Options

The Wire or The Shield

2»

Comments

• Options
    VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent question. These shows are literally my #1 and #2 but I am always struggling to decide which one is actually my favourite.

Obviously The Wire is by far the 'buzzier' show; rightfully appearing at the top of most critics 'best of all time' lists. The slow pace and huge number of characters (it is probably the only show in existence where you could list your top 25 characters and still feel like you left out plenty of great ones) won't be to everyone's taste. The plots are extremely realistic and uncompromising - if you are looking for standard Hollywood 'heroes vs villains' or happy endings, this isn't the show for you. This is a series that will require patience, but boy does it reward those who chose to stick with it.

The Shield is the 'easier' watch of the two, featuring a smaller cast of regular characters with a combination of ongoing plot threads and 'stories of the week'. It is filmed with gritty, documentary style camera-work which takes a bit of getting used to if you aren't familiar with such techniques. It is less realistic than The Wire (everything is) but still a lot more grounded than the vast majority of cop shows. The protagonist, Vic Mackey, is one of the very best anti-heroes ever put to screen (I'd argue the best but I accept I am probably just a fan boy :p). The acting is top notch and a few high profile stars drop in for lengthy guest roles.

All things considered I'd say The Wire is more rewarding, but The Shield is more entertaining. Both shows are magnificent, and if you are a TV connoisseur, you should really watch both!
  • Options
    cody jarrettcody jarrett Posts: 1,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Shield star Michael Jace has been charged with murdering his wife in LA. I did post this in the Southland thread earlier but it's much more apt to be here as The Shield is what he was best known for.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2633575/The-Shield-star-Michael-Jace-detained-police-connection-shooting-death-wife.html
  • Options
    satellitesatellite Posts: 8,181
    Forum Member
    I loved The Wire and when it finished I thought if try The Shield. After the first episode of The Shield I thought, blimey who's this hammy actor who looks like an even tubbier Grant Mitchell! But I persevered and ended up absolutely loving it - Vic Macky is the man! :)

But for sheer class, The Wire wins hands down - it takes some concentration, and as some others have said, it's a slow burn. But there are some terrific characters, Stringer Bell, McNulty and my personal favourite, Omar Little, a kind of a Robin Hood character, literally from 'the Hood' who provides one of the greatest openings to a show ever, taken straight from a spaghetti western!!

So my advice is to watch both series, you don't want to miss out on either!