Anyone been on a Super-Jumbo (Airbus) ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
Forum Member
✭✭
Was it better than a Jumbo (Boeing 747) ?

Comments

• Karl MarksKarl Marks Posts: 3,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do ya mean the A380?

Would love to go on one, but a bit unsafe at the moment with RR having to replace all the engines.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 111
    Forum Member
    Would love to go on one, but a bit unsafe at the moment with RR having to replace all the engines.

Then fly with Emirates, as they use Engine Alliance GP7000 engines, not RR Trent 900s
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    petertard wrote: »

Why would it be better, it is just a bigger bus.
    The only potential for a better experience is the 787 if it ever comes out, the windows are not so deep set and so are nicer, and the carbon fiber cabin can handle air that isn't dry as hell so you might leave the plane not feeling so lousy.
  • CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member
    Went on the Singapore Airlines A380 last year and sat on both the bottom and top deck. I was lucky enough to have a row of three seats by the window to myself on my flight out from London. Flying back on the top deck was great too because there are only two seats by the window so you only have one person next to you.

The aircraft is very spacious, comfortable and the inflight entertainment is excellent (big personal tv screens.) Singapore Airlines crew have an excellent reputation and they were always happy to help to ensure you received a great service - giving out Kit Kat icecreams certainly helped! :p
  • ChapwithwingsChapwithwings Posts: 847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flew on an Emirates A380 to Sydney earlier this year. Looks absolutely huge compared to the other planes on their stands but once you get inside the Economy cabin is the Economy cabin is the Economy cabin really....

Still Emirates themselves are great to fly with so it's all good fun.
  • simondsUU933wsimondsUU933w Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »

Define 'better'?

Have flown a few times on them with Emirates - they're very big ;)
  • Matt_TaylorMatt_Taylor Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    Yes, I took a rather battered Singapore Airlines 747 to Singapore and came back on an A380 and as amazing and huge as it looks from the outside once you get inside it really isn't much different from any other plane. The economy section of a 380 could just as easily be the economy section of a 777.

http://matthew-taylor.fotopic.net/p55922359.html

It had a few minor differences, most notably the staircase at the rear of the aircraft plus a more modern entertainment system and the windows are at a slightly different angle than would be the case on a single deck aircraft.
  • A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
  • Velvet GloveVelvet Glove Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the Qantas A380's entertainment system is immense - there is even a camera on the tail of the plane, so you can watch what's happening outside (not so interesting at night admittedly, but brilliant for take off and landing and during turbulence!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the Qantas A380's entertainment system is immense - there is even a camera on the tail of the plane, so you can watch what's happening outside (not so interesting at night admittedly, but brilliant for take off and landing and during turbulence!)

These are pretty common on all longish-haul flights nowadays. All Emirates planes have the ICE system for example.
  • gillypandagillypanda Posts: 13,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We're flying back on one next month :eek:

I'm pretty scared if I'm honest, but we're flying with Emirates, and my Air Traffic Controller son keeps reassuring me we're safer on that than on a smaller plane, so...

I'll let you know in 3 weeks!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillypanda wrote: »
    We're flying back on one next month :eek:

I'm pretty scared if I'm honest, but we're flying with Emirates, and my Air Traffic Controller son keeps reassuring me we're safer on that than on a smaller plane, so...

I'll let you know in 3 weeks!!

I'm doing the same. Emirates A380 from Sydney to Dubai then 777 to Birmingham. Not nervous now I know about the engines (thanks Skoodle!)
  • pocatellopocatello Posts: 8,813
    Forum Member
    Yes, I took a rather battered Singapore Airlines 747 to Singapore and came back on an A380 and as amazing and huge as it looks from the outside once you get inside it really isn't much different from any other plane. The economy section of a 380 could just as easily be the economy section of a 777.

http://matthew-taylor.fotopic.net/p55922359.html

It had a few minor differences, most notably the staircase at the rear of the aircraft plus a more modern entertainment system and the windows are at a slightly different angle than would be the case on a single deck aircraft.

The model matters.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_747-8#747-8_Intercontinental
    Newer versions have nicer interiors.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    simonp820 wrote: »
    I'm doing the same. Emirates A380 from Sydney to Dubai then 777 to Birmingham. Not nervous now I know about the engines (thanks Skoodle!)
    We're on a 777 from Hong Kong to Dubai, then the A380 from Dubai to Manchester. I'm not overly fond of flying at the best of times, but to know it's the last leg isn't making me feel any better right now.
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I ain't getting in NO plane sucka
  • You_moYou_mo Posts: 11,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does it have comfy seats and a good seat pitch in economy? They alway show first class. Not many of us travel first class. In fact, don't we plebs subsidise first class? :D
  • Matt_TaylorMatt_Taylor Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    pocatello wrote: »
    The model matters.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_747-8#747-8_Intercontinental
    Newer versions have nicer interiors.

Absolutely, I would expect a significant difference between Singapore Airlines early 777 aircraft when compared to their latest deliveries. I was on a 737 the other day and the chap in the seat in front of me kept banging on about how he preferred 777s because they have a better seat pitch......despite seat pitch being entirely at the discretion of the operator of the aircraft and not the manufacturer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    pocatello wrote: »
    Why would it be better, it is just a bigger bus.
    The only potential for a better experience is the 787 if it ever comes out, the windows are not so deep set and so are nicer, and the carbon fiber cabin can handle air that isn't dry as hell so you might leave the plane not feeling so lousy.
    More modern feel? For example, travelling on a modern Airbus model when you are used to a 737 feels so much more futuristic.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Karl Marks wrote: »
    Do ya mean the A380?

RR are not replacing all the engines. There's three airlines who use RR Trent 900s and they're swapping out three engines, where they've identified a component failure similar to the one that cause the Qantas turbine failure. For the remainder, there's a directive out to check this component until RR provide a replacement. Seeing as the problem has been identified and is being monitored, I don't expect any greater risk than flying on any other aircraft.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 418
    Forum Member
    You_mo wrote: »
    Does it have comfy seats and a good seat pitch in economy? They alway show first class. Not many of us travel first class. In fact, don't we plebs subsidise first class? :D

Not from what i was told a few years back, it's premium class flights and cargo that covers the expenses of operating the flight, ecconomy tickets then help make a profit for the airline
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Walked around one, both inside and out, but haven't flown in one yet.
  • karma mechanickarma mechanic Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    The stuff up at the pointed end of the A380 is shown very nicely here: http://www.airbus.com/store/mm_repository/cockpit_airbusA380/flash/cockpit1.htm
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow! The cockpit is huge!
  • IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    Can they fly on one engine or does it need at least two?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've come back to eat my words! :p

We flew from Dubai back to Manchester yesterday, and the flight was excellent. The seat pitch is far better than any other plane I've flown in Economy, the seats are dead comfy and appear wider too.

I think because all the gubbings for the entertainment systems are now installed in the seats, there's no boxes by your feet. The ceiling is higher so everything feels more light and airy.

I was terrified taking off (I'm old and don't understand how planes get off the ground anyway :o ) but we watched the take off on our tellies, from the camera in the tail, and I videoed it on my camera!

The staff were great, the food excellent and I can't wait to go on another A380. And I never thought I'd say that!

The one downside, there are so many people on board that the luggage took ages to come off. The screen said it was completed in 45 minutes, but when you're the people still waiting near the end, it was a bit dull.