Options

I thought the 50th was supposed to be a party......

steven87gillsteven87gill Posts: 1,159
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm not one of these ''Oh, isn't Moffat awful, Who is gonna be cancelled in five minutes'' doom mongers, since I actully like the direction of the show under him, but 2013 is turning out to be a bit of an odd odd year for who fans, we've only gotten 8 eps so far, and have to wait another six months for the special, and then to top that all off, we find out Matt's leaving :(

Man, I'm hoping the special lifts the spirits, cause as a who fan, this is all turning out to be a bit of a depressing old year so far.

I'm kinda hoping we find out that Matt doesn't actually leave till a 2014 new years special that's yet to be announced.

(i know that's not going to happen, but let me clutch at my straws gosh darnit!:D)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    I thought this was going to be about the BBC's party/event/convention.

That's gone very quiet hasn't it?.
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    What's depressing about getting 10 episodes of a great thing in a year? That it's not 15?

Glass half-full, glass half-empty, I suppose.
  • Options
    allen_whoallen_who Posts: 2,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When ste moffat said 2013 dr who would take over television I was very excited. Im still hopeful that a tight scripted 3d special will leave us all astounded and praising him again
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would be good for some of the actors and previous Doctors to do a monologue similar to the prequel in The Name Of The Doctor.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The anniversary year doesn't actually start until November... So until them I'm content to be 49 for a bit longer...
  • Options
    LordofGallifreyLordofGallifrey Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    I personally think that the anniversary episode will have a lot of surprises in it.

We have been fed all of the public shots about MS/DT/JH filming, this information has probably satisfied most fans however I think it is inevitable that we will see some other doctors in the episode including PM & CE.

The main surprise that I believe we will see in the anniversary episode is
    the regeneration of the MS Doctor
  • Options
    johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    We have been fed all of the public shots about MS/DT/JH filming, this information has probably satisfied most fans however I think it is inevitable that we will see some other doctors in the episode including PM & CE.

Be careful saying 'inevitable' - while I agree there will probably be big surprises, it's almost certain it won't be surprises that you expect.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know they announced him for the Xmas special, but they only announced he was leaving at all because of an email leak that the press would've gotten hold of. I think saying he's doing Xmas is to hold back some element of surprise for when he goes in a shock regen at the end of the 50th
    , i'm just hoping that isn't the *only* surprise they've got in store.

I love The Moff, but my fear is that he is giving us the 50th special that he thinks we should want, rather than the special that we actually do want.

I don't think having 'every doctor, every companion, every villain ever' would be a great idea, ala DIT, but I also don't want it to be too serious or dark, I don't wan't a 'heartbreaker' or a 'tearjerker' for the 50th, I want it to be fun and lively whilst not being too ridiculous.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    When the Doctor blows the candles out on his 50th anniversary cake, what should he wish for? What would we all wish for?

I wish that Dr Who stops trying to be EastEnders in space or Emmerdale in time, and remembers that it is a science fiction/fantasy show.
    I wish that fans remember that not every little detail has to tie in with or add to continuity or series mythos.
    I wish that people start enjoying each story told rather than over analysing them.

But that's only me personally, and I know lots of people love to nitpick over details, love the soap opera aspect of NuWho, and agonize over whether the showrunner is killing the story arc genre by not putting three kittens and a new companion who bends forks with their thumbs, in....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 270
    Forum Member
    I think saying he's doing Xmas is to hold back some element of surprise for when he goes in a shock regen at the end of the 50th[/SPOILER], i'm just hoping that isn't the *only* surprise they've got in store

But that would be lying. Besides, not everyone wants the Doctor to regenerate during the 50th. Not Matt Smith's fans, who, I believe, would rather watch one more episode with the Eleventh Doctor than his regeneration in the 50th. First "Matt is going to be here for the next series", next the disappointment - Matt is leaving, and then a similar story - a surprise regeneration? I would be disappointed.
  • Options
    Old Man 43Old Man 43 Posts: 6,214
    Forum Member
    The thing is that the Christmas Special is going to filmed before November.

This means that if there is a regeneration at the end of the 50th Anniversary Special we would find out before the episode aired.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But that would be lying. Besides, not everyone wants the Doctor to regenerate during the 50th. Not Matt Smith's fans, who, I believe, would rather watch one more episode with the Eleventh Doctor than his regeneration in the 50th. First "Matt is going to be here for the next series", next the disappointment - Matt is leaving, and then a similar story - a surprise regeneration? I would be disappointed.

No, no, no, I don't want it to be the 50th either my friend, heck I don't wan't him to go full stop.

But my fear is that that's the only ''surprise'' they've got in store. Again, like you, I'd be bitterly dissapointed if that's how the 50th ended.

I hate how this is all going down, It's like the beeb know full well that some fans hate MS and can't wait for him to go and they're almost playing up to them. :(
  • Options
    AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know they announced him for the Xmas special, but they only announced he was leaving at all because of an email leak that the press would've gotten hold of. I think saying he's doing Xmas is to hold back some element of surprise for when he goes in a shock regen at the end of the 50th
    , i'm just hoping that isn't the *only* surprise they've got in store.

I love The Moff, but my fear is that he is giving us the 50th special that he thinks we should want, rather than the special that we actually do want.

I don't think having 'every doctor, every companion, every villain ever' would be a great idea, ala DIT, but I also don't want it to be too serious or dark, I don't wan't a 'heartbreaker' or a 'tearjerker' for the 50th, I want it to be fun and lively whilst not being too ridiculous.

This. I definitely want the Anniversary special to be fun, silly and inconsequential. That's what I want. As a long term fan. A chance to let all our hair down and not worry, peruse, investigate, deliberate, argue over etc. But a good night to chill out with a bottle of wine, Doritos etc.
  • Options
    VideoTapirVideoTapir Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still hoping (in vain, I know) that it's all a big hoax, the Doctor won't actually regenerate but he will cause the Valeyard (Ben Daniels has the ideal look) to be created.

And I agree, the 50th should be a big, jolly party, not a serious tale buried under its own mythos. I'm quite optimistic on that score.
  • Options
    tomwozheretomwozhere Posts: 1,081
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The lack of content this year isn't really Moffat's fault though. When he said that 2013 would just be all Who, he most likely had a lot planned but the BBC have just been unfair.
  • Options
    plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tomwozhere wrote: »
    The lack of content this year isn't really Moffat's fault though. When he said that 2013 would just be all Who, he most likely had a lot planned but the BBC have just been unfair.

+1 For this. I think a surprising amount of the "moffat lied to us" stuff probably comes from him being promised stuff that doesn't materialise.

Say the beeb commission 14 episodes and he assumes they're gonna stick them out in one go. Turns out they have a cunning plan to spread them over five years so they can claim license fee poverty when whispering in remote controller's ear
  • Options
    Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    VideoTapir wrote: »
    I'm still hoping (in vain, I know) that it's all a big hoax, the Doctor won't actually regenerate but he will cause the Valeyard (Ben Daniels has the ideal look) to be created.

It's the wrong regeneration for the Valeyard to emerge...
  • Options
    Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    tomwozhere wrote: »

Steven Moffat has admitted that previous delays have been down to him, as he failed to meet deadlines for scripts. He did the same thing at the start of Series 7, so he had his episode count dropped by one and it's also probably why two-parters were stopped. I see no reason to think that the blame's suddenly shifted from Moffat in the past year.

Let's not forget that Caroline Skinner had such a bad falling out with Moffat that she resigned with no notice. I really don't think the BBC are behind the lack of episodes. Especially as the BBC makes a huge profit from everything Who-related. It defies sense, really.
  • Options
    VideoTapirVideoTapir Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glyn W wrote: »
    It's the wrong regeneration for the Valeyard to emerge...

Depends on where the John Hurt 'Doctor' fits in...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    Let's not forget that Caroline Skinner had such a bad falling out with Moffat that she resigned with no notice. .

Yeah but wasn't that at a works party? Projecting again I know but surely we've all had the odd "falling out" at a works do? After all this is the BBC where no means no
    now
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    They should've organised it with a full series leading into the 50th anniversary special. As it is the 'party' is little more than a damp squib. One stinking episode in November and that's it. Not even a two-parter. Pathetic. So much for Moffat's usual hyperbolic 'taking ova da TV' crap
  • Options
    Forum Member
    platelet wrote: »
    Yeah but wasn't that at a works party? Projecting again I know but surely we've all had the odd "falling out" at a works do? After all this is the BBC where no means no
    now

I thought it was at a convention of some sort. It was public enough for some random guy on the Internet to witness the whole thing, so I doubt it was a work do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    I thought it was at a convention of some sort. It was public enough for some random guy on the Internet to witness the whole thing, so I doubt it was a work do.

Ah I could be wrong, I thought it was "remote controller" the private eye tv hack gatecrashing a beeb party. But happy (unlike Caroline :)) to accept I got the wrong end of the stick
  • Options
    Forum Member
    platelet wrote: »
    Ah I could be wrong, I thought it was "remote controller" the private eye tv hack gatecrashing a beeb party. But happy to accept I got the wrong end of the stick

I *think* (not sure) that's two different issues. Private Eye did do some sort of sting operation on Doctor Who last year where they spilled the beans on the Series 7 situation and gave the show some really bad press. But Caroline Skinner didn't resign until a while after that, I think?
  • Options
    joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always learnt to never brag about your plans cos they usually end up falling apart then and you end up with egg on your face!!! Keep schtumm until the last minute when things are definite!! It would have avoided us all being led up the garden path and then being disappointed.