Miley Cyrus - Burning Out or Just an Act?

RealityRocksRealityRocks Posts: 4,215
Forum Member
✭✭✭
OK so watching Miley's 'performance' at the VMAs she's either a 'wild child' a la Amanda Bynes / Lindsay Lohan or she's putting on a great big contrived and desperate act to be edgy and shed her Disney persona.

I think it's the latter... it's working for single sales, evidently, but is selling out her dignity worth it in the long term I wonder?

Comments

• mrtrobzmrtrobz Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's part of her image for the song. It isn't meant to be taken seriously. Her next song is a ballad she will be back to normal. It's just a persona she has for the single.

The lyrics are about doing what she wants the image is meant to reflect that meaning she has accepted people will talk about her regardless of what she does. It is all a persona she is normal in all of her interviews and on her social media sites. Infact she seems quite normal curling up and watching TV most nights on twitter or staying in with her mother. :p

The VMAs are always known for controversy too. Britney kissing Madonna, Gaga hanging herself, Nikki Minaj getting exercised on stage. All part of the PR process. ;)
  • ScarletStarletScarletStarlet Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish she'd put that bloody tongue away.
  • BellaFigaBellaFiga Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    people will talk about her regardless of what she does.

Really? Until she started thrusting her tongue out like someone on a day out from Bedlam, and wiggling her bottom ridiculously all over the shop, I barely thought about her.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's generally the only thought I have about her.
  • mrtrobzmrtrobz Posts: 784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BellaFiga wrote: »
    people will talk about her regardless of what she does.

Really? Until she started thrusting her tongue out like someone on a day out from Bedlam, and wiggling her bottom ridiculously all over the shop, I barely thought about her.

Well maybe not you but the majority of people who report about her. There is also a lot of bandwagoning at her too. I am not a huge fan of hers but I think people are reading too much into her. It's all just a set up for her to get publicity at the end of the day. She isn't going crazy she is just looking attention. :p
  • LaceyLouelle3LaceyLouelle3 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Its a desperate act to remain 'current'.
  • artlesschaosartlesschaos Posts: 11,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's a kid, emotionally immature with emotionally immature parents who are allowing her to parent them. I'm not surprised she is acting up, I just wish that someone would save her before it all goes horribly wrong.

Also, don't give your daughter a stripper name and be surprised when she lives down to it - Billy Ray, your daughter is on the pole, you are a bad daddy!
  • Cyril_SneerCyril_Sneer Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its a complete act .... watch how she acts all wacky and drugged out in the song intro at VMA's but she's totally composed, in "singing" mode as her first verse comes in, perfectly on time.

I doubt she is anything other than totally normal and professional backstage.
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She can't sing, she can't dance and that bloody tongue thing is ridiculous.
  • PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever it is, its got everyone talking today... So if it is an act, its working.
  • Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I think it's all an act and as has been said it's working.
    I mean Gaga was pretty much naked on stage but people are talking about Miley
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That is word for word what I was thinking. My kids used to watch that programme she was in and I couldn't look at her mouth then!
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Phew, that was pretty hot. I'm a little flustered now I have to say :p
  • anteroantero Posts: 5,547
    Forum Member
    I think it's all an act and as has been said it's working.
    I mean Gaga was pretty much naked on stage but people are talking about Miley

Exactly, it was meant to be the dramatic return of Gaga and Katy Perry yet no one is talking about them at all...mission accomplished Miley :p
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    cjsmummy wrote: »
    She can't sing, she can't dance and that bloody tongue thing is ridiculous.

She can, she's got a more then decent country sounding voice -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i5W9B27BvM

however, my main thoughts after that performance at VMA were 'how bloody uncomfortable are those knickers'
  • muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not flattering at all, butt cheeks hanging out like oranges in a sock, unsightly. Mind you these days you can be famous even with no talent

She just strutted about in an ill fitting "outfit"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miley still looks so young to be up there doing that kinda stuff, it's painful on the eyes, it's hard to take her seriously, regardless of what she does . .

It just ends up looking desperate, embarrassing & therefore, sad . .. ..

Watching these teen stars, Spears, Lohan etc crash & burn isn't funny, but it seems to be used as entertainment for our supposed obsession with celebrity, when really it's just about making money & not really caring for the persons involved, a sad inditement of todays stars & their manipulators behind the scenes. . . .

What's the most outrageous thing we can do at the MTV awards, Why don't you run around the stage, rub your privates, with hardly any clothes on, making suggestive poses, looking like a singing stripper . . .

Nice work MTV, Well done, Miley & her Team !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Same. It seems to be a trend at the moment for girls to waggle their tongues everywhere, and it's revolting.

I don't think the Miley we've been seeing for the last few years is her true self at all. I think she's a silly little girl who is desperate to rebel after years of being a Disney kid. I actually don't blame her as having to maintain a clean cut image 24/7 must be so repressive and frustrating, but she took it way too far at the VMAs.
  • rammsteinqueenrammsteinqueen Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ever since she got her barnet cut she's started to act like a revolting little cretin.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is Miley getting away from her sickly sweet image..she is now 20 and an adult..yet some think she should still look like Hannah Montana ..
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's like a Poundland Rihanna. Pathetic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is Miley getting away from her sickly sweet image..she is now 20 and an adult..yet some think she should still look like Hannah Montana ..

No-one's saying she shouldn't grow up, just that doing so while retaining some dignity and class wouldn't go a-miss.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No-one's saying she shouldn't grow up, just that doing so while retaining some dignity and class wouldn't go a-miss.

Don't you think that's why she is doing it this way? To go completely against what is expected from her
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't you think that's why she is doing it this way? To go completely against what is expected from her

I can see there's obviously some shock-tactic rebellion going on, I just don't see why she's choosing to behave in such a classless way. If she wants people to view her as an adult rather than a child star then there are more attractive, less immature ways of achieving that.