Experiences of Radiotherapy pls.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
Forum Member
Seems i have to under go some radiotherapy for a new Oesophageal tumour. I would welcome your experiences of Radiotherapy so I have some clue what I'm in for. Have had major surgery and chemotherapy in the past but Radiotherapy is a new experience for me.

Comments

• sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    I have no experience yet, but just wanted to send you my best wishes for your treatment!

I had my planning CT scan and tattoos today - will be starting 25 fractions from 28th July, so I might be able to report some experiences before you start!

Mind you, I'm sure there'll be plenty of others who will be more help than me before then... :D
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member
    There is some advice here: http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Cancertreatment/Treatmenttypes/Radiotherapy/Sideeffects/General.aspx

I know someone who's had cancer and the side effects of the radiotherapy was noticeably less than that of chemotherapy. I hope that helps.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,383
    Forum Member
    25 fractions, so that=25 days=5 weeks? OMG! Might that be what i'm in for?
    Forum Member
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    25 fractions, so that=25 days=5 weeks? OMG! Might that be what i'm in for?

Yep, 5 days a week for 5 weeks!

A bit like chemo, I think the number of treatments is very dependent on the type of cancer, the location etc etc. so you may not need as many (or more!) Your oncologist will decide on that...
    Forum Member
    There is some advice here: http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Cancertreatment/Treatmenttypes/Radiotherapy/Sideeffects/General.aspx

I know someone who's had cancer and the side effects of the radiotherapy was noticeably less than that of chemotherapy. I hope that helps.

Thanx, already been to MacMillan and Cancer Research sites. :-)
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,068
    Forum Member
    No knowledge of it but wanted to send you and also sadmuppet best wishes and I hope you both have very successful outcomes x
  • Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    sending you my best wishes LCDMAN. I had 15 days (3 x weeks with the weekends off) mine had to go through my abdomen so had the extra issues of needing to go on anti-sickness meds (I tried not to but was throwing my ring up after the first session but once I went on them I was fine)

Saying all that it wasn't really that bad, I also had 1 x dose of high level chemo (can't remember now which came first) I kept working full time all the way through it, I asked for the latest session they could do (I think that was 5.30) from memory the thing is that each time you go you get progressively more tired, so there is a mental battle ticking off the days,it gets harder to motivate yourself when you know you are going to feel that bit worse every time you go. But like I said, you get through it, I coped by concentrating on the thought that it was a fight against the tumour and the shitter I felt the more it was winning the fight. It's tough but it's 5 weeks out of your life and then you will start feeling better.

I imagine that we all deal with these things differently but for me it was like going into battle, I was determined that it wasn't going to effect my day to day life - it wasn't a walk in the park but neither was it the end of the world..
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I also had the 15 (3 weeks) for breast cancer . For me it was a doddle with no ill or side effects whatsoever barring the touch of sunburn like redness of the skin.
    Forum Member
    Croctacus wrote: »
    I also had the 15 (3 weeks) for breast cancer . For me it was a doddle with no ill or side effects whatsoever barring the touch of sunburn like redness of the skin.

Good to know you had minimal side effects - that's what I'm hoping for!!! :D

P.S. Thanks for the wishes RandomSally!
    Forum Member
    sending you my best wishes LCDMAN. I had 15 days (3 x weeks with the weekends off) mine had to go through my abdomen so had the extra issues of needing to go on anti-sickness meds (I tried not to but was throwing my ring up after the first session but once I went on them I was fine)

Saying all that it wasn't really that bad, I also had 1 x dose of high level chemo (can't remember now which came first) I kept working full time all the way through it, I asked for the latest session they could do (I think that was 5.30) from memory the thing is that each time you go you get progressively more tired, so there is a mental battle ticking off the days,it gets harder to motivate yourself when you know you are going to feel that bit worse every time you go. But like I said, you get through it, I coped by concentrating on the thought that it was a fight against the tumour and the shitter I felt the more it was winning the fight. It's tough but it's 5 weeks out of your life and then you will start feeling better.

I imagine that we all deal with these things differently but for me it was like going into battle, I was determined that it wasn't going to effect my day to day life - it wasn't a walk in the park but neither was it the end of the world..

Cheers, had 6 weeks in hospital (nil by mouth) and 10 weeks of chemo previously, so I guess it ain't gonna be fun. Being self employed I hope i cant schedule things so they don't interfere too much! Beat this bastard before, I'm sure i can do it again!
  • Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    LCDMAN wrote: »
    Cheers, had 6 weeks in hospital (nil by mouth) and 10 weeks of chemo previously, so I guess it ain't gonna be fun. Being self employed I hope i cant schedule things so they don't interfere too much! Beat this bastard before, I'm sure i can do it again!

You will do mate, you've definitely got the right attitude and after what you have been through this will be a walk in the park. Again all the best :)
  • snoopy33snoopy33 Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I`m waiting to start 4 weeks of it , had my appointment with radioligist yesterday , now waiting for scan, markings etc . I have had op for breast cancer 3 weeks ago and so glad someone has asked this xx
    Forum Member
    snoopy33 wrote: »
    I`m waiting to start 4 weeks of it , had my appointment with radioligist yesterday , now waiting for scan, markings etc . I have had op for breast cancer 3 weeks ago and so glad someone has asked this xx

Best wishes to you snoopy33 - hope you've recovered well from the op - been there, done that!!!
  • catzooocatzooo Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    This time last year I had radiotherapy, after chemo and mastectomy. I found rads easier than the other treatments. Tiring though, and it builds up as you get towards the end. Have you got somebody to drive you there? Or ask for hospital transport. And slather on aqueous cream after. Best wishes to you
  • Compton_scatterCompton_scatter Posts: 2,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work part time as a band 6 radiotherapist (my username is a radiation related term) so can probably answer most questions hopefully! 25 fractions would be typical for the oesophagus, giving a total dose of 50 gray (gray being the unit of absorbed dose of ionising radiation) which is a radical (as opposed to palliative) dose, so cure is the intent. The reason for the weekends off is it gives the normal cells a chance to recover, although there are what's called hyperfractionated techniques for certain cancers where treatment is 3 times a day for 12 days (called CHART).

Typically, you probably wont have side effects at first but difficulty swallowing (dysphagia), indigestion, erythema (skin reddening), possible nausea, poor appetite and radiation related oesophagitis and tiredness can all occur within 2 weeks and will persist after treatment ends, sometimes for weeks, but everyone reacts differently so you might not have any side effects, but unlikely if I'm being honest. It's important to keep as active as possible as studies have shown this can ward off the tiredness and also maintain a good fluid intake, the treatment itself however is painless. Treatment itself will be quick, the first day usually takes the longest as they double check everything and acquire images etc, but typically you'll be in and out within 15 minutes. You'll also be chatted to before your first treatment where a radiographer will explain everything and answer any questions you might have.

The fact you're having radical radiotherapy means your tumour must be quite small otherwise it wouldn't meet the criteria of radical radiotherapy to the oesophagus. Also, depending on which third of the oesophagus is being treated (for anatomical purposes it's split into three parts), you might have had a mask made to keep your head still (if upper third), or you'll be on what's called a wing board where you hold a handle behind your head and they'll align you using the tattoos you might have had

All our patients who've had chemo and RT reckon RT is a doddle compared to chemo!
  • Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best wishes LCD.
    Forum Member
    Thanks folks. Compton, I'm sending you a PM.
    Forum Member
    snoopy33 wrote: »

Hope it goes well for you snoopy. Got a PET scan sorted, just waiting for 1st appt with radiologist.
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best wishes to everyone!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck everyone.