Ireland the best country in the world - it's official

Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ireland is the ‘goodest’ country in the world, according to a new survey which measures what 125 nations contribute to the planet and humanity

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2666132/The-Good-Country-Index-Ireland-crowned-goodest-country-world.html

The UK comes seventh, which is surprising but fantastic news.

Comments

• DangerBrotherDangerBrother Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Val Doonican and Terry Wogan
  • Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Val Doonican and Terry Wogan

Both great chaps. I would have also mentioned Mike Nolan, Dublin born member of the legendary singing group Bucks Fizz.
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another useless survey.
    *gets out oversized foam top hat with Guinness sticker on it*

It's OFFICIAL! I am the grumpiest bugger in Scotland tonight, according to a SURVEY of 1-ME! :o:D
  • Dub2Dub2 Posts: 2,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »
    Another useless survey.
    *gets out oversized foam top hat with Guinness sticker on it*

It's OFFICIAL! I am the grumpiest bugger in Scotland tonight, according to a SURVEY of 1-ME! :o:D

You`re just jealous cos Scotland doesn`t qualify as a country yet.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UK is at number 1 for Science and Technology.
  • sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Belgium #1 for culture? I need help with that one.
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dub2 wrote: »
    Both great chaps. I would have also mentioned Mike Nolan, Dublin born member of the legendary singing group Bucks Fizz.

You were doing well there until....
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    The last time I popped to Dublin, there was just as many East European accents as I hear around the UK. Not one 'native Irish' person served me in Bewleys.

How does this 'best country in the world' thing tally up with the 'send 'em back' brigade?
  • cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    Ireland the best country in the world - it's official

>>>>>

Hopefully this means there will be fewer convoys of Irelands caravan travelers and didicoys heading for GB.
  • SemillionSemillion Posts: 612
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'Humanity'...?

I guess so if one tends to ignore the role that the RC church has played in that country over the centuries and especially in the 20th century. Rampant abuse of children by priests, nuns and bishops, horrific and inhumane treatment and attitudes towards women and unmarried mothers whose babies were stolen from them and sold to wealthy Americans by nuns.
    Then there's the mother and baby 'homes' run by nuns and where girls were sent by their 'good Catholic parents' out of shame which were little more than gulags, burying the bodies of hundreds of babies and children in unmarked graves. Divorce and contraception denied to women until relatively recently, no reproductive rights for women and appallingly archaic attitudes towards pre-marital sex and the role of women in marriage that exist even today. I also volunteer work for a dog rescue charity and I have never seen such a wanton disregard for the welfare of animals as I have seen in the republic of Ireland, cruelty to animals seems endemic in Irish society and I see it all the bloody time.
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Proud to be from the little place - the world wouldn't be the same without us :p
  • Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    The last time I popped to Dublin, there was just as many East European accents as I hear around the UK. Not one 'native Irish' person served me in Bewleys.

How does this 'best country in the world' thing tally up with the 'send 'em back' brigade?

Ireland is increasingly becoming a multicultural nation, whats wrong with that?
  • Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So we're officially the "goodest" nation on earth? Well, that's great - its always nice to get a compliment, even if it does sound like something said by a six year old.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »
    It's not though.
    why not? We don't start wars or kill people , we enjoy a few pints and possibly have the most beautiful country in the world - in all fairness it ain't so bad.
  • jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    why not? We don't start wars or kill people , we enjoy a few pints and possibly have the most beautiful country in the world - in all fairness it ain't so bad.

You didn't cover yourself in glory during WW2 though.
  • Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing what you can do when you stop bombing and shooting people. Oh and stop fiddling with choir-boys.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't be silly. We were neutral, leaning towards the Allied side during ww2. And some in Britain haven't stopped wailing and weeping about it ever since. If you'd had a "neutral" country like Franco's Spain on your doorstep you'd really have something to cry about.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jclock66 wrote: »
    You didn't cover yourself in glory during WW2 though.
    It's open to debate really - at the time Britain was as evil in the minds of Irish people as Germany was... Subsequent revelations of course brought the horror of WW2 to light, to attack Ireland bring neutral is unfair.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazing what you can do when you stop bombing and shooting people. Oh and stop fiddling with choir-boys.
    Oh don't worry Britain has as much blood on its hands in Ireland - we could never reach the levels of killing that Britain inflicted on Ireland.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazing what you can do when you stop bombing and shooting people.

Yes, isn't it? Maybe Britain should try it too.
    Oh and stop fiddling with choir-boys.

Tell that to Jimmy Savile, Cyril Smith and their cohorts.
  • jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    irishfeen wrote: »
    It's open to debate really - at the time Britain was as evil in the minds of Irish people as Germany was... Subsequent revelations of course brought the horror of WW2 to light, to attack Ireland bring neutral is unfair.

Thank god the UK stood up against Hitler or Ireland would be a vastly different place today.
  • Wolfman13Wolfman13 Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    Don't be silly. We were neutral, leaning towards the Allied side during ww2. And some in Britain haven't stopped wailing and weeping about it ever since. If you'd had a "neutral" country like Franco's Spain on your doorstep you'd really have something to cry about.

Would you say the same about the Irish and Northern Ireland. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wolfman13 wrote: »
    Would you say the same about the Irish and Northern Ireland. ;-)

Nobody I know gives two hoots about partition, so no.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheetah666 wrote: »
    Yes, isn't it? Maybe Britain should try it too.

Tell that to Jimmy Savile, Cyril Smith and their cohorts.

Haha so true! :)