✭✭✭
What do you remember taping off tv in the VHS days

And what was the first thing you recorded via Sky Plus or TiVo

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A South Bank Show Special from 1984 on the making of Paul McCartney's Give My Regards to Broad Street.

It was just something to fill the tape up with, really, after we'd done some home videoing on a camera rented from Radio Rentals. I still have it, too.
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    ER. Ch4 showed 2 episodes each morning, and I'd been a latecomer to the program, so for a few weeks I taped them while I was at work and then had a nice time every evening catching all the early episodes I hadn't seen.

The Cheltenham Festival. Again, steered clear of results and watched it all after work.

Still don't have any current recording or 'catch up' facility now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Loads of stuff, films, documentaries, I was so excited when we first got a video recorder! Best thing I ever taped was the film The Company of Wolves. It was on Channel 4, they used to have a thing in the 80s where they showed a vaguely 'alternative' film every Thursday night. I saw a trailer and thought it looked good, so set the timer (go me!), and to this day it's still my favourite film ever, seen it dozens of times.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    A lot of music videos from early 90s MTV (Sophie B. Hawkins "Damn I wish
    I was your lover", Elton John & Eric Clapton's "Runaway Train", New Order's
    "World"). I also taped several eps of "Red Dwarf" and repeats of
    "Doctor Who" off UK Gold.
  • Options
    kazzieconkazziecon Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    Live Aid - kept it till I received the DVD a couple of Christmases ago.

Still got the first episode of Challenge Anneka!

First thing I ever sky+'d was probably EastEnders!!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 361
    Forum Member
    The last thing I recorded was a episode of Emmerdale, I still have the tape somewhere.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    I had a great VHS tape of all the decent music that was broadcast on TV.

This was long before MTV or any other music channel, so it took ages to fill the tape with decent stuff from Top of The Pops, the Old Grey Whistle Test and very rare live music specials.

Kids today don't know they are born with online music videos and music channels on TV.
  • Options
    miss buzzybeemiss buzzybee Posts: 16,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember an old recording on Alice in Wonderland with Fiona Fullarton playing Alice came with out first video recorder. Looked like it was taped in the 70's, was prob early 80's on BBC2
  • Options
    MuzeMuze Posts: 2,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Late night WWF as hard as I tried I could never stay up for the best match lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    abarthman wrote: »
    I had a great VHS tape of all the decent music that was broadcast on TV.

This was long before MTV or any other music channel, so it took ages to fill the tape with decent stuff from Top of The Pops, the Old Grey Whistle Test and very rare live music specials.

Kids today don't know they are born with online music videos and music channels on TV.

My better half and I were discussing this the other night, but about radio instead of TV. I used to spend all of Sunday evening in my room with my fingers poised over the 'record' and 'play' buttons on my tape player when the Top 40 was on, and then afterwards for the Anne Nightingale show (a request show on Radio 1, for those who don't know). I discovered so much great music through Anne Nightingale that I just heard the first few notes of, thought 'that sounds interesting', pressed down on play and record, and there it was to listen to over and over again. Sometimes I wouldn't quite catch who the band was, or what the song was called, and there would ensue several days/weeks of me searching record shops, listening to Anne Nightingale again in case she played it again etc, until I worked out who it was, and then I could save my pocket money and buy it.

Ah, those were the days .. jumpers for goalposts .... *goes dreamy eyed* :)
  • Options
    xander63xander63 Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taping The Deep (1977) movie, on ITV from my brand new Sanyo VTC9300PN Betamax video recorder.

Which weighed a ton, with it's wired remote control, was so happy when I bought it. How times have changed eh.

Cost me £399 from Dixons, which was a small fortune back in 1981!!!

The Deep (1977)
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075925/?ref_=sr_2

Sanyo VTC9300PN Betamax video recorder.
    http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.rewindmuseum.com/images3/sanyovtc9300pn.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.rewindmuseum.com/betamax.htm&h=282&w=450&sz=84&tbnid=aAnD2FAnNpTMYM:&tbnh=75&tbnw=120&zoom=1&usg=__g09ofUn6DbrkZtqZwt6t945AA98=&docid=FafrlSTUiWJShM&sa=X&ei=6gQbUqC1MuKn0QXzv4CYCA&ved=0CDUQ9QEwAQ&dur=451
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christmas TOTP 1985. I still have it.
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    greymarl wrote: »
    My better half and I were discussing this the other night, but about radio instead of TV. I used to spend all of Sunday evening in my room with my fingers poised over the 'record' and 'play' buttons on my tape player when the Top 40 was on, and then afterwards for the Anne Nightingale show (a request show on Radio 1, for those who don't know). I discovered so much great music through Anne Nightingale that I just heard the first few notes of, thought 'that sounds interesting', pressed down on play and record, and there it was to listen to over and over again. Sometimes I wouldn't quite catch who the band was, or what the song was called, and there would ensue several days/weeks of me searching record shops, listening to Anne Nightingale again in case she played it again etc, until I worked out who it was, and then I could save my pocket money and buy it.

Ah, those were the days .. jumpers for goalposts .... *goes dreamy eyed* :)

BIB. God....., me too. Week in and week out. lol.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Early recordings I made on VHS included movies from ITV-Star Wars and Live And Let Die being among them. I remember ITV (LWT as was back then) running movies on a Sunday night between 7.45 and 10.00 and removing the adverts to fit them on to a two hours tape. Other early recording memories include The Martian Chronicles (which I've now got on dvd so must dig out the tapes and add them to the "to be binned" pile :D) and The Land That Time Forgot.

As to Sky+ one of the first things I remember recording after the installer had left and I was playing around with it to see exactly what it could do was Jake 2.0 :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    Live Aid, BBC2 Arena: Mentioned in Dispatches (1979) Tim Page at the ICA, Annie Nightingale with The Police on tour in Japan, Heimat, Tenko, James Cameron (journalist, travel-writer)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    retroguy wrote: »
    What do you remember taping off tv in the VHS days

And what was the first thing you recorded via Sky Plus or TiVo

About 1000 tapes worth of WWF Wrestling when I first got sky back in the 1980s.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26
    Forum Member
    xander63 wrote: »
    Taping The Deep (1977) movie, on ITV from my brand new Sanyo VTC9300PN Betamax video recorder.

We had this model of video recorder too. Our first rental videotapes were 'Freaky Friday' (1976, Jodie Foster) and 'Soft Beds, Hard Battles' (1974 Peter Sellers)
  • Options
    froggy22froggy22 Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Every season of Friends
  • Options
    Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A 1983 Peter Davison 'Doctor Who' story called 'Enlightenment'. Enjoyed it so much could never bring myself to tape over it. Oh, and the last two episodes of 'The Prisoner' I had for donkeys years.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've a VHS library of "film noir" taped from the TV from the early eighties, though some of these I've replaced with DVDs as they've since been released in that format.

I've a few from "Ted Turner TV." which were "colourised" monochrome prints. The colours look a bit strange.
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of comedies.
    Hancock's Half Hour
    Steptoe and Son
    Benny Hill
    Laurel and Hardy films when BBC2 showed them at 5.40 every night.
    I remember watching (and taping) Multi-Coloured Swap Shop on a Saturday morning, then rewinding the tape straight away and watching it again ! Because we COULD ! :D
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Max Headroom Show (the one where he showed pop videos)
    :)
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We used to record all sorts of stuff on VHS - especially when my dad would work at nights and would therefore miss most of his favourite shows. This may stem from the fact that we didn't get Sky Plus until I was 18 (I'm 23 now).
  • Options
    user986user986 Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    I remember taping "Can't Cook Won't Cook" from BBC Prime religiously but cannot find the tapes anymore - I fear that probably lost them when we moved to our new place.
    I still have some Delia shows though which I rewatch when in the mood to bake basic white bread. I think her lessons were decent.
    Besides these, I taped movies and documentaries.
  • Options
    _Magnum__Magnum_ Posts: 215
    Forum Member
    I used to tape Sunset beach every morning when I was at school.

This must have been around 1997/98

I know a big omnibus used to come on at the weekend but I could never wait that long as I was such a diehard fan lol.

Looking at it now its still quite good but I can't fathom why I was so addicted.