Options

F1 and Speedway!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
Forum Member
Is it me or does it seems to be the BBC and Sky seems to want to right up Bernie Ecclestone's short arse!! all this war with the F1 so a little short rich man with a younger wife and stroll around thinking he is king!!.... STOP!! F1 on the BBC coverage is excellent for 2 reasons (a) I pay my licence fee so i should get the coverage (b) i already pay tv licence why have to pay an extra £40/£45 a month for sports channels that mainly repeat crap!. Now i compain about the fact Speedway is not one of the BBC main fortay's although it is left to local radio to supply information... Now i feel maybe their should be some coverage because of the same answers (a) and (b) respond the same question raised here... Why WE the public should have to pay a licence fee THEN a sky or virgin FEE on top of that just because the BBC cannot be bothered and so SKY get the rights meaning if i want to watch F1 or Speedway i may STUPID amount of money out for that PLEASURE!

Comments

• Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,097
    Forum Member
    Paying the licence fee doesn't mean you should get coverage of anything.

Sports channels that mainly repeat crap? Really? Oh, there was me thinking sports channels regularly showed hours upon hours of live sport every day.

It's not a case of the BBC can't be bothered, it's called they only get so much money and have to spend it wisely. Would speedway get much in the way of viewing figures on the BBC? I doubt it.

Ultimately, your rant is a bit of a strange 1, as your argument basically seems to be "I pay the licence fee so show what I want to watch"
  • Options
    R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is not a case that the BBC cannot be bothered, but that the likes of Sky Sports and BT Sports have more money to spend on sport, so they can put in higher bids than the BBC can.

As an F1 fan myself I still aren't happy about what has happened to the BBC F1 coverage though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wait hang on then

Lets look at the facts..... Football gets 90% of sports coverage with shows like Football Focus, Final Score, Match Of The Day, The Football League Show, Late Kick Off... Then you got rugby, F1, Womens Football (which is as good as mens), NFL (really god knows why) at least the BBC can have ONE show on a saturday with speedway information!! WHAT DO YOU THINK THE BBC DO WITH THE ALL LICENCE FEE'S.... paying for talentless presenters and shows that has as much entertainment as my arse! if the bbc could cater for all sports they seems to cater to the sports they can get their hands on (Second rate shows that not even other channels want I.E NFL or american football WHY THE HELL! if they can get NFL or american football games then they can have 1 1hour show with speedway news!
  • Options
    R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC is not a Sports channel so cannot spend a lot of money on sport. Sport can only take up a small chunk.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So where do you propose they show some Speedway news on a Saturday as you say? News at 10 (or just after), then football highlights until around 1am.

Also, without being able to show any action from any of the Speedway (no guarantee of that), what's the point, as you just have people sat talking about it for an hour, and I doubt you can just talk about Speedway for an hour, and to be quite honest the viewing figures would be so pitiful that they'd probably think "why bother showing it".

Also Sky Sports have shown NFL for years and that gets good ratings and is a massive sport in America, so it's certainly not what I'd call 2nd rate or a sport nobody else wants to show.

Finally, sport only gets allocated so much money, same as drama, entertainment, soaps, news, etc etc etc.
  • Options
    Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait hang on then

Lets look at the facts..... Football gets 90% of sports coverage with shows like Football Focus, Final Score, Match Of The Day, The Football League Show, Late Kick Off... Then you got rugby, F1, Womens Football (which is as good as mens), NFL (really god knows why) at least the BBC can have ONE show on a saturday with speedway information!! WHAT DO YOU THINK THE BBC DO WITH THE ALL LICENCE FEE'S.... paying for talentless presenters and shows that has as much entertainment as my arse! if the bbc could cater for all sports they seems to cater to the sports they can get their hands on (Second rate shows that not even other channels want I.E NFL or american football WHY THE HELL! if they can get NFL or american football games then they can have 1 1hour show with speedway news!

If there isn't a one hour show for cricket news, rugby union news or golf news then you've got very little chance of a show with one hour of speedway news
  • Options
    Forum Member
    actually Golf gets coverage on the BBC. and Rugby has a decent coverage on bbc 2 most of the time. and cricket is featured on BBC News updates and Local News bulletins. but agree not as a whole on BBC having its own show like i mentioned but all aboved get a mention either on its own show or news bulletins. Speedway is only features on certain internet areas and local radio nothing for it as a entertaty on bbc
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,453
    Forum Member
    actually Golf gets coverage on the BBC. and Rugby has a decent coverage on bbc 2 most of the time. and cricket is featured on BBC News updates and Local News bulletins. but agree not as a whole on BBC having its own show like i mentioned but all aboved get a mention either on its own show or news bulletins. Speedway is only features on certain internet areas and local radio nothing for it as a entertaty on bbc

Golf is now actually greatly reduced on the BBC now, appart from the British Open and the last 2 days of the US Masters they now don't broadcast much Golf. They can't afford to buy up much new sports rights through the license freeze and big cuts they've had to make.
    Ian.
  • Options
    Forum Member

The difference is golf, rugby league (and union) and cricket all have big audiences, or even just something big to report on occasionally, be it the ashes, the masters, the 6 nations etc, whereas Speedway has...........er..........er............erm...........answers on a postcard please.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC showing speedway, is that is some sort of joke. The BBC have never shown any interest in speedway even before the days of Sky. Local ITV did shown some limited coverage for a very limited time in some half hour highlights programme for a few weeks circa 60s/70s I remember. Apart from that until Sky came along speedway coverage was dire.

Look on the BBC sport website and try and find anything about speedway especially when the British round of the Speedway Grand Prix took place at the Millennium Stadium at Cardiff last night I can see no mention of it at all. As far as BBC is concerned the sport of speedway does not exist.