UK Sport's view of Rio 2016 prospects

Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
Forum Member
✭✭
With just over half a year until the Games, they believe the 47-strong Olympic medal haul achieved in Beijing 2008 can be bettered. Last year, Brits won 47 Olympic-class medals in chosen events (target range was 39-71).

Comments

• Mark FMark F Posts: 53,622
    Forum Member
    Certainly in swimming and gymnastics we have chances to pick up more medals to go with our usual successful sports.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's interesting that they are being less bullish about the aim of beating the London medal haul. I always though that was over ambitious - if we accept that there was home advantage in London we also have to accept that that advantage won't exist in Rio
  • Wizard_of_OzilWizard_of_Ozil Posts: 1,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If we finish in the top 4 again, we'll have done well. We should never ever let a (relatively) small nation like Australia overtake us again. Team GB should be punching above its weight.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There is a good chance I'd say of us getting 4th, Germany might be our biggest competition for that rather than Australia. In terms of medals won I think it will be somewhere between the Beijing & London totals
  • Edward_SloleyEdward_Sloley Posts: 10,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭