Options

Friends Gripes

Comments

• Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been watching the earlier series this week and never really noticed before how strikingly beautiful Phoebe was. Monica and Rachel were treated like the two hot ones on and off the show, but there are scenes where Phoebe is in the background and totally steals the scene just by being so lovely.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the one after Vegas today and when Phoebe and Joey are running in the Chapel and i noticed that their mouths are not moving even though they are heard saying "quick Pheebs, hurry hurry"
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    olivej wrote: »
    ok - I have one

Monica and Chandlers wedding - Chandler thinks he has lost the disposable cameras from the tables so he, Joey and Ross take ONE disposable camera in the hope of taking enough photos to fool Monica into thinking he hasnt lost all the cameras - come on guys - ONE camera - seriously??!!

Wasn't that the joke? Along with the fact that it's mostly just Chandler and Ross in the photos?
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    Wasn't that the joke? Along with the fact that it's mostly just Chandler and Ross in the photos?

Yea that is the joke surely

They show Monica the pictures, Here is me, Here is Ross, Here is me AND Ross, There is Ross again....The joke is that they did it so half assed
  • Options
    Kyle123Kyle123 Posts: 25,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ross & Rachel were a weird set up. They were the big will they/won't they couple of the series but everything they did as a couple was kind of back to front. They got married but it was a drunken mistake and they were both 'not in that place' at the time. They had a child together but again they weren't really a couple at the time of conception and again that was a drunken mistake (plus a dodgy condom). When they actually were a couple they were only officially together around a year (or slightly less) and never lived together as a couple.

I didn't like the way they went about presenting the Ross and Rachel relationship for that reason. I don't love them as a couple as much as other people did, but I can appreciate that their relationship was one of the key plot points of the show.

My issue was that they were never really a will they/won't they couple after they first got together. Before their relationship was convincing enough, but after they got together, the show just couldn't resist bringing them together at every key moment in their lives. Everybody knew they'd end up together in the end, but they really made it so increasingly obvious and for me, it just made watching every other relationship they had feel like a massive waste of time.

I can't help but feel their story would have been far more interesting if they didn't keep bringing them together. I think the Emily saga worked well enough given the timing in comparison to the RR relationship, but after that they really just copped out. I think the whole thing would have been far more interesting if they actually did start leading their own lives, whilst still secretly yearning for each other. I know it'd have pissed a lot of people off, but I'd have liked it if Emma was Rachel's baby with someone else, or maybe if Ross did actually stick with a Mona, or a Charlie, or a Elisabeth or whoever else long term. They could have still ended up together, but making it such a neat little package was just so dull for me. At least at the start they had the added presence of Ross having a pregnant ex-wife, and Rachel huge baggage from Barry. It seemed far more messy, but to me that seems more realistic.

Oops, what a rant! :p
  • Options
    Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charlie being a **** is a gripe.

First she kisses Geller about 30 seconds after dumping Joey.

She then dumps Geller for her ex played by Greg Kinnear by actually kissing him in front of Geller.

OK, I know the latter one was played for laughs (and they had to split them up to set up Geller getting it on with Rachel by the finale), but for an educated professional scientist, she was a bit of a slag.
  • Options
    WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This one has probably been posted on here before, had a quick look but couldn't find it.

Another one about Joey getting more and more stupidier as the show went on

I was watching an earlier episode today about season 2 i think and Joey was on about this 'Lady' that he had been with saying that she had a very big adams apple. In a much later episode towards the end i remember him saying to saying to chandler about something was hurting his 'Joeys' Apple and chandler had ti explain to him they are not named after each person

Obviously the writers had totally fogotten about the earlier show i agree with most on here about how stupid he gets towards the end of the show and that where he cant speak french was just plain stupid

Yep I posted the exact same thing earlier in the thread. His stupidity was one of the show's weakest things for me, as it went on. But the studio audience seemed to adore it and he was obviously a fan favourite so I guess they thought "let's run with it!"

I always preferred Joey rougher round the edges as seen in earlier seasons, although admittedly, he was always my least favourite.
  • Options
    Marvellous1Marvellous1 Posts: 1,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't know if this has been mentioned. But Joey was such a bad dancer, he ran out of an audition after teaching the other dancers "Joey-steps", then he can miraculously teach Trager the maintenance man how to ballroom dance????
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched an episode the other day where Phoebe wanted to use Rachel's photocopier at work and her lack of interest in Rachel's career surprised me. Surely she would have been told at some point that Rachel no longer worked Bloomingdale's?
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like the show, I don't need to find reasons to slag it off
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »

Don't get me wrong, I like it too. I guess though, having seen it multiple times and it having ended a decade ago, there isn't any mileage in general discussion, so I find this thread a bit of mild fun.
  • Options
    k0213818k0213818 Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    Don't know if this has been mentioned. But Joey was such a bad dancer, he ran out of an audition after teaching the other dancers "Joey-steps", then he can miraculously teach Trager the maintenance man how to ballroom dance????

To be fair it was Trager which knew the dancing, he just needed Joey to play the role of his partner.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    I watched an episode the other day where Phoebe wanted to use Rachel's photocopier at work and her lack of interest in Rachel's career surprised me. Surely she would have been told at some point that Rachel no longer worked Bloomingdale's?

The whole point of that hinged on the fact that Phoebe was a space cadet with a lack of awareness of the more pedestrian elements of everyday life. Hence, she could probably give you a detailed explanation of who Rachel was in a past life, but had limited interest/knowledge about her day to day existence.
  • Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    dd68 wrote: »

It's just a lighthearted thread.(one Im super pleased to see is still going :D)
    We all watched the show enough times to notice these things and wouldn't do so if we didn't like it but you notice little slip ups in the continuity or major character shifts why not discuss it .. that's what the internet is for hehehe
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Kyle123 i agree with you about R & R
    Emma being Ross's baby didn't make any sense.
    If anything that should've been the reason Ross didn't want her to go but they didn't even discuss it. "Oh you'll be seeing Emma just fine but Im leaving forever so you must declare your love for me right now" or such
  • Options
    Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I absolutely love friends but god some of the writing and continuity was awful. Joey speaking French was just ridiculous but I can forgive all that :D PIVOT PIVOT PIIVVVOOOTTTT!!! SHUTUP SHUTUP SHUUUTTTUUUPPP!! :D:D
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kyle123 wrote: »

I can't help but feel their story would have been far more interesting if they didn't keep bringing them together. I think the Emily saga worked well enough given the timing in comparison to the RR relationship, but after that they really just copped out. I think the whole thing would have been far more interesting if they actually did start leading their own lives, whilst still secretly yearning for each other. I know it'd have pissed a lot of people off, but I'd have liked it if Emma was Rachel's baby with someone else, or maybe if Ross did actually stick with a Mona, or a Charlie, or a Elisabeth or whoever else long term. They could have still ended up together, but making it such a neat little package was just so dull for me. At least at the start they had the added presence of Ross having a pregnant ex-wife, and Rachel huge baggage from Barry. It seemed far more messy, but to me that seems more realistic.

Out of all of Ross' girlfriends I thought Mona was the nicest (and I'm including Rachel in that list). Despite the crappy way Ross treated Mona (by not telling her that Rachel was pregnant, and forgetting to meet her at places because of some drama related to Rachel's pregnancy) she still stood by him. She put up with a lot of crap from Ross but she never whinged, moaned or acted jealous. She only finished with him because Ross, again, neglected to mention something, that Rachel had moved in with him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Julie was lovely to Ross too before Rachel messed it all up, Bonnie too although we didn't really see a lot of her.
    Poor Mona tho, he still chose Rachel over her
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The way Ross and Rachel treated each other (Together and apart) would be uncomfortable viewing in any other show, The comedy element of friends keeps it from being too sadistic almost
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm watching the one with the unagi right now and i've seen a continuity error. Chandler and Monica are celebrating valentines day in this episode because she was working on the actual day but in that episode where Jill is introduced Monica was sick with the flu around that time as Ross and Jill go on a date on valentines day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ooh good catch !
  • Options
    RingoJ739KRingoJ739K Posts: 23,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the early seasons of Friends, it is regularly mentioned that Ross lost his virginity to Carol. Yet in Season 7, this turns out not to be true and it is then revealed that Ross slept with a cleaner lady during his college years.

There was also a bit of inconsistety with Phoebe and her past. Phoebe constantly claims that her Dad ran out on her when she was born. Except when her father unexpectedly turns up a few seasons later, he mentions that he was around when she was a child and used to sing the "Sleepy girl" song (ala Smelly Cat song). So he didn't actually run away when she was born?

It's also kind of annoying that Phoebe Birth mother appears in 3 episodes and is then never seen or mentioned again. Likewise with her father after one single episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RingoJ739K wrote: »
    In the early seasons of Friends, it is regularly mentioned that Ross lost his virginity to Carol. Yet in Season 7, this turns out not to be true and it is then revealed that Ross slept with a cleaner lady during his college years.

There was also a bit of inconsistety with Phoebe and her past. Phoebe constantly claims that her Dad ran out on her when she was born. Except when her father unexpectedly turns up a few seasons later, he mentions that he was around when she was a child and used to sing the "Sleepy girl" song (ala Smelly Cat song). So he didn't actually run away when she was born?

It's also kind of annoying that Phoebe Birth mother appears in 3 episodes and is then never seen or mentioned again. Likewise with her father after one single episode.

She may have been told by her (Liar) grandma that he left at birth when he didn't. Phoebe may have been too young to remember him though, Maybe only months old

And her birth mother did appear when she decided to be a surrogate for Frank Jnr, But i agree she should have appeared more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure how true this is, but I heard the actress who played Phoebe's birth mother had some health issues in the period following her initial appearances, so a return was noy feasible.
  • Options
    oilcatoilcat Posts: 27,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its funny watching back now as the camera cuts from one person to another you can see them trying hard to stifle laughter :D

Courtney Cox is the worst!!:D:D