Options

Why was Zoe Birkett in the normal BB while Dee was in CBB?

Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
Forum Member
Not being in DS much these days and the first post in at least 2 months. I was quite suprised to see Zoe Birkett who became a big celebrity after her time in Pop Idol and having sucess in the industry for a time appearing in the nirmal BB house while Dee who made her name as a Benefits mum on a documentry appeared in CBB.

Would things have been made better if they swappped roles round?

Comments

• Options
    Fairy WingsFairy Wings Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    Same would apply to George. I don't know why Channel 5 choose the way they do :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 905
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the eyes of tv, Dee and George are current, Zoe isn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    don't think Gary Busy was current to me
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Zoe talked about that while she was in the house which led to the whole Tescogate business which in turn was probably a major factor in getting her evicted
  • Options
    daniellehdanielleh Posts: 7,852
    Forum Member

Reality stars, such as Zoe and Dee have a very different shelf-life than Oscar nominated Hollywood actors.

I think it's definitely to do with the timeframe, Dee was quite relevant at the time and had somewhat of a media presence, why I don't know. Zoe at the time wasn't as known, it had been over 10 years since Pop Idol (where she came 4th) and she hadn't had a music career, outside of musical theatre, which doesn't typically garner media attention.
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the eyes of tv, Dee and George are current, Zoe isn't.

In that case, Edele could have gone into the regular Big Brother?
  • Options
    Fried KickinFried Kickin Posts: 60,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because Zoe who? :confused:
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    White Dee was bigger.
  • Options
    2la2la Posts: 4,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did she become big after Pop Idol? I thought she just faded away and did panto.
    Besides she wouldn't have been able to lord it over the celebs as much as she could the 'normal' housemates. So it probably suited her the be the most famous in normal BB to get more adoration from the likes of Mr HD eyebrows and Co.
  • Options
    melloncollie06melloncollie06 Posts: 2,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The majority of the cbb housemates aren't current... hence why they're on cbb!
    What current show I clair king starring in now?
    what big hits has edele had lately?

All this stuff about "currency" is rubbish.

also- to disregard someone's career just because it's only in musical theatre is very insulting!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

also- to disregard someone's career just because it's only in musical theatre is very insulting!
    No one has been insulting!!
    Wasn't edele on stage last night with bewitched or was I dreaming it?
    Was I also dreaming that Zoe was on the piss with Mr HD?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    danielleh wrote: »
    Reality stars, such as Zoe and Dee have a very different shelf-life than Oscar nominated Hollywood actors.

she hadn't had a music career, outside of musical theatre, which doesn't typically garner media attention.

It was this bit I meant in particular.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2la wrote: »
    No one has been insulting!!
    Wasn't edele on stage last night with bewitched or was I dreaming it?
    Was I also dreaming that Zoe was on the piss with Mr HD?

first of all- she might have been onstage but she's hardly current in the charting sense of the word.
    Secondly- i have no idea who you mean by Mr HD , but people are referring to what she had done before bb not what she's been up to since.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wonder if Mr HD means Simon Cowell?
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    T

As far as the judges on X Factor are concerned musical theatre is one of the worst depths a contestant's career can sink to
  • Options
    Cats_EyesCats_Eyes Posts: 20,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And what exactly has that got to do with what your orginal thread read ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder if Mr HD means Simon Cowell?

No sorry, I meant Mark Byron. He's now able to colour people's eyebrows in high definition... I'll get me coat...
  • Options
    CallousCallous Posts: 11,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You could say Edele was current thanks to the success of the Big Reunion over the last couple of years..the profile of B*witched shot up massively thanks to that. George,Dee,Stephanie,James and Ricci were current reality stars..they get picked to try and pull in viewers from their respective shows.

Claire King was a massive star back in the day..Zoe never was.

No offence to Zoe ....but you couldn't put her up there with Gareth Gates, Will Young..or even Darius..or even Steve Brookstein..or even Wagner..or even Tesco Mary.... when it comes to public recognition.
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    Callous wrote: »
    No offence to Zoe ....but you couldn't put her up there with Gareth Gates, Will Young..or even Darius..or even Steve Brookstein..or even Wagner..or even Tesco Mary.... when it comes to public recognition.

you might be on to something there Callous.
    i never watch x-factor.
    yet i have heard of everyone you mentioned (even Tesco Mary) but i didn't have a clue who Zoe was/is.
  • Options
    TomAceTomAce Posts: 441
    Forum Member
    This is true. No matter how many times Rylan introduced her as 'Zoe Birkitt from Pop Idol', I had no recollection of her. And I saw the show.
  • Options
    teenage-monkeyteenage-monkey Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could say Edele was current thanks to the success of the Big Reunion over the last couple of years..the profile of B*witched shot up massively thanks to that. George,Dee,Stephanie,James and Ricci were current reality stars..they get picked to try and pull in viewers from their respective shows.

This is exactly what I was going to say. Edele was relevant, Zoe wasn't.
  • Options
    D.DotAD.DotA Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because Zoe auditioned for BB. Dee was selected to go into CBB.

Plus Zoe is not current. More people know Dee then they would have known Zoe. It's like a X Factor act going into the CBB who never won and came 4th place about 10 years ago.
  • Options
    ABCZYXABCZYX Posts: 12,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emma pointed out on BOTS that if she had been a CBB HM, then people would be saying that they didn't know her and that she should be in the civilian series, so she couldn't win. Pop Idol was MASSIVE back in 2002. It was much bigger than the golden years of the X Factor. Everyone was talking about it and there was such an air of excitement when it was on. But give or take a few TV appearances here and there after Pop Idol finished, Zoe hadn't really been seen much. Which is why I think she was on the civilian series.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    White Dee would've been in regular BB if she'd applied for it! Zoe applied to do regular BB so why would they pay her to do CBB?
  • Options
    Cal_Scream2Cal_Scream2 Posts: 6,733
    Forum Member
    Emma said because people would complain they didn't know who they were, but I don't think many people knew who Frenchy was and they had no reservations putting her in? I disagree with putting Dee in normal BB, nobody who has been on TV before should go on normal BB, but Zoe should have definitely been on CBB.