The Nation's Favourite Motown Song

Comments

• Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blueju wrote: »
    I think Superstition may sneak another one in for Stevie ? Still cant believe Marvin only got in at no 17 though

its probably uptight
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's lovely to see all these old clips, and 45 records with the iconic labels etc.

The '60s and '70s are my favourite music decades.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i never considered the jacksons the sound of motown
  • 1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i never considered the jacksons the sound of motown

Did you not realise they were a Motown act?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    Did you not realise they were a Motown act?

yes but i don't consider them what i think is the sound of motown
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes but i don't consider them what i think is the sound of motown

oh, ok, haha!
  • ramraider1ramraider1 Posts: 14,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I missed the first 3 songs . Has Three times a lady been on ? I don't like it but I thought it would definitely be in the top 20. Prefer 'Still' by the Commodores.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ramraider1 wrote: »
    I missed the first 3 songs . Has Three times a lady been on ? I don't like it but I thought it would definitely be in the top 20. Prefer 'Still' by the Commodores.

No, no Commodores up to now.
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another Smokey classic. Fabulous song. And those moves!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These songs really stand the test of time, don't they? And the artists still look so cool and stunning. :)
  • NoseyLouieNoseyLouie Posts: 5,651
    Forum Member
    I haven't checked, but I don't think so. A lot of songs we think are Motown weren't recorded by that company. There's a tendency to lump all the "R&B" tunes of the era under "Motown."

Check out my link to all the Tamla recordings.

http://www.broadwayboogaloo.co.uk/boogooA56.htm

The tune is more famous for its use in the introduction to the Tarantino Blaxploitation movie, Jackie Brown, starring Pam Grier, which was shown earlier this week?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMhxayjtNz0

Cheers for that, I think it was written for Across 110th Street the film, of course the origina wave of blaxploitation film I suppose..It is still a wonderful song..gives me chills at the back of my neck!

Motown was just a record producers, not an actual genre, that makes sense, like the 'indie' as a genre popped up. Thanks Doghouse Riley :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i'm watching now on plus 1 and not too impressed with the choices so far, none of them are among my most played. The Temptations 'Papa was a Rolling Stone' i find a bit dull and while Jimmy Mack is a decent enough tune there were ones i liked more from Martha and the Vandella's. I'm hoping it will get better as we get higher up the list
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I adore the Marvin & Tammi version so much more than the Diana Ross version - I just think they are so great together.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    poor tammi, i think what becomes of the broken hearted and heatwave are definitive motown
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm..

The Yanks had the Temptations and those intricate dance steps....

and we had, "The Shadders' Walk!"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    I adore the Marvin & Tammi version so much more than the Diana Ross version.

Me too - I can't believe they didn't show the whole of the Marvin and Tammi version - it's so great to watch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm..

The Yanks had the Temptations and those intricate dance steps....

and we had, "The Shadders' Walk!"

they had elvis we had cliff
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These songs really stand the test of time, don't they? And the artists still look so cool and stunning. :)

Absolutely ! They really should have had a top 50 ! :)
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Curtis Mayfield was never Motown I guess. Where would Kanye be without Curtis Mayfield?

We're so lucky, our generation. We heard it and loved it first, before the 'rappers' stole it and ruined it.
  • mrbernaymrbernay Posts: 146,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    I adore the Marvin & Tammi version so much more than the Diana Ross version - I just think they are so great together.

Diana Ross showing how much of a Diva she had become.... I despise her for ruining The Supremes with her attitude....

Is there a rundown of the top songs somewhere?
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's enough archive material available of the great sixties and seventies "R & B" artists, (not just Motown) to produce another interesting programme.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Me too - I can't believe they didn't show the whole of the Marvin and Tammi version - it's so great to watch.

I like them both but Marvin and Tammi shade it for me as well. Pleased to see Tears of a Clown in here - I was 9 when it was released in 1970 and was my favourite record of that year.
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    waswalkon by a motown
  • BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ramraider1 wrote: »
    Absolutely ! They really should have had a top 50 ! :)

Ive had texts from Motown loving mates saying the same...should've been on for at least two hours like a lot of the other list type shows. I know were greedy...but its great isn't it regardless of favourites !!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I LOVE What Becomes Of The Brokenhearted. :cry:

So I'm very pleased to see it at No. 2.