still competing successfully until 2010 at international level, but then again he does put the effort and commitment in regardless of his off the pitch antics, so it is hogwash that she retires at 23.

Because everyone is telling you WHY she isn't as you describe and all you are offering a 'because I think so and I'm entltled to my opinion' response. You are entitled to it but don't expect people to just sit back if they can offer evidence that you are speaking blx! Why do you expect people to simply accept your view?
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member

Of course you can dislike her. Why can't you accept that people disagree with you?

To call 2 Olympic golds and a world record average or third rate is just plain daft, and to compare her retirement age to a footballer - a sport that requires nowhere near the level of physical training and commitment that swimming does - is equally so. Even 23 is relatively old for her sport, let alone 27 or 31.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    petertard wrote: »

One needs to like a lady because of her personality, and not just because of her looks. So many people so are superficial these days.
  • premixxedpremixxed Posts: 3,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which 800m male swimmers have won gold medals at multiple Olympics?

Your right, they usually win golds in various strokes.

Can I stop playing DA now please?
  • phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But I can't help wondering how much this motivational aspect, the getting of athletes back to the grindstone...is down to the apparent failues of the (former) Uk Director of Swimming? Surely it was he and his staff's job to get athletes back at the coalface of 5am every morning for two hours...ASAP? Isn't that supposed to be why we have this top tier of national sport "strategic" management, to ensure we don't rely on individual trainers/athletes? To oversee their training regimes?

She does have a say in it too remember. Maybe she just decided she doesn't want to anymore. That is allowed. I'd rather she does what she wants to do rather than spend the next four years working her arse off just to make up the numbers.

Of course she's allowed; the problem is however...by her own words...that she allowed it to creep in starting immediately after Beijing...
    This isn't china. If she does prefer life outside the pool, then she should retire. It's her decision to make. She doesn't owe the public anything.

....and if it's going to happen, and as she says she realised it was happening - then you pull the plug early enough to let someone else come to the fore in time for the next Olympics. Let someone else get the 3-4 years' funding that might make all the difference.

Are these not conscientious sportsmen and women? If they know their interest and motivation is waning....it's not fair to deprive someone else of the VERY scant resources (let's face it) allocated to funding.
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    premixxed wrote: »
    Serious question, I don't know the answer.

Why do male swimmers win medals in multiple Olympics?

Adlington has now won medals in multiple Olympics. Male distance swimmers tend to peak a bit later. That doesn't make it any easier. Hackett accomplished back to back golds and a silver but he's not only considered the best distance freestyler in history but among the all time greats full stop. I don't think Adlington was over the hill last year by any means but by Rio it would be pushing things.

Adlington was 19 in Beijing and she was nearer to peak then, really. That's actually slightly above the average age for a gold medal winner in the women's 800. Every time the world record has been broken in this event it has always been done by a teenager.
  • Conor the BoldConor the Bold Posts: 1,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your right, they usually win golds in various strokes.

Can I stop playing DA now please?

You can do whatever you want.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    el_bardos wrote: »
    She’s achieved more at 23 than most of the scornful posters will manage in their lifetimes. The only person she owes anything to is herself, certainly not a bunch of random forum members and she’s more than entitled to stop whenever she chooses, regardless of whether she could win more.

Well said. The amount of spite on this thread is remarkable - though sadly not surprising.

She's a fantastic young woman who has achieved so much so far and she always comes across as a really friendly down-to-earth girl.

I hope she goes onto further success without having to get up at 5am each day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And let's face it - she wasn't the ONLY British Olympian did it this year...

Remember all this crap?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18902926

"I knew I would be rusty because it's been a while..."
    Idowu's pre-Games whereabouts had been a concern, with athletics head coach Charles van Commenee, who has had an uneasy relationship with Idowu since the jumper pulled out of last year's European Team Championships, saying his chances of winning a medal had been compromised by "going missing".

Idowu had not jumped since 1 June and pulled out of meetings in Oslo, Paris and London, as well as the Olympic trials in Birmingham.

It had "been a while"??? In other words...he wasn't training???
  • tremetreme Posts: 5,445
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    What exactly does that mean?

It means that the old retort "She'll be a better swimmer (or dancer, singer, novellist, musician, ice-skater etc etc, whatever the profession being criticised) than you'll ever be" is an empty one. People judge her swimming against other swimmers of similar calibre, not their own feeble efforts down at the municipal.
  • Paradise_LostParadise_Lost Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Of course she's allowed; the problem is however...by her own words...that she allowed it to creep in starting immediately after Beijing...

....and if it's going to happen, and as she says she realised it was happening - then you pull the plug early enough to let someone else come to the fore in time for the next Olympics. Let someone else get the 3-4 years' funding that might make all the difference.

Are these not conscientious sportsmen and women? If they know their interest and motivation is waning....it's not fair to deprive someone else of the VERY scant resources (let's face it) allocated to funding.

Truthfully, compared to most western countries, swimming included, sport in this country has been more than sufficiently funded and that goes well beyond just one or two swimmers in any given event. Adlington didn't deprive anyone of funding.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why should she, she's made for life financially.

Any idea how much she is worth?
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Any idea how much she is worth?
    She has a sponsorship with Speedo, my guess is she's receiving somewhere in the 6 figures (no concrete figures here). probably not a life changing amount but a nice chunk of change none the less

http://www.rebeccaadlington.co.uk/news--events/speedo-sponsorship.aspx
  • premixxedpremixxed Posts: 3,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm really inarticulate,
    You purvey my stupidity into a cognitive dialogue.

P.S. Love reading your history.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/swimming/20755022

Like everything, it's a budget that has to be shared out ;) And that's not a small cut in swimming funding....it's nearly 15%!
    that goes well beyond just one or two swimmers in any given event. Adlington didn't deprive anyone of funding.

If a dozen people get funding in a particular sport, and one of them knows that his or her motivation isn't what it should be or was previously - then by deifinition person number 13 has been deprived of that funding....
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    treme wrote: »
    It means that the old retort "She'll be a better swimmer (or dancer, singer, novellist, musician, ice-skater etc etc, whatever the profession being criticised) than you'll ever be" is an empty one. People judge her swimming against other swimmers of similar calibre, not their own feeble efforts down at the municipal.

treme. I'm sure you are very nice person, but I have no idea what you are talking about most of the time. Most of what you say is just one big whoosh to me. :(

Have you got a very high IQ for instance, because most of what you say in reply to my posts just passes me by.
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gold2040 wrote: »
    She has a sponsorship with Speedo, my guess is she's receiving somewhere in the 6 figures (no concrete figures here). probably not a life changing amount but a nice chunk of change none the less

http://www.rebeccaadlington.co.uk/news--events/speedo-sponsorship.aspx

This is a bit of a strange one...

http://www.britishgas.co.uk/about-us/swimming-sponsorship/rebecca-adlington.html

Still if they're offering you six figures, maybe free gas bills too, why not? ;)