• Options
    BP4Lthe2ndBP4Lthe2nd Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    The Doctor's Wife.
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There have been some wonderful episodes this series. I couldn't choose between The God Complex, The Girl Who Waited, A Good Man, The Wedding, The Impossible Astronaut, The Day of the Moon; all amazing.

But luckily I don't have to choose because there's The Doctor's Wife - in a class of it's own. A Masterpiece. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    This is tricky. The heart says to vote for The Doctor's Wife, but both A Good Man and The Wedding were utterly superb. I loved The God Complex too, and The Rebel Flesh. Gah! Must think...
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just The Rebel Flesh with no votes now....
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »

Poor Rebel Flesh...:(
    It wasn't that bad, IMO...but I suppose a lot of the other episodes were fantastic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Rebel Flesh...:(
    It wasn't that bad, IMO...but I suppose a lot of the other episodes were fantastic.

I remember when this poll was done midway through series 6 it was Curse that didn't get a vote for a long time...:D
  • Options
    ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,247
    Forum Member

As it was the first of two-parter, that's hardly surprising.

The Rebel Flesh was my second favourite episodes but I naturally preferred the concluding part more.

If it had been asked "What was your favourite story?" I would have said The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ntscuser wrote: »
    As it was the first of two-parter, that's hardly surprising.

The Rebel Flesh was my second favourite episodes but I naturally preferred the concluding part more.

If it had been asked "What was your favourite story?" I would have said The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People.

and yet more people have voted for Impossible Astronaut than Day of the Moon...;)
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and yet more people have voted for Impossible Astronaut than Day of the Moon...;)

If I had to choose between those two, I'd choose Day of the Moon only because of the epic 5 minutes which saw the downfall of the Silence and the music which accompanied it. :D
    Minus those 5 minutes, both the episodes were equally as epic.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Day of the Moon - brilliantly bonkers, the ultimate Doctor Who rollercoaster of an episoe.:D

Honourable mentions to:

The Doctor's Wife - heartbreakingly beautiful

and

The Wedding of River Song - almost managed to out- brilliantly bonkers Day of the Moon

Muttley always manages to say things much better than I can. Completely agree with all of this (I voted for Day of the Moon too).
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Let's Kill Hitler just edges it, but I enjoyed The Doctor's Wife immensely as well. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aww still no votes for the Rebel Flesh.

"Ee Ba Ba GUM"

"I thought I was going to die" "welcome to my world"

:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    One vote for the Rebel Flesh! Unsettling,creepy, linear old style Who. Shame Almost People didn't quit match up to it..Best 2 parter would be the opener.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Catavolcus wrote: »
    One vote for the Rebel Flesh!

I can sleep easy now....;)
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I shall do a list...

1. Day of The Moon
    2. The Doctor's Wife
    3. A Good Man Goes to War
    4. The Impossible Astronaught
    5. A Christmas Carol
    6. Let's Kill Hitler
    7. The Wedding of River Song
    8. The Girl Who Waited
    9. Closing Time
    10. Night Terrors
    11. The God Complex
    12/13. The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People
    14. The Curse of the Black Spot

Actually, considering how difficult that was, ignore it :p Not a very accurate representation of how I feel about each episode. I actually enjoyed Black Spot, just not as much as A Good Man goes to War, for example.

Yeah, that was hard, which is a good thing :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi Everyone :)

I thought this was going to be tricky as I have a fondness for all the episodes but actually, choosing the Top Three was easier than I thought it was going to be..

I'll go in reverse order:-

No. 3 - The Day of the Moon
    Fast pace, action packed, intelligently written episode. All the main cast (and also Mark Shepperd) acted their socks off. You could see that they were thoroughly enjoying theirselves too.

River and the Doctor vs. The Silents? Just perfect.

However.. just when you thought it was all over, the cut to the scene in the New York alleyway for the biggest gamechanger in Who history since we saw the first Timelord one - the Human Timelord Melody's regeneration. I still catch my breath when I watch the scene now. :D

(I still harbour a suspicion we will see the regeneration of the other Human Timelord (i.e. Donna's) in another episode but I'll save that for another thread another day).

No.2 - The Girl Who Waited
    There isn't much else I can add to the already glowing comments about Tom MacRae's classic episode (and to me, it is going to be a noted classic in years to come).

The episode was very reminiscent of my other favourite TV staple, 'The Prisoner'... except it is Amy's personal hell and bleak battle for survival in a beautiful, yet sinister world instead of No. 6. (I still feel Patrick McGoohan would have been a superbly dark Doctor but that's for another thread another day).

The scene of poor Rory looking up from inside the TARDIS as Old Amy's hand touches the window outside... by that point I was :cry: - Rory's dilemma was painful to behold. However, Rory also learned that the Doctor had to face such dilemmas almost every single day of his long life too.

In terms of acting, Matt Smith, Arthur Darvill and Karen Gillan are all superb.

With regard to Karen Gillan though...

...I remember the late Patrick McGoohan, when discussing acting as a profession, stating that 'Youth should play age' (I understand he played King Lear in a production when he was 19?) in the context that depicting someone many years the actor's senior could only help develop the actor in a beneficial way.

My God, he was right. I am so glad that Karen insisted upon playing the role of Old Amy and if she had any critics lambasting her performance prior to this episode, they are going to be hard-pressed to find any fault with her now.

A great actor enables you to forget that they are an actor playing a role. I was so absorbed by Karen's performance, I completely forgot she was only 23-24yrs old. I hope she is, at least, nominated for a BAFTA for this performance. She has earned it :)

Finally - No. 1 - The Doctor's Wife
    Sheer poetic perfection.

When I'm an old woman reminiscing about Doctor Who, I'll certainly be saying to myself that this episode is one of the classics of Who - up there with The Talons of Weng-Chiang, The Caves of Androzani, Genesis of the Daleks, The War Games and Blink.

Neil Gaiman knows his Who and left no stone unturned. He was unafraid to throw a couple of gamechangers into the already beautiful mix - who knew that the TARDIS deliberately left her doors unlocked and knew that the Doctor would 'steal' her and that, in her mind, she stole him? Think about it though, it all makes sense.

The TARDIS found her voice for seemingly the first time and she is a very witty, wise, intelligent sentient being. Woe betide anyone who tries to come between her and her Doctor. I feel she will be as staunchly protective of her new daughter, River Song and feel that was acknowledged by Idris' dying words to Rory ('the only water in the forest is the River). That's for another thread for another day too ;)

I say she seemingly found her voice for the first time because I still feel she first spoke through Rose/Bad Wolf - namely BW's assertion that she had to keep her Doctor safe from false gods. The similarities in tone between Idris in her dying moments and Rose/Bad Wolf at that particular moment surely weren't coincidental.

Although all the actors turned in stunning performances, both Suranne Jones and Arthur Darvill's performances just leapt from the screen.

I always envisaged that the TARDIS would have the personality of the eccentric family aunt - an aunt who is very much the dark horse but in a good way. Suranne enjoyed the role and you could see in her performance that she was proud to be the TARDIS.

We learned that the TARDIS considers Rory 'the pretty one'. Rory nursing and cradling the dying Idris was beautifully performed by both actors.

The aged, forgotten Rory in Amy's House-induced hallucinations terrified the life out of me. Just as it should have done :D

And the heartbreaking scene when the TARDIS acknowledges she is alive and is just so glad to have the opportunity to say hello to her Doctor before she loses that voice again (for the moment, I'm going to say, given that the TARDIS now has a Voice Interface she can use in the future, albeit via hologram images of old companions) - oh it was :cry::cry: (OH, where's the Kleenex?').

The Doctor's heartbreak was achingly apparent in a very understated manner. Well done to Matt Smith for getting that scene just right.

The other gamechanger? That timelords can change gender during regeneration. I always had a feeling they could but it was good to have the matter clarified once and for all - helps to keep things fresh.

An episode I could watch again and again and again.

Sheer poetic perfection :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    Doctors Wife. My favourite by far. I would love to see them find a way to have made her a proper companion for a while, rather than one episode.
  • Options
    saxysaxy Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another vote for The Doctors Wife

'I just wanted to say...hello. Hello Doctor. Its so very nice to meet you.'

Moment of the entire series. Amazing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as always a toh call as there have been some wonderfu;ll episodes but The Doctor's Wife is my favorite with The Girl who Waited a close second.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    I shall do a list...

Hmm i'll have a crack at that:

1. Day of The Moon
    2. The Doctor's Wife
    3. The Wedding of River Song
    4. The Impossible Astronaut
    5. Closing Time
    6. The Girl Who Waited
    7. Let's Kill Hitler
    8. A Good Man Goes to War
    9. The God Complex
    10. Night Terrors
    11. A Christmas Carol
    12. The Almost People
    13. The Rebel Flesh
    14. The Curse of the Black Spot
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    saxy wrote: »
    Another vote for The Doctors Wife

'I just wanted to say...hello. Hello Doctor. Its so very nice to meet you.'

Moment of the entire series. Amazing.

Got to agree with that, although "but I always took you where you needed to go" is a close second for me! :D
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    The excellent
    The Doctor's Wife. Head and shoulders above everything else. Maybe slightly let down by the Amy and Rory chase around the Tardis, akin to the modern version of leaving K9 because he would get in the way of the real story, so that part tends to be fast forwarded. But wondrous performances from the leads and two fully fleshed out scene stealing side characters in Uncle and Auntie.

Beautifully lit, lovely sets.. neigh on perfection. Another one added to the 'classics'

The average. Nothing wrong with being an average/everyday episode of Who, sometimes they are just the ticket, the bread and butter. For me the series drastically picked up from rock bottom during this 4 episode run.

The God Complex. - Cool and quirky. References Hitchcock and Kubric in the opening shots so hats off.

The Girl Who Waited
    Night Terrors
    Closing Time

The bad.
    The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People
    The Curse of the Black Spot
    The Impossible Astronaut/Day of The Moon

The Fug Ugly
    I know these next three episodes have many many fans but I was just opened mouthed in sheer bewilderment at how vacuous, shallow and truly terrible they were IMO. When did Moffat turn into a internet fan fic writing 13 year old boy. No disrespect (genuinely) to anyone here but they were like those tell a story sentence by sentence threads.

The Wedding of River Song
    A Good Man Goes to War
    Let's Kill Hitler

If Fear Her was in this series it would be above those three episodes, give me the Twin Dilemma over those three episodes. Even typing this I'm still amazed at how awful they were, I'm gobsmaked that those three episodes will be at the bottom of my all time least liked Who list, 3 Moffat episodes:eek: Parallel world or what.
  • Options
    smithers3162smithers3162 Posts: 828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    THE GOD COMPLEX
    THE GIRL WHO WAITED
    THE IMPOSSIBLE ASTRONAUT
    DAY OF THE MOON
    THE REBEL FLESH
    THE ALMOST HUMANS
    THE WEDDING OF RIVER SONG
    LET'S KILL HITLER
    A GOOD MAN GOES TO WAR
    THE DOCTOR'S WIFE
    CLOSING TIME
    THE CURSE OF THE BLACK SPOT
    NIGHT TERRORS

A truly wonderful series, with only the bottom 4 not being exceptional. I do think THE DOCTOR'S WIFE is just about the most overrated story of NuWho, not that it was a bad episode at all, but really not as good as is given credit for. Even NIGHT TERRORS at the bottom had it's moments - the dolls were fabulous, but some truly excruciating acting really made this one that didn't work for me.

Hard to pick between the top half dozen and they could easilly be in reverse order if I chose to rate them again in 6 months. But I just think the maturity and intensity of THE GOD COMPLEX just puts it above its peers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THE GOD COMPLEX
    THE GIRL WHO WAITED
    THE IMPOSSIBLE ASTRONAUT
    DAY OF THE MOON
    THE REBEL FLESH
    THE ALMOST HUMANS
    THE WEDDING OF RIVER SONG
    LET'S KILL HITLER
    A GOOD MAN GOES TO WAR
    THE DOCTOR'S WIFE
    CLOSING TIME
    THE CURSE OF THE BLACK SPOT
    NIGHT TERRORS

A truly wonderful series, with only the bottom 4 not being exceptional. I do think THE DOCTOR'S WIFE is just about the most overrated story of NuWho, not that it was a bad episode at all, but really not as good as is given credit for. Even NIGHT TERRORS at the bottom had it's moments - the dolls were fabulous, but some truly excruciating acting really made this one that didn't work for me.

Hard to pick between the top half dozen and they could easilly be in reverse order if I chose to rate them again in 6 months. But I just think the maturity and intensity of THE GOD COMPLEX just puts it above its peers.

unny because i actually think the same of Blink! I feel the two parter with the Angels last year was absolutely chilling to the bone! Loved it but Blink....not so much!

However with Doctors Wife....I feel it justifies the acclaim....it is that instant classic feel about it. But really my least fave i love here so... :cool: