Damon Albarn moans about 'twisted UK' re X Factor

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LFC4eva wrote: »
    what the sunday times one of the most respected newspapers in the world.

It seems you're saying that he's whored himself to something you respect, others might disagree.
    clearly his views are required as you feel the need to comment!

That makes as much sense as Rafa Benitez.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not forgetting of course that millions are being made by one man turning dross into gold and back into dross again. ;)

Don't forget the millions that are also being earned by Louis, Cheryl and Dannii! Leona and Alex must also be doing quite well out of it.

It's true what someone else has said that the XFactor machine can just chew people up and spit them out, but then the hopefuls must know that surely? They've seen it happen with so many other XF contestants, so must know that it has a good chance happening to them. Maybe they think things will be different for them??.......Unlikely, unless they have something very special, or different to offer......or unless they're just smart and manage to keep themselves in the public eye somehow.

Take Stacey Solomon, for example. That's a very smart move of her going into the jungle. She doesn't have a chance in hell of getting a record deal but she makes good reality TV viewing and she can earn a lot of money as a celebrity.
  • Nuts In MayNuts In May Posts: 1,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't forget the millions that are also being earned by Louis, Cheryl and Dannii! Leona and Alex must also be doing quite well out of it.

It's true what someone else has said that the XFactor machine can just chew people up and spit them out, but then the hopefuls must know that surely? They've seen it happen with so many other XF contestants, so must know that it has a good chance happening to them. Maybe they think things will be different for them??.......Unlikely, unless they have something very special, or different to offer......or unless they're just smart and manage to keep themselves in the public eye somehow.

Take Stacey Solomon, for example. That's a very smart move of her going into the jungle. She doesn't have a chance in hell of getting a record deal but she makes good reality TV viewing and she can earn a lot of money as a celebrity.

But Cowell is making the most. His production company makes the show, he signs the winners etc. Cheryl has her music career, Louis manages other bands, so I'm sure they'll be doing well for themselves even without the X Factor. Dannii is the only one who doesn't seem to have a career outside the programme.
    I doubt that any of them are making ''millions'' from the show - the only one who's doing that is Cowell.

When all's said and done, who's done well out of these talent shows on a long-term basis? Will Young did do OK for a while, but seems to have dropped out of the public eye, JLS are doing well until the next boyband comes along, Alexandra Burke doesn't seem to be doing much these days, Susan Boyle of course and Leona Lewis (for now).....but who else? The show thrives on oddballs and headcases of all sorts, non-existent judge's ''feuds'' keep it in the press, that's why people watch it - total slop for the brain.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But Cowell is making the most. His production company makes the show, he signs the winners etc. Cheryl has her music career, Louis manages other bands, so I'm sure they'll be doing well for themselves even without the X Factor. Dannii is the only one who doesn't seem to have a career outside the programme.
    I doubt that any of them are making ''millions'' from the show - the only one who's doing that is Cowell.

When all's said and done, who's done well out of these talent shows on a long-term basis? Will Young did do OK for a while, but seems to have dropped out of the public eye, JLS are doing well until the next boyband comes along, Alexandra Burke doesn't seem to be doing much these days, Susan Boyle of course and Leona Lewis (for now).....but who else? The show thrives on oddballs and headcases of all sorts, non-existent judge's ''feuds'' keep it in the press, that's why people watch it - total slop for the brain.

The whole reality TV thing has exploded big time in this country, probably all over the world. I'm afraid that people, including myself, DO get entertained by 'slop' at times, but it's entertaining 'slop' as far as I'm concerned.

Dannii has her Project D clothes line now and is doing well from that. Both Dannii and Cheryl are earning more money now away from the XFactor thanks to it! If it wasn't for the XFactor, Dannii would still be thought of as 'Kylie's sister' and Cheryl wouldn't be anywhere near as popular or as famous as she is. As for Louis, he's long had a career as a pop band manager.

But yes, Simon's earning the most - millions, and good for him. It was his idea, his baby, so he should get the lion's share.
  • LFC4evaLFC4eva Posts: 88
    Forum Member
    It seems you're saying that he's whored himself to something you respect, others might disagree.

so anyone who does an ad for something has whored themselves? thats a little small minded.

maybe you could go as far as to say anyone who has a job has whored themselves, they get paid for it!

and if the comments is irrelevant theres no need to comment on it, however if you comment on it you make that comment relevant!

besides at the end of the day, youve sold zero records, hes sold millions and played to millions over the years whose more relevant!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The whole reality TV thing has exploded big time in this country, probably all over the world. I'm afraid that people, including myself, DO get entertained by 'slop' at times, but it's entertaining 'slop' as far as I'm concerned.

Dannii has her Project D clothes line now and is doing well from that. Both Dannii and Cheryl are earning more money now away from the XFactor thanks to it! If it wasn't for the XFactor, Dannii would still be thought of as 'Kylie's sister' and Cheryl wouldn't be anywhere near as popular or as famous as she is. As for Louis, he's long had a career as a pop band manager.

But yes, Simon's earning the most - millions, and good for him. It was his idea, his baby, so he should get the lion's share.

Personally I find it disgusting that he's making millions through peddling cr*p, but that's just my opinion. I don't watch the X Factor purely because I think it's tripe appealing to people with without the capacity to watch a programme which makes them think. (Not a pop at you Rose) If all reality TV disappeared I'd hang out the flags, believe me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I find it disgusting that he's making millions through peddling cr*p, but that's just my opinion. I don't watch the X Factor purely because I think it's tripe appealing to people with without the capacity to watch a programme which makes them think. (Not a pop at you Rose) If all reality TV disappeared I'd hang out the flags, believe me.

Oh, I'm with you on most of the reality TV. I can't bear it. The only things I watch are XF, BGT and I'm A Celeb, other than that, it's a big no-no for me. I avoid all the other stuff like the plague. Hated BB. So glad that's gone.

As for Si, I fancy him so I'm completey biased!! :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why can't people watch both? Yes okay some people will only watch reality tv, but plenty of people will watch the X Factor who also watch other shows that make them think.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so anyone who does an ad for something has whored themselves? thats a little small minded

Thanks for the diagnosis. What would you call it when someone does what they are told for money? Presumably you think he's desperately in need of the funds the adverts provide him with.
    besides at the end of the day, youve sold zero records, hes sold millions and played to millions over the years whose more relevant!

I think you're confusing relevant with worth listening to. As well as thinking an exclamation mark should go at the end of a question. Oh and learn how to quote, that could be very relevant here, spelling and punctuation can be relevant too here.
  • PADDY75PADDY75 Posts: 785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This will be the same Damon Albarn who **** himself to News International to advertise the Sunday Times. So that'll be the same Damon Albarn who's views are as valuable as the talent on display on X Factor. Or does Damon know best who to sell your soul to?

Sounds like Damon is after a bit of attention. Perhaps vying to be a little relevant again. Shame he had to do it via X Factor connection. Desperate measures, eh?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Damon is definitely still relevant. He continues to be innovative, work with a range of artists - Gorillaz is just one of many projects on the go. He's far from desperate. He's just voicing the concerns of many music fans around the country about the negative impact of X Factor on the music industry in the UK.

If it was just a harmless bit of fluff on a Saturday night, that would be one thing, but it's not. I've just made similar points in another thread on the DS Music forum - essentially the way that manufactured bland music is taking over the top 40 since the X Factor started. And the way the show chews up and spits out young kids like Joe who haven't got the experience of a few year's trying to make it to fall back on. The fact that the likes of Stacy Soloman and Jedward are on I'm A Celebrity so soon shows the regard with which the X Factor really holds its contestants.
  • River_TamRiver_Tam Posts: 10,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BeatleWho wrote: »

If it was just a harmless bit of fluff on a Saturday night, that would be one thing, but it's not. I've just made similar points in another thread on the DS Music forum - essentially the way that manufactured bland music is taking over the top 40 since the X Factor started. And the way the show chews up and spits out young kids like Joe who haven't got the experience of a few year's trying to make it to fall back on. The fact that the likes of Stacy Soloman and Jedward are on I'm A Celebrity so soon shows the regard with which the X Factor really holds its contestants.

Once again Jedward are not in the jungle, they are on tour doing gigs working their way up off the back of X factor. They were offered a spot in the jungle but turned it down to go on tour. They are more focused about the popstar thing than most people know.

I do dislike the way X factor treats the vast majority of it's "winners" They win there is a big single that would do well whoever won. Then they hide the winner away until next season when they trot him or her out just when they've got every body interested in the new seasons cast of characters.
    And as the winner is often to inexperienced teenager the lack of experience they give them is shocking. Everyone else coming off the show is thrown into performing in nightclubs the next week not the winner they do nothing for months! But Perhaps most record companies are the same, actually a lot of actual companies are the same, not many places go in for career developement and give the time and opportunity to learn and get better at what you do.

X factor does give most people an interesting backwards career trajectory. They start off massive playing huge arenas on the X factor tour and gradually get smaller until they're playing a pizza express somewhere.

I don't think X factor has destroyed the music industry, it is largely irrelevant to the music industry. Except as a vehicle on a Sunday night as a massive advert for an established artists single. It's a TV show. There has always been throw away rubbish in the pop charts that some people find fun and frankly there is nothing much wrong with that if it's what people like. Radio Playlist on the other hand!!!
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s103/the-x-factor/news/a287931/albarn-slams-twisted-uk-over-x-factor.html

I'm sure it must be galling for serious musicians but if they really think X Factor's such a bit of fluff, why are they so worried about it?

Because it devalues music as an art form, propagates the idea that it's disposable, reduces it to the level of celebs eating kangaroo knobs on ITV, dominates TV music coverage, dominates the charts, and stops young people from investigating real artists and groups.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    Because it devalues music as an art form, propagates the idea that it's disposable, reduces it to the level of celebs eating kangaroo knobs on ITV, dominates TV music coverage, dominates the charts, and stops young people from investigating real artists and groups.

It doesn't dominate the charts as people have already pointed out, you don't hear of most of them when the show has finished. Nothing is stopping people young or old from investigating any artists they choose and they have a far greater opportunity to do so now with the internet than ever before. And all it if it takes is a TV show or two to devalue an art form that has been built up over hundreds of years it probably wasn't much of an art form to start with.

Music is part of everyday life for most people over the years and lots of it has been disposable, the good stuff survives.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Music is part of everyday life for most people over the years and lots of it has been disposable, the good stuff survives.

Good stuff only survives if it received enough widespread exposure in the first place. Most of the best albums I've heard in the last 10 years or so - even by high profile artists - received little notice by the mainstream media.

If there was a primetime music show for real artists, it would make a world of difference. As it is, people in the UK would seemingly rather watch amateurs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    Good stuff only survives if it received enough widespread exposure in the first place. Most of the best albums I've heard in the last 10 years or so - even by high profile artists - received little notice by the mainstream media.

If there was a primetime music show for real artists, it would make a world of difference. As it is, people in the UK would seemingly rather watch amateurs.

But how many people would watch a show with "real artists" and more importantly who decides who the "real artists" are?

Because I'm fairly sure I have an iTunes library full of music that would make you run screaming to mars and I suspect yours would have the same effect on me. ;)

Entertainment is such a personal thing that nobody will ever agree. I don't think that there is a right and a wrong in it, just different tastes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    Elnombre, I Completely agree about the impact of the X Factor on music as an art form, devaluing it with amateurs given far greater exposure than people making interesting, innovative music. The "stars" from the show may not dominate the charts, but the show's influence is widely felt in the industry and the type of music people buy as a result.

Yes there's always been fluff and a bit of fluff in moderation is fine, but it's taken over, and the X Factor is a guilty party here.

People used to watch a whole range of "real artists" on TV at peak times (alongside the latest boy bands and manufactured bands). It was called Top of the Pops - plus The Tube and TFI Friday in the 80s and 90s and gave all sorts of music widespread exposure. Now it's only Jools Holland and a few shows on Channel 4 in the early hours that give people any kind of exposure to different types of music. In that kind of environment only the bland mainstream stuff is going to get a look in.

Sad, as some of the albums released this year have been superb.

And the X Factor is so adversarial (whether staged or not) that the young kids who appear on it are just pawns in a game of 4 egos. Yes Simon Cowell would love one of them to go on and become a star, but it doesn't matter if they don't as the show and its spin-offs (live tour, etc) will keep bringing in the money year on year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PADDY75 wrote: »
    Sounds like Damon is after a bit of attention. Perhaps vying to be a little relevant again. Shame he had to do it via X Factor connection. Desperate measures, eh?

His concert had a 5-star review in the Independent. He works with some of the most respected artists on the planet and he does a lot for promoting world music, not just a narrow amount of pop pap.

I guess you have no idea how interviews work. I'm sure the journalist asked him about the X-Factor, and then he gave his views.
  • CrazyeyeskillerCrazyeyeskiller Posts: 4,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He sounds like a complete prat.

No he doesn't, he's spot on
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Attentionseekingitus?

No, was probably asked as that seems to be the hot potato from Oct-Dec.............trying to establish if you are a massive x factor fan or a massive Blur hater
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do understand what you and he saying, I just don't really agree that the X Factor is as bad as it's made out to be in comparison with the rest of the record industry.

I thought at one point they did a winners single and then did an album straight after and people complained that the albums were rushed out, so now they are supposed to take the time to do it right and if they are lucky they get more publicity by performing their new material on the X Factor. Then they have a year to release singles and support the album before the new winner has a new album out. No matter how they do it they get a year between winners. If one sells well great and even if for some odd reason that recored company drops them another would want a successful artist wouldn't they?

There is always going to be somebody new coming along so one or two more from the X Factor shouldn't make a huge difference to the previous years winner, if they are popular.

loyalty is an issue I agree but not just with the record company, the public are probably a bigger problem as they don't always support a winner once the show has ended for whatever reason. Which is where the another argument over the X Factor starts! If people don't buy the singles and albums it's the record companies fault (which it can be), if they do buy them they are mindless sheep who buy what the record company and the evil Simon tells them too.
    :rolleyes:

I do understand that the X Factor gives people false hope in some regards, but it and shows like it have been on for what over 10 years? If people can't workout how the show works by now, I don't think they ever will!

Imo the problem does not lie so much with the contestants being possibly hoodwinked but with the format of the show.

What is the obsession with getting someone to sing 15 covers in 15 styles over 15 weeks and judging them critically on each one? That's NOT what music artists should ghave to do!! It is setting a ludicrous precedent for all impressionable young people (of which there are millions) to believe that "talent" is being able to do this RAHTER than real talent which is about being able to hum a tune, jot down some lyrics, write or help write the music and then finally to perform your tune. Plenty of artists out there doing this without the buffon thatis Cowell and the imbecelic "judging" panel.

The show will be comlpetely dead by 2012 anyway, every single minute is staged now, used to just be some parts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imo the problem does not lie so much with the contestants being possibly hoodwinked but with the format of the show.

What is the obsession with getting someone to sing 15 covers in 15 styles over 15 weeks and judging them critically on each one? That's NOT what music artists should ghave to do!! It is setting a ludicrous precedent for all impressionable young people (of which there are millions) to believe that "talent" is being able to do this RAHTER than real talent which is about being able to hum a tune, jot down some lyrics, write or help write the music and then finally to perform your tune. Plenty of artists out there doing this without the buffon thatis Cowell and the imbecelic "judging" panel.

The show will be comlpetely dead by 2012 anyway, every single minute is staged now, used to just be some parts.

You're dead right.

When people wanted to be singers in the 50's and 60's, they slogged round the clubs and halls, possibly for years, learning their craft. With the death of variety theatres and the rise of the celebrity and reality shows, instant fame without the hard work is what's wanted especially by the teenage element. The X Factor attracts people who are a bit simple or have no talent at all, and the judges don't seem to be looking for people who can actually sing, but for people who can ''entertain'' e.g Wagner.

I really hope it'll be off our screens in the next five years or so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the real talent is being able to sing, which some of the X Factor contestants can actually do. Plenty of acts over the years haven't been able to write or play an instrument, that's not an absolute necessity to being able to perform. Many different elements go into making different performers which appeal to different people. There is nothing wrong with performing a song created by someone else and there is nothing wrong with having a band play for you if you can't play yourself. That's what opera singers do.

I actually agree with you about the themes they really are ridiculous. But a group of people performing various songs in a style that suits them and getting judged in a constructive manner really isn't that awful an idea as a entertainment show. I don't think the contestants should be mentored by the judges whose desperation to win harms the show in my opinion. It should be about finding a great performer and it could be about that, but unfortunately the panto elements get the ratings.
    The X Factor attracts people who are a bit simple or have no talent at all, and the judges don't seem to be looking for people who can actually sing, but for people who can ''entertain'' e.g Wagner.

I don't agree. Some people on the X Factor do have talent and saying they are bit simple is plain ignorant and snobby. I do agree that it's unfortunate that people like Wagner get this far through, it's not fair on the people who can actually sing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No he doesn't, he's spot on

In my opinion he does.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the real talent is being able to sing, which some of the X Factor contestants can actually do. Plenty of acts over the years haven't been able to write or play an instrument, that's not an absolute necessity to being able to perform. Many different elements go into making different performers which appeal to different people. There is nothing wrong with performing a song created by someone else and there is nothing wrong with having a band play for you if you can't play yourself. That's what opera singers do.

I actually agree with you about the themes they really are ridiculous. But a group of people performing various songs in a style that suits them and getting judged in a constructive manner really isn't that awful an idea as a entertainment show. I don't think the contestants should be mentored by the judges whose desperation to win harms the show in my opinion. It should be about finding a great performer and it could be about that, but unfortunately the panto elements get the ratings.

I don't agree. Some people on the X Factor do have talent and saying they are bit simple is plain ignorant and snobby. I do agree that it's unfortunate that people like Wagner get this far through, it's not fair on the people who can actually sing.

You make some fair points then lose it all by calling my own points ''plain ignorant and snobby''.

Well done. :rolleyes: