Birthdays around Christmas and New Year

13»

Comments

• myssmyss Posts: 16,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whats Up Helly aa? Im Scottish obviously but havent heard of this
    I'm English and don't know of it either! However a Google search reveals this.

;)
  • kitty86kitty86 Posts: 7,034
    Forum Member
    d0lphin wrote: »
    Same as my son - he'll be 20 this year! I have never let him dip out on presents just because it's close to Christmas.

Far from it being a pain, when he was younger he always had very successful birthday parties as people were relieved to get rid of their children for a few hours! The only problem was you could tell they'd bought his presents in the sales (he used to get a lot of annuals which are reduced to 99p!)

He also likes it being in December as he was never in school on his birthday, unlike his brother with a May birthday - he had GCSE and A'Level exams on his birthday!

ETA sorry to hear about your broken ankle.

I remember getting one or two joint presents when I was younger but never from my family. The only thing that I used to share was my party as my cousin is the day after mine, so we'd often have joint family parties but I was young and there was cake and ice cream so I was never bothered, obviously as I got older we started doing our own thing but as far as I can remember my birthday and christmas have always been separate. The only thing that used to upset me was that I could never go to a theme park on my birthday as they were all closed, and that's all I wanted to do :-(

Even my brother who is Christmas day has a separate party in the evening with a few of his friends where he cuts a birthday cake and receives his cards and presents.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My husband's is just before Christmas and mine is just after New Year. We tend to have joint Christmas and birthday gifts from the family and by the time my birthday comes, everyone has got the arse cos we are all back at work, is skint and doesn't feel like doing anything.

One year when I was still at school, I had a party in April. That was pretty cool.
  • LYNN(E)LYNN(E) Posts: 1,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine is 6th Jan. Some relatives sent 2 presents at Christmas, one for the birthday. Worse was that is was normally the day back to school so friends there didn't remember.
    My Mum had the great idea of in the summer organising a 2nd birthday for me with party and more presents.

Now I've reached the stage in life of not wishing to have birthdays. :eek::eek:

Mine's 6th Jan too When I was little & had birthday parties my mum & dad had to clear that up & then make sure all the decorations were down by midnight
    On my 60th my friends were taking me to Jamie Oliver's restaurant but woke up to heavy snow !! Only saw next doors cat :cry: Would have preferred 6th June