France v Germany - 04/07 BBC One 5pm

Comments

• dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really? Valbuena? Griezmann?

Nah...Germany will be okay with those two, playing a European team will suit Germany better, both should be fairly evenly matched, not going to be playing a team who have nothing to lose, so I would expect France to be fairly cautious.
  • TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't need searing pace to trouble the German defence - just a little pace and skill will do. Not convincec by their defence at all and legs are an issue in midfield too.

Add man flu to the equation and I can see France winning comfortably if they get ahead.

No, it's not flu. Influenza flattens someone for a fortnight and would affect an athlete disasterously. The German squad can't have flu, probably a rampant cold. Why is a cold always flu these days? It's a ruse to justify a sickie.

And, lo, the radio just said "light colds" - the media really are a sensationalist bunch of pillocks! :D
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,805
    Forum Member
    TheSloth wrote: »
    And, lo, the radio just said "light colds" - the media really are a sensationalist bunch of pillocks! :D

The article on the BBC said all the players trained anyway...clearly not that bad then.
  • NiteOwl12NiteOwl12 Posts: 6,127
    Forum Member
    Germans will adopt a much more respectful approach than they did against Algeria; it was their arrogance that led them to expose Neuer so appallingly. Would like France to win, but feel Germany will pull out all the stops, including their traditional dive and writhe tactic, also known as the Klinsmann manoeuvre.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NiteOwl12 wrote: »
    Germans will adopt a much more respectful approach than they did against Algeria; it was their arrogance that led them to expose Neuer so appallingly. Would like France to win, but feel Germany will pull out all the stops, including their traditional dive and writhe tactic, also known as the Klinsmann manoeuvre.

Yes because we know France and all the other countries are against such behaviour.
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see the Jaymans go out but I expect them to grind out another win.
    Forum Member
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Yes because we know France and all the other countries are against such behaviour.

D'accord.

Allez les Bleus!
  • TiggywinkTiggywink Posts: 3,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it may be quite evenly matched when you compare their last games against the two African sides. They both struggled to dominate right to the end. The only difference between F and G was that France settled their match in 15 minutes less time than the Germans. They were both hard pressed.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nevermind the match, I love the Google doodles. Does anyone know where I can view all of the past ones?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    France: Lloris (c), Debuchy, Varane, Sakho, Evra, Cabaye, Matuidi, Pogba, Valbuena, Benzema, Griezmann

Germany: Neuer, Howedes, Hummels, Boateng, Lahm (c), Khedira, Schweinsteiger, Ozil, Muller, Kroos, Klose

Koscielny and Giroud make way for Sakho and Griezmann for France, while Klose comes in for Gotze for the Germans.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping France play Griezmann, it gives them a far better balance leaving out Giroud. Matuidi and Pogba can also cause Germany problems with their runs from midfield. It's going to be close, but I'm taking France to win 2-1, maybe in extra time.
    Forum Member
    I'm hoping France play Griezmann, it gives them a far better balance leaving out Giroud. Matuidi and Pogba can also cause Germany problems with their runs from midfield. It's going to be close, but I'm taking France to win 2-1, maybe in extra time.

Well, unless France are starting with 10 players, Griezmann is playing; thank goodness, Giroud really hasn't got what it takes at this level (cue first ever hat-trick for a substitute in a world cup quarter final) .
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Has Neuer brought his broom along for this match? Or will the defence in front of him actually do their jobs?
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    This should be epic. Plenty of bad blood (footballing) between these countries (well, formerly West Germany) in the past.

France have looked the more fluent to me so far but Germany are Germany even if they are all trying to play out of position this year.

Will we see a goalie error? These two have been leaving their goalmouths quite readily which can be a dangerous ploy.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What are the odds of one of the keepers getting sent off making a tackle outside of their areas? With two sweeper keepers there's a decent chance as it only takes one mistimed tackle.
    Forum Member
    Forum Member
    Looks like Lahm is reverting to fullback then? I'm glad Klose is playing too. Still think he's the best poacher they've got.
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    This should be epic. Plenty of bad blood (footballing) between these countries (well, formerly West Germany) in the past.

France have looked the more fluent to me so far but Germany are Germany even if they are all trying to play out of position this year.

Will we see a goalie error? These two have been leaving their goalmouths quite readily which can be a dangerous ploy.

yeah really looking forward to both games today

like seeing lahm back at fullback too , think it gives Germany a better look
  • hallchallc Posts: 200,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like to see France win but history says the Germans
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Heart say's France, head say's Germany.
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »
    What are the odds of one of the keepers getting sent off making a tackle outside of their areas? With two sweeper keepers there's a decent chance as it only takes one mistimed tackle.

Decent chance. Or a Hagi style halfway line goal from someone? Chance of that too. My roulette chip goes on "Lloris and Neuer - crunching challenge in midfield between the two Franz Beckenbauer clones."
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    Whoa? Shearer and Gullit in the same studio?
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigFoot87 wrote: »
    Whoa? Shearer and Gullit in the same studio?

Men move on.