Options

Can someone explain jury service?

Comments

• Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest I know I said I hated it, but it was just when you have to stand up in court and say your oath I hated. Being shy and anxious, that was difficult for me, I was a bag of nerves when I said my oath lol. After that was out of the way, I relaxed and focused on the case we got given.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always quite fancied it as well - I suppose that sooner or later I'll get selected

[/quote]
    Why do you think that? My Dad have never been called up and he won't be now at his age, in fact only my Mum was called up in our family of six. granted, there is still time for my brothers, sister and myself, but it just shows that you may never get called up,.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And if you didn't turn up based on that info, you'd be in contempt of court! Not valid reasons!

Why? it is a pretty valid reason. A mate of mine turned it down three times because of his business , and they accepted it all three times. The last time he was called up he was going to Japan at the time, so again he turned it down. Not been called again since and that was a few years back, maybe they gave up .

If people got a personal life that they can't just leave, then that
    is the way it is and if the system don't see it like that then it is just tough. i am sure there are plenty of people who will take their place.
  • Options
    mike joycemike joyce Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never been asked but would like to. I know somebody who said no because he was going on holiday but was asked back a few months later.

To the previous post, I don't think having to do the school run would get you off.
  • Options
    habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm like a few other people on here. I get very :blush: with people I don't know and find it hard to speak to them.

Also if its a subject I'm not interested in my mind wanders!!

I thought once you've done it you couldn't do it again?
  • Options
    TyrTyr Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    Sounds horrendous - I would refuse to do it.

Does it sound as horrendous as being convicted of contempt of court and going to prison?
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyr wrote: »
    Does it sound as horrendous as being convicted of contempt of court and going to prison?

No, but that wouldn't happen.
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So far I've managed to escape it, which is bizarre given I've now been at the same address for 14 years.
  • Options
    mike joycemike joyce Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    So far I've managed to escape it, which is bizarre given I've now been at the same address for 14 years.

My parents have lived in the same house for over 40 years and neither have been asked.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would refuse to sit. Why would they prosecute for you for contempt of court? Do they have nothing better to do like putting real criminals in jail? And the whole having to stand up for a judge is ridiculous especially when he probably gives a murderer only 5 years!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mike joyce wrote: »
    I have never been asked but would like to. I know somebody who said no because he was going on holiday but was asked back a few months later.

To the previous post, I don't think having to do the school run would get you off.

My mate thought he would have been called up again, since he turned it down because he would be on holiday, but as I said he have turned it down four times, three because of business, he drove his own lorry, so had no one to do it for him and once because he went to Japan.

As I also said, maybe they got fed up and decided not to bother.

I also knew of someone who got out of it due to their religion, this was years ago mind you about 15 at my old place of work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would refuse to sit. Why would they prosecute for you for contempt of court? Do they have nothing better to do like putting real criminals in jail? And the whole having to stand up for a judge is ridiculous especially when he probably gives a murderer only 5 years!

I don't stand for anyone, they are no better than me, just because they earn more money than me.

the whole system is naff, but it will never change.
  • Options
    stargazer61stargazer61 Posts: 70,943
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would refuse to sit. Why would they prosecute for you for contempt of court? Do they have nothing better to do like putting real criminals in jail? And the whole having to stand up for a judge is ridiculous especially when he probably gives a murderer only 5 years![/QUOTE]

And to put real criminals in jail, they have to have a jury!

The absolute minimum sentence for murder is 15 years and the starting point for murder with a weapon is 25 years.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I don't stand for anyone, they are no better than me, just because they earn more money than me.

the whole system is naff, but it will never change.

With more and more people having this attitude, and lack of understanding, maybe one day we can get rid of juries.
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Simon_More wrote: »
    Me too! Don't know why but I think it would be interesting. My mate has done it twice. He said he was not allowed to discuss any aspect of the case. The only thing he said about both cases was he voted guilty lol.

Voted?
  • Options
    Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    1fab wrote: »
    I have a good reason.

What is it?
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is an interesting experience though - it can get harsh during the deliberations, at one point all 15 of us were literally shouting at each other over the table.

I thought it was twelve people on a jury? Or is it fifteen in Scotland then? (Since you mention the 'not proven' verdict I assume that's where you're based).
  • Options
    littleboolittleboo Posts: 1,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've done it twice, the first time I didn't get picked and it was very dull, a lot of hanging around. The second time, I was on a jury and it was very interesting. The case was pretty unpleasant and an eye opener for me into the way that some people live their lives. But to convict or not, you need ordinary people to do their bit by being on a jury and I was satisfied that we reached the right conclusion, finding the defendant guilty of one charge where the evidence was clear and not guilty of a more serious charge for which there was sufficient doubt.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been called up twice but I was out of the country on both occasions by sheer coincidence so I obviously didn't have to do it.

I would like to experience it at some point though. However, I don't know how I'd feel if I got called up for one of the more
    serious/emotional cases such a child murder since the jury can be privy to a lot more graphic evidence that non-jurors get to see.
    I think I'd struggle with that.
  • Options
    HelenW82HelenW82 Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I've always wanted to do Jury service.

Never been called though :(
  • Options
    SillyBoyBlueSillyBoyBlue Posts: 3,265
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had to do it about 13 years ago. The worst bit was standing up in court to give the oath; I hate talking in public and my voice gave out half-way through!

The rest of it was pretty easy though. The person accused had caused an accident resulting in the death of an old lady. He was unhappy with his lawyer so half-way through decided to do his own defence (not a good idea!)

Everyone on the jury was sure he was guilty, but the police had 'lost' the only piece of definitive physical evidence (incompetence!) so we had to return a verdict of 'not guilty'. I felt bad for the family of the old lady, who were sitting in the observation room, but I wouldn't want to have been convicted like that on the basis of hearsay and gut feeling.
  • Options
    HeartacheHeartache Posts: 4,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://www.gov.uk/jury-service/overview

I think it's unfair,l would love to do this, and have never been called. I wonder if they have catchement areas. My nearest crown court would be Central Criminal court. And so therefore have the whole of central london to compete against.
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,496
    Forum Member
    Judging by some of the comments in here, some people shouldn't be allowed anywhere near jury duty.
  • Options
    radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been waiting 25 years to be selected, and still nothing. I'd make an amazing juror.
  • Options
    Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    Why do you think that? My Dad have never been called up and he won't be now at his age, in fact only my Mum was called up in our family of six. granted, there is still time for my brothers, sister and myself, but it just shows that you may never get called up,.[/QUOTE]

Guessed the law of averages would make my name come up in the end, other people I know have done it 2 or 3 times. Maybe it won't

Edit - quotes have gone a bit screwy!!