Options

Do you enjoy driving?

Comments

• Options
    Baboo YaguBaboo Yagu Posts: 5,803
    Forum Member
    TheMask wrote: »
    I love driving..but as another poster said there car is a sack of old tut.

So it depends what you drive

I'd say it's more a case of where you drive, than what you drive.

Obviously I love driving my main car, otherwise I'd feel pretty stupid having stumped up a hefty wad of cash for it, but I've also had some really good times driving a mate's knackered up old Cortina too.
  • Options
    MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    Baboo Yagu wrote: »
    I'd say it's more a case of where you drive, than what you drive.

Obviously I love driving my main car, otherwise I'd feel pretty stupid having stumped up a hefty wad of cash for it, but I've also had some really good times driving a mate's knackered up old Cortina too.

Some of my most memorable driving moments have been in a 1977 Citroen Dyane:D I do prefer to have a few more horsepower, or a lot less weight these days. 33BHP is OK in a 100Kg motorbike.
  • Options
    42dragonfly42dragonfly Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    I've been driving for about 25 years so far and I love it as much now as I did when I passed my test. Never gets boring or tedious and, until petrol prices went through the roof, we would just go out for a drive for the shear enjoyment of it. Unfortunately we've had to curb that a bit for now until our disposable income is a bit more flush.

..that, plus I drive the slowest car in the UK at the moment (I think anyway) - had to drive in a lower gear the past couple of days with all of that wind as the car does not have enough power to get up to normal speed in a head wind!!

• Options
    Forum Member
    MAW wrote: »
    Some of my most memorable driving moments have been in a 1977 Citroen Dyane:D I do prefer to have a few more horsepower, or a lot less weight these days. 33BHP is OK in a 100Kg motorbike.

I hop you had the pre-requisite dented wings on your Citreon. I don't think it's official if it didn't. :D

Anyhow, about this for a 2CV with power? For when those baguettes just have to absolutely be there on time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZzNDzy9710
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqvwIxYILUI
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,177
    Forum Member
    I don't like driving at all, if I had enough money to pay for a driver I would.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Baboo Yagu wrote: »
    I hop you had the pre-requisite dented wings on your Citreon. I don't think it's official if it didn't. :D

Anyhow, about this for a 2CV with power? For when those baguettes just have to absolutely be there on time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZzNDzy9710
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqvwIxYILUI

2CVs lend themselves to lunacy. I used to off road mine, so naturally it had the odd close encounter of the 3rd kind with trees, rocks, and other parts of the landscape. A friend of mine has a 4wd one with a rover 3.5 V8. My current throttle squeeze is not so suited to silliness, as it's too expensive, but it can manage that D906 in Lozere in style.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    I used to really enjoy driving - until seatbelt wearing was made compulsory. Somehow it just took all the pleasure away.........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    topaz10 wrote: »
    I used to really enjoy driving - until seatbelt wearing was made compulsory. Somehow it just took all the pleasure away.........

Mine has 5 point harnesses. I'm guessing you might not enjoy that. Shame, 2G cornering you kinda need them.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    TheMask wrote: »
    I love driving..but as another poster said there car is a sack of old tut.

So it depends what you drive

I was about to disagree with you, then I remembered the Chevy Sprite courtesy car I had for a month.
    F'in gutless PITA, engine seemingly devoid of powerband, just spun faster.
    Oh Fiat Punto, gave me back ache, old 950 Mini, gave me back spasms :)

I'm poor, I drive horrid old tut most of time.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Yep I still love driving although the excitement is gone, my Jag is built more for comfort than an adrenaline rush which is good as a few heady seconds on that pedal leaves any speed limit far behind. Not that I try it out.
  • Options
    Neutral_5Neutral_5 Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    LadyCake wrote: »
    A question for people with cars..
    If you forget the stop and start nature of UK driving , crap drivers (such as idiots who do U turns in the middle of busy roads and almost cause a crash ) and speed restrictions/motoring costs , do you actually enjoy the process?
    Or do you only drive for lifestyle reasons and would happily give it up if possible?
    Maybe you go abroad a lot and only enjoy driving when not here.

My last job involed a 2 hour drive to reach a destination for 9am. I don't like the 'errand' type of drive, but love the long distance - it's seemingly a 'pick me up'.

On true story: I used to commute daily about 30 miles from my uni and when I was stressed, I used to think deeply about my course during a driving journey whereby I'd look back and think to myself: "how did I do all that!?!
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me the fun isn't in speed. It's in driving safely, legally and minimising fuel consumption while making good progress.
  • Options
    Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I drive as little as I can around town and find motorway driving rather dull but I really enjoy driving through the beautiful countryside this country has to offer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    For me the fun isn't in speed. It's in driving safely, legally and minimising fuel consumption while making good progress.

If I'm being honest, that sounds boring as hell.
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hates it. It's not my thing. I'd use the push bikes for shorter distances, and get the shopping delivered, if it was up to me.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely love it. Money is tight right now, but when I was working, and as I live in North Yorks, I would often jsut go for a drive over the moortop roads simply for the pleasure of driving and no other reason.

On a psychological level, a few years back when I had to travel the country for a very stressful job for an awful company, I reckon driving alone was the only time I felt I was in control of things.
  • Options
    _ben_ben Posts: 5,758
    Forum Member
    Its very convenient for half hour local trips, but for anything more than a few hours I actually find it quite tiring. The quality of driving I see on the roads has gone right down the pan in the last few years too. You get stuck behind someone who's speed and position on the road varies wildly, who clearly isn't paying attention (rather than slowing down for a corner then speeding up again after it, they'll take the corner too fast and then drive really slowly on the straight bit) and when you get a chance to overtake and glance across at them, they've got their head down texting on their phone. Until a few years ago I hadn't seen this, but come across two or three drivers doing it every time I go out now.
  • Options
    jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nah, its a pain in the hole
  • Options
    the sandmanthe sandman Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but only in my Mini Cooper sport. It's like a little go kart:):p
  • Options
    bikeymikeyccbikeymikeycc Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    d0lphin wrote: »
    I hate driving and mainly only drive to get to and from work, now I don't have to be a taxi service for my kids as much.

I have always said that at some point in maybe 5-10 years I will sell the car and use public transport. I can't do that whilst in my current job as it wouldn't be practical.

I've left my job, did a lot of milage and came to hate it. I therefore lost my work van, so now we use public trans' and its good,my wife used p trans, anycase a lot of the time. Now I bike to my new downsize job, and its a pushbike not a motorbike,love it : )
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've left my job, did a lot of milage and came to hate it. I therefore lost my work van, so now we use public trans' and its good,my wife used p trans, anycase a lot of the time. Now I bike to my new downsize job, and its a pushbike not a motorbike,love it : )

I got a Cannondale hybrid for my birthday last year. It's my favourite thing in the world!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I love driving, the freedom and independence of just getting behind the wheel and going anywhere I choose is fantastic, with some decent tunes playing it's great :)
  • Options
    Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When the roads are dead, its amazing

Yes

I bloody hate slow drivers and their shitty 1.4 litre hatchbacks.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Completely ambivalent about it these days. Have to drive to work some days when I can't cycle but it's just another transport option nowadays. It stopped being fun when traffic volumes shot up a few years ago; fuel prices don't bother me as we can all be quite elastic on that front. Ditherers bother me more; people who accelerate really slowly up to nowhere the posted limit. I don't want to do 80 in a 60, but something more than 40 would be nice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    really really dislike driving:( stresses me out! prefer to be driven:o