Options

London Live on old Pace Sky+ box

giannigianni Posts: 1,228
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just for fun, I've fired up an old Pace Sky+ box (model 6.3.16/version 9F2213) and connected it to a dish and TV. Everything seems to work fine.

There is no card so it is showing FTA channels only, as expected.

However, there is no EPG entry for London Live on 117 - I get the red message "Channel not available". Why would this be? Should I just wait overnight and see if it is automatically tuned in?

Also...

I am running o/s version 1.31B10 (which I think is the latest?) and EPG version 5.07.u (which I know is not) . Will I receive an OTA update or must I force it? Is there any point in terms of enhanced functionality?

Comments

• Options
    NsewellNsewell Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forcing an update more than likely won't get it to update, you'll need to wait for it to update automatically. It could take a while.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah....

I wonder if: no card = no postcode = no local TV?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gianni wrote: »
    Ah....

The box should default to the channel listings for the postcode of the last viewing card that was paired to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That card is in another box at the same postcode...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That card is in another box at the same postcode...

I'd pop that card back in it and pair it to it, then try a new installation from within the hidden setup menu.

If it still isn't showing after that then it sounds like there might have been some technical changes so you'll need the software updating.
  • Options
    KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't London Live FTV anyway and not FTA? So you would have to keep the sky card in the box to remove the encryption and watch London Live.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the thoughts.

I can live without London Live ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just noticed I haven't got 537 or 538 (Yesterday and +1) either.

How do I do a channel rescan?
  • Options
    timo_w2stimo_w2s Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do I do a channel rescan?

Unplug the box from the mains, count to ten and plug it back in. The box will then boot up and look for the newest channel list.

London Live needs a working paired Sky viewing card.
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nsewell wrote: »
    The box should default to the channel listings for the postcode of the last viewing card that was paired to it.

Not on the old SD boxes - that is only true on the HD boxes. The old SD boxes very soon lose the memory of the last card used particulrly if mains power is removed and the box then defaults to the factory defaults of BBC1 London, BBC2 England and ITV1 West Midlands
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think I have a card problem (especially as there is no card)

It seems the channel list on the receiver is just not up to date and I don't know how to fix that. I presume that the channel list is not associated with the software so there is no point trying a forced download?
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Give it a try, there's nothing to lose.
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems the channel list on the receiver is just not up to date and I don't know how to fix that. I presume that the channel list is not associated with the software so there is no point trying a forced download?

The channel list is pretty much checked on a regular basis by the box so no user interaction is required when new channels launch. If for some reason the box has partially crashed a reboot usually fixes these issues. A forced download might help fix a corrupt installation or update an old box that hasn't been powered up for a long time but a simple reboot is usually all that is required.
  • Options
    davemurgatroyddavemurgatroyd Posts: 13,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah....

Correct - without a card for the appropriate postcodes no local TV (including London Live) will appear on the EPG and only if the card is active for FTV channels will you be able to view most of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I did a reboot and a forced update.

The software version did not change and I still can't get 117, 537 or 538.

How odd...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just tried it on one of my SD boxes with no card in and it also is also missing 537 (Yesterday) and 538 (Yesterday +1) but since they are encrypted it's not really a problem but it is odd they are missing.

117 won't appear without a card anyway as it needs the card for regionalisation and for some channels like London Live which are FTV it needs the card to decode it too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for that Timo.

It is odd. The channels are broadcast (per KingofSat) on DVB-S transponders from which I am receiving other encrypted and FTA channels. They are on H and V polarised transponders and have 27500 and 22000 SRs so there is no obvious technical consistency to explain it.

What hardware/software/epg are you using?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What hardware/software/epg are you using?

Pace D430N (looks like a Pace 2600C1) with EPG version 3.8.8.