2»

Comments

• tonypennystonypennys Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    RIP Phil Hughes really sad
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad news to hear this RIP Phil hughes.
  • CaltonfanCaltonfan Posts: 6,311
    Forum Member
    R.I.P Phil Hughes, very sad news to hear
  • clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,637
    Forum Member
    Just heard on TalkSport that he had already faced 8 bouncers in his innings and left them all, for some reason he decided to try and play the one that hit him.

If only he had done what he had done for the other bouncers this wouldn't have happened.

One single decision and a life gone. It really is tragic.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So god awful :(

Rest In Peace
  • Joe19Joe19 Posts: 1,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tragic news, RIP Phil.
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unspeakably sad. The family must be in hell.
    Such a young life, dreadful.
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Phil Hughes.

Also don't forget to spare a thought for Sean Abbott.

Very good point. I wonder if he will continue to play. Poor man.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Terrible news, RIP Philip Hughes, condolences to all family and friends. :(
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The news everyone was dreading.

Rest in peace Phil Hughes.
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,452
    Forum Member
    Yes, what a shocker. Just goes to show that almost any sport is potentially dangerous, no doubt there will be a rapid redesign of the protective helmet. :(
  • JayinthegardenJayinthegarden Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad news indeed RIP Phil, and let's spare a thought for young Sean Abbott he must be devastated :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • PhilT1808PhilT1808 Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolute tragedy. Thoughts are with his family and friends. RIP Phil
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Such tragic news to wake up to. I honestly though he was going to pull through like the West Indies player Phil Simmons a few years ago. Having seen Lillee & Thompson & the West Indies bowlers over the years when the batsmen had much less protection, this is such a freak accident which any kind of helmet could not prevent.

Not quite correct. There are better helmets about.

Very sad news.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really is desperately sad, devastating news. I was sure that he would pull through in time. I will never forget him and Agar who were responsible for one of the best days cricket that I have ever seen.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    He's tainted for life sadly. He could score a million outs and this is all he will ever be known for.

Sorry, I am in no way wanting an argument at this time, but "tainted" just seems such a wrong word re Sean Abbott, though to be fair I guess DM commenrs for one are showing initial ignorance and / or pathetic WUMMing. I so hope you are wrong though. It hardly should need said that the poor lad was a bowler doing his job by trying to unsettle an inform Phil Hughes. Bowncers are part of the fast bowler's repertoire and whether deliberately or not it was evidently a slowish bouncer that Phil got through before it arrived and was such a common occurence, or so it seemed until Phil fell forwards.

But it will undoubtably be hard for him to live with and get back on a cricket field again, no matter how many folk tell him correctly that it could have been anyone and it was a freak occurence. My thoughts are with him.

RIP Phil Hughes. I was pretty shocked to hear that he was still just 25, seeming to have been around for quite a while and achieved so much, if less so against England. So much lay ahead of him and again one can only but feel for his family and all who knew this very fine cricketer and evidently cheeky chap well.
  • Safi74Safi74 Posts: 5,580
    Forum Member
    Jason C wrote: »
    Terrible news for all cricket fans. :(

I hope Hughes' tragic death don't lead to a string of knee-jerk reactions claiming that cricket is too dangerous and vast increases in protection need to be offered to batsmen from this point onwards.

I quite agree. Considered reactions yes, knee jerk reactions...no.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey. You need a heart of stone, not to have been moved to tears by the last 5 minutes of the 5 Live tribute they have just aired. Seemed such a decent guy, this will take some getting over for the sport.
  • FuddFudd Posts: 166,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rest in peace Phil Hughes. I couldn't believe it when I heard the news though I knew he'd been hit. :(

My thoughts go out to his family, friends and, as others have said, Sean Abbott who must be all over the place at the moment. I hope he keeps strong and realises none of this is his fault. :(
  • Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Not quite correct. There are better helmets about.

Very sad news.

There might be better helmets but do any of them protect that area at the back of the neck below the ear where Phil Hughes was hit?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    There might be better helmets but do any of them protect that area at the back of the neck below the ear where Phil Hughes was hit?

I was wondering the same, and have heard that that neck area is one where a batsman would want pretty unfettered flexibility.

Of course, folk should still look at what changes might be made.

However, much as it is natural to seek answers and solutions I am afraid, hard as it may seem, that this probably just has to be be put down as an absolute freak incident and little, if anything, needs to change.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    As much as I hate to agree with Boycott, I think he's got it spot on:-

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/cricket-helmets-made-batsmen-feel-safe-says-boycott-101428407--spt.html
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tragic all round for all involved in this young man's life and career. Poor Sean Abbott too.