Options

does Jehmene have autism?

PlausibleDenialPlausibleDenial Posts: 978
Forum Member
✭✭
I haven't seen written or reported anywhere but Jehmene appears to be someone with autistic Spectrum condition.

Can anyone confirm?

Comments

• Options
    _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People said the same thing about Aiden when he was on.

I think someone with Autism would struggle incredibly with the whole process but he might be very low on the spectrum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    People said the same thing about Aiden when he was on.

I think someone with Autism would struggle incredibly with the whole process but he might be very low on the spectrum.

The nature of autism varies so much that you cant say
    Everyone would struggle, however he is anxious, he has difficulties with social interaction, he ruminates about things and his social communication is off. Lorna wing might describe him as 'active but odd'
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, and I hate the fact that anyone shy is thought to be autistic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did wonder about whether he had high functioning aspergers myself
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christ, anyone who seems a little unusual is automatically tagged as having some kind of mental disease these days.

No, he's not autistic, that headache is not a migrane, that sniffle is not flu and the pins-and-needles in your leg isn't a heart attack, you have just been sitting oddly ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did wonder about whether he had high functioning aspergers myself

Me too, he has that air about him.

And to the person 'old tallen' it is not 'anyone' who can be described
    As having autistic traits. Also autism is not a mental disease or mental health problem it is a condition from birth and if he does have autisric spectrum condition it is very inspiring for other people with autism and it is therefore a valid question!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The nature of autism varies so much that you cant say
    Everyone would struggle, however he is anxious, he has difficulties with social interaction, he ruminates about things and his social communication is off. Lorna wing might describe him as 'active but odd'

I work with people with autism for a living. I'm not sure what you're trying to say to me but I stand by my comments. Someone further up the autistic spectrum and therefore more likely to have been diagnosed with it would struggle on the XF. I don't see anything other than social awkwardness, which isn't a uniquely autistic trait, which would suggest he had autism.
  • Options
    alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work with people with autism for a living. I'm not sure what you're trying to say to me but I stand by my comments. Someone further up the autistic spectrum and therefore more likely to have been diagnosed with it would struggle on the XF. I don't see anything other than social awkwardness, which isn't a uniquely autistic trait, which would suggest he had autism.

This. I've worked with people with autism too and I don't think he has it. He's just shy and a bit naive / innocent, which is unusual these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not everyone who has autism has a learning disability.
    Autism can occur with an ld, but not always and there are just as
    Many people with asc that dont need carers.

Someone with low functioning autism has a learning disability, someone like Jehmene would be high functioning. I suggest you do some reading so that you can help support the people you work with better.

Knowing 'a' person with autism or even ten people with autism is just knowing those individual people, which is the nature of a spectrum.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For me he has behaviours and mannerisms that fit the triad. i see his posture and the manner he holds hinself. The way he speaks and the way he interacted with dermot. He didnt respond in a manner similar to someone else. Also when asked
    About what he thought of the nickname babycakes he said it was 'interesting' which is an interesting response. The giggling also shows his anxiousness. Either way, i was merely asking whether it had been announced whether he did!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not everyone who has autism has a learning disability.
    Autism can occur with an ld, but not always and there are just as
    Many people with asc that dont need carers.

Someone with low functioning autism has a learning disability, someone like Jehmene would be high functioning. I suggest you do some reading so that you can help support the people you work with better.

Knowing 'a' person with autism or even ten people with autism is just knowing those individual people, which is the nature of a spectrum.

You are completely missing my point. I said that Jahmne might be lower down on the autistic spectrum but the chances of him being diagnosed in that case are fairly minimal, and I don't believe that am Internet forum is the appropriate place to be making a diagnosis on the basis of the 20 or so minutes we've seen of Jahmne's personality.

I know a lot about autism - I've been working with people who have autism for over 15 years, so don't try to patronise me to make a point.

You've upset me now with your insinuation that I don't know enough about the people I work with so I'm not going to post on this thread again. Enjoy your unfounded speculation.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We think so in this house hold OP. Of course we can't be sure as we don't really know him, but we've all thought it.
  • Options
    alsmamaalsmama Posts: 4,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are completely missing my point. I said that Jahmne might be lower down on the autistic spectrum but the chances of him being diagnosed in that case are fairly minimal, and I don't believe that am Internet forum is the appropriate place to be making a diagnosis on the basis of the 20 or so minutes we've seen of Jahmne's personality.

I know a lot about autism - I've been working with people who have autism for over 15 years, so don't try to patronise me to make a point.

You've upset me now with your insinuation that I don't know enough about the people I work with so I'm not going to post on this thread again. Enjoy your unfounded speculation.

Totally agree with you Elly. It's too easy for people to bring autism into everything these days - it was the same with dyslexia years ago ... certain things become trendy for a while and people start querying anyone and everyone.
  • Options
    smurftcsmurftc Posts: 2,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1fab wrote: »
    No, and I hate the fact that anyone shy is thought to be autistic.

Totally agree with this post... Im baffled as to why some people think they can diagnose medical problems when they clearly know nothing about autism !! FGS he is just shy !!
  • Options
    xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member
    I doubt it, most people with autism wouldn't be able to cope with the process.
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xeo wrote: »
    I doubt it, most people with autism wouldn't be able to cope with the process.

That's just not true and a bit insulting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Its Mark Atkinson who said,“when you’ve met one person with
    autism, you’ve met one person with autism”, which is why humility is required. Its also one of Dr Temple Grandin's favoured quotes and its true. You may know a selection of peope with autism over the course of 15 years but these are people with autism that evidently have higher support needs, hence your working with them. Also your term 'lower down on the spectrum' does not make any sense as if anything he would be considered to have higher fuctioning autism and the typography that lorna wing might describe as 'active but odd'

And to Bastardbeaver, thank you for letting me know its crossed
    Someone elses mind!
  • Options
    Tram5Tram5 Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    Everyone can potentially display behaviours reminiscent of behaviours identified with the autistic spectrum.
    Got to love the armchair psychologists on here.
  • Options
    clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know someone whose son has Aspergers. She's convinced Jahmene has Aspergers also.
  • Options
    bluefbbluefb Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone's an amateur psychologist nowadays.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    I understand the curiosity, but to me it is just... irrelevant? So what if he is, so what if he isn't kind of thing? Won't people just talk about his voice and talent? Are people not at all concerned with how this accusation may upset him? To me he is just very awkward and shy, he was like a rabbit in headlights on stage talking to dermot, just totally out of his comfort zone, and hey I know how that feels! Im a very shy and awkward person, and I struggle to function "normally" sometimes and would no end stood on a stage like that in front of so many people! I wouldn't no what the heck to say! Did you see him fiddling with his ring shaking like a damn leaf? So shaky nervousness and one word answers in front of thousands of people equates to autism? Huh?

Really though, if he is, its up to him to discuss this with the public, so lets not accuse until he feels its necessary to discuss it. For now we might as well all assume he is just a very nervous and awkward guy, and one of many! Myself included!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nicotine wrote: »
    I understand the curiosity, but to me it is just... irrelevant? So what if he is, so what if he isn't kind of thing? Won't people just talk about his voice and talent? Are people not at all concerned with how this accusation may upset him? To me he is just very awkward and shy, he was like a rabbit in headlights on stage talking to dermot, just totally out of his comfort zone, and hey I know how that feels! Im a very shy and awkward person, and I struggle to function "normally" sometimes and would no end stood on a stage like that in front of so many people! I wouldn't no what the heck to say! Did you see him fiddling with his ring shaking like a damn leaf? So shaky nervousness and one word answers in front of thousands of people equates to autism? Huh?

Really though, if he is, its up to him to discuss this with the public, so lets not accuse until he feels its necessary to discuss it. For now we might as well all assume he is just a very nervous and awkward guy, and one of many! Myself included!

Its not irrelevent, if he is, he is a role model.
    Its not a negative or anything for anyone to get defensive about.
  • Options
    clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think if Jehmene did have Aspergers it would be a good thing for other people with similar conditions. X Factor certainly hasn't been shy in the past about using people with these kinds of differences as objects of fun, think of all the comedy auditions. How refreshing to see someone not being used as the butt of a producers joke but actually progressing in the show.

People would see that Aspergers isn't necessarily a disability.
  • Options
    Tram5Tram5 Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    bluefb wrote: »
    Everyone's an amateur psychologist nowadays.

Indeed and far too free with the labels. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing is it not?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    Christ, anyone who seems a little unusual is automatically tagged as having some kind of mental disease these days.

No, he's not autistic, that headache is not a migrane, that sniffle is not flu and the pins-and-needles in your leg isn't a heart attack, you have just been sitting oddly ;)

Couldnt put it better myself