The DS Eurovision General Discussion Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• youngswedeyoungswede Posts: 2,294
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My thoughts on this weeks MF.

Really pleased with Louise Hoffsten qualifying, i love the word "Fishhhhh" for some reason :D, so yeah, a great choice and always nice to have a shock result. But i don't think it will get anywhere near winning the whole thing.

Also really liked Joacim Cans' song and disappointed he was last, i think everyone in Sweden expected a hard rock song from him, and what he contributed didn't live up to these expectations.

Also a bit disappointed with the housewives (result and song). I don't see who it was meant to appeal to. I believe that a brilliant what we call schlager song could still qualify to the final like two did in 2011 (Why do you think Christer doesn't want them in the competition?!?), but this wasn't schlagerish and it wasn't that brilliant.

As for Sean Banan, it's only a bit of fun right? :D
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigBmad wrote: »
    Roberto Bellarosa won the voice Belgium and is singing for them at Eurovision this year

That's interesting....perhaps the owners of the franchise have softened their stance then and are not that pushed about it (wouldn't be that surprising as many versions of The Voice are now in their second season).
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Ryan Dolan's "Only Love Survives" has really grown on me too actually. I hope he can nail it live.
    Aimee's ballad is so dreary. Having a good voice isn't enough.

I wouldn't be at all depressed if Aimee lost to Ryan. Only Love Survives is the strongest uptempo song in Eurosong in many years (arguably ever).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Hello everyone! I am new here and I think this will be the only thread/ forum I will be hanging out! I look forward to chatting to you all about the contest on the lead up to Malmö and in the future.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    phill363 wrote: »
    "Leanne Mitchell ‏@leannemitch
    Got so much to tell you guys, but my lips have to stay sealed for a little longer as yet, keep with me, it's coming soon!"

Apparently she posted that then deleted the message(acording to someone on ESC United) , if its her it would probably be a ballad.

Good grief. The BBC choosing her would be the same as internally selecting a complete nobody. :sleep:

Leanne who?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    Yes but if she struggles at Eurovision it's hardly going to be good PR for The Voice.

I know having Andy Abrahams there didn't hurt The X Factor but wasn't in it's infancy and had other successes since to offset a Eurovision failure.

There's a bit of a difference between the BBC risking the reputation of their own franchise instead of risking one of ITV's. And the Beeb had nothing to lose - if he won, they saved him from the Cowell, if he lost, it's because an X-Factor reject.
    EuroChris wrote: »
    Good grief. The BBC choosing her would be the same as internally selecting a complete nobody. :sleep:

Leanne who?

Isn't she from Eastenders?
  • penguinpersonpenguinperson Posts: 16,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hello everyone! I am new here and I think this will be the only thread/ forum I will be hanging out! I look forward to chatting to you all about the contest on the lead up to Malmö and in the future.

Hello Liam :)

How are you enjoying the run up of 2013 already?

In Russia the delegation had a huge arguement over The Voice. The delegation essentially were arguing why not send a Voice act now everyone will be in a few years vs we're above sending a reality stars we have a big music industry anyway. It looks like they will send a Voice act but not the winner as it will help protect the brand.

Belgium with the Voice winner are sending an actual Walloon act where it's often slim pickings in these years so that helped. (Or whatever broadcaster it is this year :D)

In the UK it is less about what the BBC would want it's more about what Universal want. It was suggested last year that Universal put into the contract that acts signed from the Voice could not do ESC. Yet they do have the question of what to do with an artist like Leanne.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm struggling to make sense of this

John Kennedy OConnor (Author of The Eurovision Song Contest: The Official History. ) Tweets
    So farewell then UK Eurovision secrecy. "Diana Vickers to sing for Britain" yes, that is the rumour. Any truth? If so, you read it here 1st!

So I guess that's the rumours the bloggers are getting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,681
    Forum Member
    I'm struggling to make sense of this

John Kennedy OConnor (Author of The Eurovision Song Contest: The Official History. ) Tweets
    So farewell then UK Eurovision secrecy. "Diana Vickers to sing for Britain" yes, that is the rumour. Any truth? If so, you read it here 1st!

So I guess that's the rumours the bloggers are getting.

Diana Vickers would be great for ESC. She's got quite a Lena-esque vibe about her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EuroChris wrote: »
    Diana Vickers would be great for ESC. She's got quite a Lena-esque vibe about her.

At least one of the bloggers have said something opposed to cryptic BS. I bet some don't dare say anything in fear of being wrong :rolleyes: Yes it's a rumour but least we know what they think.
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shameless rumour mongering about the constantly mentioned Hurts.

They performed a 3 minute version of Miracle on JR last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX0ZuTO_2pU

SPECULATION!

Everyone always goes on about this band but that us pretty damn awful.
  • contejascontejas Posts: 8,958
    Forum Member

Hey Liam -- make yourself at home! What's your favourite entry right now and (and what's your least favourite...;))
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Does anyone else wake up on Monday morning and think "this will be the day the BBC say something!"

Only to be continually let down!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone else wake up on Monday morning and think "this will be the day the BBC say something!"

They like Thursdasy and Fridays more to say something. A Monday would surprise me :D
  • QuartzManQuartzMan Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just really hope we get someone below the age of 30 - Amelia Lily, Diana Vickers, her from the voice, would all be perfect in my eyes. But no doubt we'll end up with an old has been as per. Have the Rylan Clark rumours died down then now?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member

Apparently (from another forum) Rita Ora was on breakfast TV to say that she wouldn't be doing it but would never say never but maybe not for the UK.(She's Kosovan apparently).

Given that they didn't drop the bombshell about EH until
    1 March 2012 I think there is still some time to go yet.
  • phill363phill363 Posts: 24,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum :) make your self at home.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just learnt it wasn't Pixie Lott that was signed last year it was actually Diana and they flip flopped about with Katie Taylor giving her the push. So do the team go back to her and beg forgiveness. That way the BBC team show Taylor she was wrong, so in the future there say goes not hers?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just can't see it being Diana (although I would love it to be as I am a massive fan of hers), her album is out this year, so surely she would be concentrating on promoting that?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    QuartzMan wrote: »
    I just can't see it being Diana (although I would love it to be as I am a massive fan of hers), her album is out this year, so surely she would be concentrating on promoting that?

I think regardless she won't get much attention coming back.
  • BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just learnt it wasn't Pixie Lott that was signed last year it was actually Diana and they flip flopped about with Katie Taylor giving her the push. So do the team go back to her and beg forgiveness. That way the BBC team show Taylor she was wrong, so in the future there say goes not hers?

Funny how that just comes out now that rumor popped up ;)

I would be happy with Amelia Lily, Diana Vickers or Leanne to be honest all with the right song. People would moan about they having been on a reality shows but at least they are all modern and can sing
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BigBmad wrote: »
    Funny how that just comes out now that rumor popped up ;)

I would be happy with Amelia Lily, Diana Vickers or Leanne to be honest all with the right song. People would moan about they having been on a reality shows but at least they are all modern and can sing

Yeah it is :D. However it could be like Blue. We know they were asked in 2010 and held of for the next year. I think for certain the two sides have been in contact about it at some point. However I don't think either side are the type to burn bridges.

I don't mind ex reality show acts if they have their own sound even if I like it or not. Leanne out of those doesn't for me, thus making her forgetable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    kvn wrote: »

Did the presenter really ask "You're really popular in the UK and on Facebook, why would you bother with ESC"?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has a better voice than I thought, I would love to see Cascada at Eurovision
This discussion has been closed.