Graham Norton Radio 2 show

SevrinSevrin Posts: 380
Forum Member
His show finished today for the summer and he's not back till Sept 19th! Nice long break. Today's show was also a pre record. Craig Charles is on next week but I'm sure he won't be covering all the way through. They always seem to struggle getting decent presenters during this slot in the summer. Not a problem with Craig Charles but some of the others last year were very weak. Perhaps they should make Pick of the Pops 3 hours during this time

Comments

• radio tunerradio tuner Posts: 3,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sevrin wrote: »
    His show finished today for the summer and he's not back till Sept 19th! Nice long break. Today's show was also a pre record. Craig Charles is on next week but I'm sure he won't be covering all the way through. They always seem to struggle getting decent presenters during this slot in the summer. Not a problem with Craig Charles but some of the others last year were very weak. Perhaps they should make Pick of the Pops 3 hours during this time

perhaps they could get tony blackburn to do 10-1 n the rest to do 1-3
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,684
    Forum Member
    Looking forward to Craig next week. He always presents good shows on Radio 2 when he's on at Christmas sitting in for Steve Wright.

Just thankful it's not Paddy Kielty.

I imagine Graham is contracted to provide a set amount of shows for Radio 2. Now he's got his usual summer holidays.

Definately a pre record today as Sally did the traffic out of the news instead of interacting with Graham around 20 past the hour.
  • SevrinSevrin Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Looking forward to Craig next week. He always presents good shows on Radio 2 when he's on at Christmas sitting in for Steve Wright.

Just thankful it's not Paddy Kielty.

I imagine Graham is contracted to provide a set amount of shows for Radio 2. Now he's got his usual summer holidays.

Definately a pre record today as Sally did the traffic out of the news instead of interacting with Graham around 20 past the hour.

That's what I mean by weak, Keilty is awful. I think he lives in the States now so maybe won't be so available. Ryan Tubridy seems to be out of favour. Maria McErlane did a few last year but I don't think she is strong enough to host the show. My guess is John Bishop for 3 or 4 weeks. I would personally like to see Ross back for a few weeks as he did a good job covering for Steve Wright, it'll never happen though
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Just thankful it's not Paddy Kielty..

Don't hold your breath cause Kielty could be? 😁
  • AmaraAmara Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Graham Norton the big 10am switch off after Sounds of the 60's. Give the slot to Alex Lester or Johnnie Walker
  • james_watersjames_waters Posts: 1,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard that he wants to quit the TV show so will the radio show follow? I listened yesterday for about 15 minutes when he had a vet on. I style of presenting doesn't grab me unlike how Jonathan Ross did
    Forum Member
    I've heard that he wants to quit the TV show so will the radio show follow? I listened yesterday for about 15 minutes when he had a vet on. I style of presenting doesn't grab me unlike how Jonathan Ross did

He says he wants to quit when he's 60 and I think he's currently 52 so you've got him for a good few years yet.
  • djstevodjstevo Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Lee Mack was good when he stood in last year.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djstevo wrote: »
    Lee Mack was good when he stood in last year.

If by good you mean bloody atrocious then yes, he was terrific. (and I speak as a fan of Lee).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've heard that he wants to quit the TV show

Totally incorrect.
    Forum Member
    Craig is doing the full 10 weeks whilst Graham is on holiday.

Great news as far as I'm concerned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Probably more economical keep too the same person.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Me too. As was stated above I usually switch over at 10am after SOTS but like Craig and enjoyed the bits of today's show I heard.
    He said the show was from Salford, maybe to fit in with his Corrie commitments.

He also said it was his birthday today. All the best people are born in July. :D;-):p:kitty:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Probably more economical keep too the same person.

Why would that be? The same amount of shifts need covering at £??? per shift whether someone does 1 or 10. I'd imagine Craig won't come cheap.
  • Marksw76Marksw76 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great news that Craig is doing the full ten week shift.

Beats some second rate comedians throughout the summer. Also keeps the Salford studio busy...
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amara wrote: »
    Graham Norton the big 10am switch off after Sounds of the 60's. Give the slot to Alex Lester or Johnnie Walker

He's got the biggest rating weekly show on the radio so he's going nowhere.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too. As was stated above I usually switch over at 10am after SOTS but like Craig and enjoyed the bits of today's show I heard.
    He said the show was from Salford, maybe to fit in with his Corrie commitments.

He also said it was his birthday today. All the best people are born in July. :D;-):p:kitty:

I guess so with his Corrie stuff
  • samusek2samusek2 Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any news when Graham finishes this year
    and who will fill in this year during Graham's break? Is Graham taking off the same 10 weeks?
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From another thread it's Martin Kemp and Ferne Cotton
    http://www.musicweek.com/media/read/fearne-cotton-moves-to-bbc-radio-2/064861
    Maybe they were thinking of Ferne Britten and booked the wrong Ferne.?
  • AmaraAmara Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    perhaps they could get tony blackburn to do 10-1 n the rest to do 1-3
    hanssolo wrote: »
    From another thread it's Martin Kemp and Ferne Cotton
    http://www.musicweek.com/media/read/fearne-cotton-moves-to-bbc-radio-2/064861
    Maybe they were thinking of Ferne Britten and booked the wrong Ferne.?

Turn off time continues then as hearing Ferne and Martin running on has no appeal for me.
  • samusek2samusek2 Posts: 3,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone else noticed that the Graham Norton podcast has been halved these past few weeks? Only 1 interview, Grill Graham's and that's it. No opening chat with Maria. I thought it was a one off but it's going to be like this for now. Malcolm, the producer said that the majority of the podcast listeners, thought it was too long and boring, so they cut it in half.

I'm a tad upset as I used to download each podcast and listen later on, without musical interruption. I guess they are keeping the most well-known guest of the week, but it's not necessarily the one I wanted to hear. I know all the interviews are on the official site, but it does not always work for me.

Still I enjoy the programme.
  • CusackCusack Posts: 2,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samusek2 wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed that the Graham Norton podcast has been halved these past few weeks? Only 1 interview, Grill Graham's and that's it. No opening chat with Maria. I thought it was a one off but it's going to be like this for now. Malcolm, the producer said that the majority of the podcast listeners, thought it was too long and boring, so they cut it in half.

I'm a tad upset as I used to download each podcast and listen later on, without musical interruption. I guess they are keeping the most well-known guest of the week, but it's not necessarily the one I wanted to hear. I know all the interviews are on the official site, but it does not always work for me.

Sounds like what they did with the Simon Mayo podcasts a couple of years ago, they dropped the weekly highlights podcast and kept the confessions one going. Sadly I really miss the Weekly Mayo podcast as I can't always listen to the guests he has on at 6pm.
  • AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 10/10/17 - 17:01 #24
    samusek2 wrote: »

I would just stream/ download the whole show and skip to the bits you like - it's dead easy because Maria is always on about 10.35, and then the interviews start about 11.30.