Do Digital Spy Ban Users If They Find Multiple Usernames With The Same Ip?

ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,694
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As I understand it, if they they find more than one username for an IP, you get banned. Is this true?

If so, then how do they know if it's one person using multiple accounts or a number of members using the same PC?

Comments

• eddieheddieh Posts: 1,611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically if they think it's a same person posting under different usernames, looking at IP is one of the checks they will do to confirm this. If you want more information on this send the mods a message and I'm sure they be happy to help. :)
  • IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    I've always assumed that they could but not that it would be a blanket ban.

If they have a new user registered on the IP of a previously/recently banned user it probably attracts more attention than two rule-abiding posters sharing a PC.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 103
    Forum Member
    I suppose they'd ban someone if they had multiple usernames and they had a pretty good idea it was the same person.

Who knows though. It's not in their interest to ban members. I bet there's 100s of multiple accounts out there, they can't ban them all can they?

As long as the poster isn't doing it for illegal / abusive purposes then I wouldn't see it as anything to worry about really.
  • corsetcorset Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    No idea. If I ran digital spy I'd do my best but with this many members they will never get it right every time.

Mistakes will be made, as with all forums you will see those without intelligence posting something like "they are banned there must be a reason", there must be but it may not be correct.

See the same IP, assume wrongness, it happens.
  • SupportSupport Posts: 70,735
    Administrator
    Hi,

We employ numerous checks in order to find users who may have been previously banned, or hold multiple accounts on the forum.

If you have any questions about our moderation practices, or wish to contest a ban, you are free to do so through our Contact Form.

Regards,
    DS Forum Support.
This discussion has been closed.