Do the "JUDGES" pick their finalists..

124»

Comments

• galenagalena Posts: 7,277
    Forum Member
    Daewos wrote: »
    Sorry, but with all respect what is the big story exactly? That the producers run the show? That the final 12 are selected with the show in mind? Where exactly does it say that there are specific rules as to how a contestant is selected other than they take part in the process? Is there a rule saying that contestants must be selected by the Judges alone? Please point us in their direction.

As the public have no vote, they have no influence therefore the producers can select who they like. This changes with the phone vote as that is paid for and must be audited to prove how many votes were cast.

There is no conspiracy as there is no story to hide.

I think common sense alone would tell us that there has to be some kind of meeting where the producers sit down with Simon and the individual mentors and decide who would make the final cut. Imagine if they all made their decisions in isolation - it could be a PR disaster if - say - only white contestants got through - or there was an uneven balance of the sexes! (For example as soon as I saw the groups were mostly female I was pretty confident that Simon's picks would all be male) I have to smile a little when people use the word 'conspiracy' or 'fix' when it comes to the suggestion that TV companies might tinker with the format to make the programme more entertaining for the viewers.
  • galenagalena Posts: 7,277
    Forum Member
    Zincubus wrote: »
    So presumably the near one million fee CHeryl is "reported " to get is nearer 400,000 after tax / national insurance etc .

Again it's a "p*ss in the ocean" compared to the couple's combined , and ever growing wealth.

I have to smile at your idea that rich celebrities are indifferent to the concept of earning yet more money and boosting their public profile by appearing on prime time TV - especially as virtually all the evidence of celebrity mags and celebrity TV points to the opposite conclusion ;)
  • ZincubusZincubus Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    galena wrote: »
    I have to smile at your idea that rich celebrities are indifferent to the concept of earning yet more money and boosting their public profile by appearing on prime time TV - especially as virtually all the evidence of celebrity mags and celebrity TV points to the opposite conclusion ;)

My point is that they wouldn't risk their name , reputation and future in showbiz for a sum that is a fraction of their wealth .

If you are all right about this conspiracy - how come nothing has ever made the papers , the very people who thrive on "stories " like this .
  • DollyDumplingDollyDumpling Posts: 2,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My point is that they wouldn't risk their name , reputation and future in showbiz for a sum that is a fraction of their wealth .

If you are all right about this conspiracy - how come nothing has ever made the papers , the very people who thrive on "stories " like this .

I don't know why you think there is a 'conspiracy'.:confused:

We are talking about a weekend entertainment programme on the television which basically is ephemeral rubbish. It is not real life.
    Why would the papers be even vaguely interested in how an entertainment programme is made?

Its all a Pantomime and I rather think that you are taking it far too seriously.:)
  • DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member

There is no conspiracy so there is no story. Other than in your imagination. Who really believes that this show and others like it are not designed to meet the criteria of entertainment on TV?

Next you will be telling us that politicians are all dedicated to public service. They must be as that is what they tell us. :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    Right,
    This is my take on it. Firstly, Simon Cowell and Louis Walsh are very experienced music moguls who have auditioned and managed many stars over the years, so as judges they are extremely well qualified to pick out who goes through. Danni and Cheryl have been in the business long enough to know what it takes for someone to get to the top. Therefore, on that basis alone, I don't see why they shouldn't make their own decisions. Add to that the "Help" they get from the likes of Ronan, Kylie, Sinitta and Will Young, and I think each of them is well capable of picking their own finalists. Add to that the fact that if Simon didn't get to pick his own, then surely one of the girls in the over catagory would have got through too? I thought they were both excellent.

If that sounded like I believe that the judges DO pick all their own finalists, then I'll blow that out of the water by suggesting that if they did, potentially Louis would have had 3 girl groups and wouldn't have picked John and Edward in a million years and therefore only picked them because either A) the producers thought that Simon slating them every week would be good telly B) they will earn more money as the protest votes FOR them come flooding in and C) they're Louis' Irish contingent. I see a McDonald brothers scenario here.

So for me, the jury is out on this conspiricy theory. However, there is one small point to mention which may disagree with the conspiricy theory and that is that, by now, I would have thought that Sharon Osbourne would have come out and said something to that effect if it were the case. Sharon is nobody's fool and wouldn't be paid off to not mention anything, or sign any confidentiality agreements, she's too strong willed for that. If there was something to say along those lines I'm sure she would have said it. She would have said it when she was there I reckon if that was the case.

So all in all, on balance, in the absence of anything conclusive to the contrary, I am fairly happy to accept that the judges and their hired hands, make the decisions. After all, if that wasn't the case, would you see Stacy from Dagenham getting through? That's not to criticise her, because I like her, and like her "ordinaryness" but with a complete naiveness of the business, she definately wouldn't be a safe bet for the producers. Then again, that might be the point!
  • ZincubusZincubus Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LNT wrote: »
    Right,
    This is my take on it. Firstly, Simon Cowell and Louis Walsh are very experienced music moguls who have auditioned and managed many stars over the years, so as judges they are extremely well qualified to pick out who goes through. Danni and Cheryl have been in the business long enough to know what it takes for someone to get to the top. Therefore, on that basis alone, I don't see why they shouldn't make their own decisions. Add to that the "Help" they get from the likes of Ronan, Kylie, Sinitta and Will Young, and I think each of them is well capable of picking their own finalists. Add to that the fact that if Simon didn't get to pick his own, then surely one of the girls in the over catagory would have got through too? I thought they were both excellent.

If that sounded like I believe that the judges DO pick all their own finalists, then I'll blow that out of the water by suggesting that if they did, potentially Louis would have had 3 girl groups and wouldn't have picked John and Edward in a million years and therefore only picked them because either A) the producers thought that Simon slating them every week would be good telly B) they will earn more money as the protest votes FOR them come flooding in and C) they're Louis' Irish contingent. I see a McDonald brothers scenario here.

So for me, the jury is out on this conspiricy theory. However, there is one small point to mention which may disagree with the conspiricy theory and that is that, by now, I would have thought that Sharon Osbourne would have come out and said something to that effect if it were the case. Sharon is nobody's fool and wouldn't be paid off to not mention anything, or sign any confidentiality agreements, she's too strong willed for that. If there was something to say along those lines I'm sure she would have said it. She would have said it when she was there I reckon if that was the case.

So all in all, on balance, in the absence of anything conclusive to the contrary, I am fairly happy to accept that the judges and their hired hands, make the decisions. After all, if that wasn't the case, would you see Stacy from Dagenham getting through? That's not to criticise her, because I like her, and like her "ordinaryness" but with a complete naiveness of the business, she definately wouldn't be a safe bet for the producers. Then again, that might be the point![/QUOTe

Some good points there - I would agree with most apart from the one about the twins - Louis LOVED them from the first minute he clapped eyes on them ( for whatever reason) and was the only one who ever liked them.