Options

Cats and fishtanks

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
Forum Member
✭✭
I've seen a fishtank I want to get but I have two cats and I'm worried about whether the cats could knock it over. It's 65 litres and on a stand. I guess that's gonna be pretty heavy when full but is there a chance.

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Comments

• Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1 litre of water weighs 1 kilo, so (assuming the tank isnt quite full) you're going to be looking at 50-60 kilos plus the weight of the tank and stand. I think it unlikely a cat could overblance that, though you may consider attaching the stand to the wall in some way incase someone else does:)
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We have a tank and cats and it's never been a problem. The old cat never even noticed the fish. The new kittens have though, one sometimes falls asleep with her face up against the glass.
  • Options
    Vast_GirthVast_Girth Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I'd be more worried about the cats getting the lid of and hooking the fish out with their paws.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its quite unusual for cats to fish - their ancestors come from arid regions so fish aren't really their natural prey. They get a lot of blame for taking pond fish that actually fall prey to herons on their dawn raids.
    I suppose Van cats might be an exception:D