Should smacking be illegal?

tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,875
Forum Member
✭✭
So smacking has been made illegal in a few countries in Europe, and its got to a point where France and Britain are under pressure to change their records/laws on smacking:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/11709291/Smacking-must-be-banned-to-bring-UK-into-line-with-international-law-report-to-UN-insists.html

In France 80 percent of people voted against a smacking ban. (compared to 61% in the Uk?)
However:
Austria, Croatia, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Latvia, Norway, Cyprus have all banned smacking.

Outside of Europe. US its estimated a high percent of parents smack their children. And likewise Canada also refuse a smacking law.

New Zealand have opted for anti-smacking Education over anti-smacking legislation.
(this makes the most sense)

As the OP and people hate it when an OP doesn't provide their own opinion. My opinion is smacking should be rare. And heavy smacking should not be permitted. Rather than an outright ban on smacking.

Comments

• CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    can't stand noisy eaters
  • Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

My parents smacked me when I was younger and it didn't bother me. So why should it be illegal?
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't have the nicest of childhoods, but no... smacking should not be illegal. there is a difference between discipline and abuse, and appropriate discipline is fine. It's the softly softly approach that has brought about the ridiculously disrespectful society that we see today.
  • chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, my parents punished by smacking. We were well behaved children.
  • VulpesVulpes Posts: 1,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. Violence isn't the answer.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Of course it should. No adult should ever be allowed to use violence against a child. All it teaches them is violence is an acceptable way to achieve aims of control.

Animals and adults have more legal rights than children.
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only if its made illegal to hit adults and animals too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vulpes wrote: »
    Yes. Violence isn't the answer.

It's not really violence. It's punishment.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Yes if they have to resort to that they have failed.

I was never smacked as a child never did anything wrong.

If I did they would have taken my books away or something given the choice I would sooner get slapped the stinging goes away in a few minuites take something away and it's lasts longer.

Even now ask kids slap or take their mobile tablet game console most would pick slap as it's the quickest option.
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it should be illegal for people to have children without having taken a course on how to raise them first. But hey-ho.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not really violence. It's punishment.

So you can smack a child, non violently? What is the point of a smack? To inflict pain and get your own way easily.

Do you hit adults to "punish" them, or animals? Funny, that's illegal.

Don't dress it up, it's violence.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Yes...and I'm fairly sure it will be in the next decade or so.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't agree with hitting young kids, but there are a lot of adolescent gobby chavs who commit burglary, thefts and robberies in my town who could do with a good smack.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    So you can smack a child, non violently? What is the point of a smack? To inflict pain and get your own way easily.

Do you hit adults to "punish" them, or animals? Funny, that's illegal.

Don't dress it up, it's violence.

When people say My Parents smacked all the time when I did wrong or I got the cane everyday at school nither did me any harm.

If it happned that often then it obviously didn't work.
  • Caza_BellowCaza_Bellow Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't approve of parents smacking their children in public (not that I ever see it very often, thankfully) So yes, I'd like to see stricter measures regarding this topic being enforced. I was in a cafè two years ago and this father was with his two children (both about 5-6) There wasn't very many people in the premises at the time and thus, it was relatively quiet. I was at the opposite side of the room when I started hearing this commotion. From what I could gather, one of the kids didn't want to eat what was on their plate but the father was having none of it! He started to raise his voice and then I just brushed it off and carried on eating my meal and flicking through my phone. About 5 minutes later he then started to target his other kid by yelling at them for seemingly nothing and then he attempted to force-feed his daughter. As his daughter was crying, he started to imitate her and kept making a scene until the workers even started to stare in disbelief. Just as they were leaving, he practically dragged his daughter out of the place, whilst shouting at his son to follow him out! I think he occasionally sweared from what I could hear. He did look unhinged and my only regret was not giving him a piece of my mind or reporting him!
  • adam1968ukadam1968uk Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    A ban on smacking won't stop people beating their kids.
  • PencilPencil Posts: 5,700
    Forum Member
    No, I was smacked as a child and now that I'm older, I appreciate it and I think a lot of people do.

Young children rarely pay attention to the content or meaning of words like an adult does and a lecture is an ineffective deterrent, unless accompanied by a stinging smack (never a smack that leaves a mark - that's beating). Withholding treats or confining a young child to their room without dinner is far more cruel in my opinion and only fills children with pent up anger and resentment.

Smacking is a time honoured practise and forces a quick and effective realisation that the child has done something wrong and it shouldn't be done again.

I think even a gentle smack is kinder than sending a child to their room or withholding food.

I'm not sure I believe in smacking older children or teenagers.
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. Its a daft idea and would be impossible to police resulting in more money we don't have being wasted.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If smacking is banned the parents who give their child a gentle warning smack will stop, but the ones who beat the living daylights out of their kids (and who generally don't give a stuff) will carry on doing so.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you hit adults to "punish" them, or animals? .

No but adults should know better and animals wouldn't understand.

If I one day have children, I will absolutely smack them for being naughty if still legal or not because that's what my parents did.
  • MinnieMinzMinnieMinz Posts: 4,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy2 wrote: »
    If smacking is banned the parents who give their child a gentle warning smack will stop, but the ones who beat the living daylights out of their kids (and who generally don't give a stuff) will carry on doing so.

Yes those parents who beat their children regularly and heavily won't be stopped or even consider stopping so it's useless really and all it will do is make the naughtier kids even worse "well you can't slap me so eff you" .
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Of course it should. No adult should ever be allowed to use violence against a child. All it teaches them is violence is an acceptable way to achieve aims of control.

Animals and adults have more legal rights than children.

BIB is simply not true although it does seem to be a popular mantra among the more enthusiastic anti smackers.

Being smacked occasionally taught me not to do (or get caught doing) the various things which would result in a smack. Where parents apply smacking sensibly it is one of a number of perfectly reasonable tools that can be used to bring up happy, well adjusted and well behaved children.
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No but adults should know better and animals wouldn't understand.

If I one day children, I will absolutely smack them for being naughty if still legal or not because that's what my parents did.

That is scary unless you're not being serious.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes an argument gets you nowhere and a physical punishment is the only way. If it is used in moderation, children will realise they did something very bad when it happens.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That is scary unless you're not being serious.

I don't see how it is. :confused: