Options

Any Legal experts?

James3334James3334 Posts: 7
Forum Member
Hi,

My wife has been named in a court case over unpaid tuition fees. She has a daughter with her ex-husband and my wife and her ex do not have any contact at all.

The daughter who is now 19 organised tutors on my wife's email address and home address. The ex husband agreed to pay the tutors fees but for some reason he decided to stop pay the tuition after a while fees and ignore their emails, letters and phone calls. There is now a bill of over £1000 and my wife has been named along with the ex in the court case.

Why is wife named in the court case? Shouldn't it be the responsibility of the ex husband and daughter?

Comments

• Options
    Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When you say 'court case' is this a notification of a County court claim?
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How old was the daughter when the tuition was organised. Is the tuition private, with a private tutor?
  • Options
    James3334James3334 Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    tiacat wrote: »
    How old was the daughter when the tuition was organised. Is the tuition private, with a private tutor?

18, with a private tuition company.
  • Options
    smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    Did you sign anything?
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James3334 wrote: »

Who booked the tuition?
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP, like medical questions, a forum is not the place to get any advice that will be of material use to you. None of us have all the info and most of us are not lawyers. I'd look on a specific legal website, pay the fee and ask the question there with all the material facts.

Good luck!
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,428
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    OP, like medical questions, a forum is not the place to get any advice that will be of material use to you. None of us have all the info and most of us are not lawyers. I'd look on a specific legal website, pay the fee and ask the question there with all the material facts.

Good luck!

Indeed, Pull2Open. A useful first contact in this instance might be the Law Centres Network: http://www.lawcentres.org.uk/
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good luck!

I disagree with this. You get a lot of sensible advice here.

The thing is though, if your email address was used to book online you probably woud have got a confirmation, although you may have just deleted it as spam? How would your daughter have been able to deal with this with your email address

In any event, if its not your order, and they surely will not be able to sue you. Having said that, if a court case has been set you will need to attend.

But it then becomes a bigger issue, as your daughter may guilty of fraud, rather than just not paying a bill.

You need to get to talk to her, and get her to sort it. Failing that you need to decide how far to drop her in it.
  • Options
    JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are your wife are telling the truth, all you have to do is go to the court and say you did not order tuition, someone else used your email account. I am rather surprised that your wife has not simply written and said so. Your daughter admits she ordered the tuition, she will have to pay.

It would be a bit different if your daughter was not yet 18. Your wife has a divorce settlement laid down by a court about the daughter's education costs.

This is not legal advice. People who get divorced and bound up in silly court actions trying to screw their former spouse out of jealousy and hatred get what they deserve and the courts and the lawyers get some of their money, it keeps them going nicely.

You are best keeping out of it. Except to tell your wife she really has to move on.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James3334 wrote: »

Surely, as an adult, the daughter is liable to pay?
  • Options
    Hildas HairnetHildas Hairnet Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    Surely, as an adult, the daughter is liable to pay?

Agree, she's 18, she arranged it, end of story
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree with this. You get a lot of sensible advice here.

The thing is though, if your email address was used to book online you probably woud have got a confirmation, although you may have just deleted it as spam? How would your daughter have been able to deal with this with your email address

In any event, if its not your order, and they surely will not be able to sue you. Having said that, if a court case has been set you will need to attend.

But it then becomes a bigger issue, as your daughter may guilty of fraud, rather than just not paying a bill.

You need to get to talk to her, and get her to sort it. Failing that you need to decide how far to drop her in it.

I didn't say that the advice wouldn't be sensible but sensible doesn't mean legally correct. The law isn't always sensible but is the law and most of us on here are not lawyers. Many of us may think we are but that doesn't make it so!

The BIB is a case example, it is not in any way useful to the OP. It makes sense to you but you are not giving any advice that is of use, you are just saying what you think it should be.

Also, the bit about fraud...seriously OTT!
  • Options
    1965Wolf1965Wolf Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The question is, whether there is a contract between your wife and the tuition company. If there is, she is liable. If there isn't, she isn't!

If she did not arrange for the tuition, did not contact the company etc, she will need to enter a defence to that effect. It will then be a matter for the claimant to make out its case.

I am assuming she has received a county court summons. It is vital she enters a defence within the prescribed time, otherwise she could find judgment being entered against her by default.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't say that the advice wouldn't be sensible but sensible doesn't mean legally correct. The law isn't always sensible but is the law and most of us on here are not lawyers. Many of us may think we are but that doesn't make it so!

The BIB is a case example, it is not in any way useful to the OP. It makes sense to you but you are not giving any advice that is of use, you are just saying what you think it should be.

Yes, daughter could indeed be guilty of an offence if she has entered into a contract under another person's name.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1965Wolf wrote: »
    Yes, daughter could indeed be guilty of an offence if she has entered into a contract under another person's name.

Guilty??? Only a court can decide that!

Yes I know that fraud may be a possible outcome in such situations but to suggest a parent consider fraud against their daughter when there may have been no intention to defraud is a way OTT, particularly when the only info we have it what is in the OP.

Unless there is a Barrister, Solicitor or Legal Exec on here giving advice, I suggest anyone else is simply saying what they think rather than what they know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Guilty??? Only a court can decide that!

Yes I know that fraud may be a possible outcome in such situations but to suggest a parent consider fraud against their daughter when there may have been no intention to defraud is a way OTT, particularly when the only info we have it what is in the OP.

Unless there is a Barrister, Solicitor or Legal Exec on here giving advice, I suggest anyone else is simply saying what they think rather than what they know.

As a matter of fact, I am a solicitor.

Read my post. I said the daughter may be guilty of an offence, not that she was, nor that her parents should report her. To call that OTT is, frankly, ridiculous. What is nonsensical is non lawyers trying to pronounce on what could be a quite complex legal situation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1965Wolf wrote: »
    As a matter of fact, I am a solicitor.

Read my post. I said the daughter may be guilty of an offence, not that she was, nor that her parents should report her. To call that OTT is, frankly, ridiculous. What is nonsensical is non lawyers trying to pronounce on what could be a quite complex legal situation.

Then your advice is valid but it might have been better that you had identified yourself as such to avoid confusions.

I was referring more to the previous posters comments and making such severe suggestions without legal knowledge. Hence my opening gambit, pay for proper legal advice rather than rely on a forum full of faux keyboard lawyers.

BIB I agree and is what I am trying to say here about non lawyers giving legal advice.
  • Options
    jojoenojojoeno Posts: 1,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP check your house/home insurance most policies have a legal assurance leg to it , if you have follow up on that for legal advice
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then your advice is valid but it might have been better that you had identified yourself as such to avoid confusions.

I was referring more to the previous posters comments and making such severe suggestions without legal knowledge. Hence my opening gambit, pay for proper legal advice rather than rely on a forum full of faux keyboard lawyers.

BIB I agree and is what I am trying to say here about non lawyers giving legal advice.

Point taken Pull2Open.
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why? Assuming the OP (well the OPs wife) has been summoned to appear, which is what the OPs said, then not attending will result in summary judgment. So there needs to be an understanding of what the plaintiff is claiming, and what the defence is. So if the claim is that the OP entered into a contract, then the defence must be to show that the OP did not enter into a contract. It is surprising that the OPs was not aware of the contract, but be that as it may. Now if the OPs daughter entered into the contract, but falsely claimed to be the OPs, then clearly the daughter is acting fraudulently, I would have thought. The op may need to consider whether to settle the claim, or allow her daughter to get into serious trouble. Maybe the op ought to contact the plaintiff.

Overall I do not think my thoughts were bad. The op may need some legal advice. I am not sure I would turn up to court as a defendant without some careful consideration and understanding of what was going on.

On the other hand it may be that the op is just being asked to appear as a witness, and not a defendant.

I was not saying that you would sue your daughter for fraud. What I was saying is that if she has bought something in your name, and you deny it, then your daughter may have committed fraud, and be in a worse position than just having an unpaid debt. That's what I meant.