Options

Sky Ferreira / Red Lips (Single) + Wild At Heart (Album) thread

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,240
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I haven't seen many (if any) threads for this girl on this forum, but I have been a fan of hers for a couple of years now and she's putting her debut album out later this year.

The video for her first single Red Lips is being released on June 12th (click for preview) followed by her album Wild At Heart later this year.

She's been working with a lot of interesting people on this album such as Shirley Manson(!!), Bloodshy & Avant (Britney) and Greg Kurstin (Lily Allen).

Hoping this thread is at least moderately active :)

Song Links, so far..
- Lost In My Bedroom
- One
- American Dream
- Obsession

Comments

• Options
    Rui_PhillipsRui_Phillips Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heard Obsession in 2010 and thought it was a real good track. Can't believe she is only 19!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know, she seems older. Has a good head on her shoulders.

I too like Obsession, but Sky doesn't seem to. She says her label forced her into releasing it and only now is she getting creative control.
  • Options
    gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    I've been waiting for this for so long, Sky is unbelieveably talented. I just wish she'd kept up the electropop and worked a bit more with B&A.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked her EP As IF. Thought Haters Anonymous and 99 Tears were good. Can't wait to find out what she does with the album.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not to worry Gav, Lost In My Bedroom is going to be on the album and it's very electro.

We should be hearing news about the release date and such soon. She posted on her Tumblr account the other day she was finishing the album in LA this month. It feels like things are finally coming together for her after constant push-backs :)

Edit: Rui, I also loved the As If! EP, but I can't seem to find it anywhere to buy online (I'm in the UK).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I downloaded copy of it on Amazon.co.uk.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AS-IF/dp/B004Q6K9NW
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,219
    Forum Member
    The clip of Red Lips reminds me a bit of Lana del Rey.

I heard some of Sky's older material a while back and wasn't overly impressed. This is more memorable.
  • Options
    GlassBalloonGlassBalloon Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've following Sky since about 2009, this album is a long, long time coming!! I loved her early demos, As If and Lost In My Bedroom but tbh I would have really loved if she had released an album of electropop earlier on before switching sound, that's left me feeling a little disappointed. I'm not sure how I feel about Red Lips so far, will have to listen to the full thing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I downloaded copy of it on Amazon.co.uk.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AS-IF/dp/B004Q6K9NW
    It says "Not Available" next to price :( I might try Ebay to see If I can get a physical.

She uploaded a clip of the Red Lips Demo to her soundcloud today. It really does sound very Garbage-esque, fitting I guess since she co-wrote it with Shirley Manson.

Very excited for the full version tomorrow and glad to see some other Sky fans on here :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She released the music video yesterday for Red Lips. IMO the video is like a poor mans version of Taylor Momsen's band the pretty wreck less. I'm disappointed with were she is going with her career after waiting so long for her to release something. I kinda of liked what she offered with One and Obsession.

"Red Lips" Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOmo5m6I738
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. It's disappointing. The good news is this is just a demo - hopefully the polished version is better.
  • Options
    Gigi4Gigi4 Posts: 3,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know this has been getting some criticism, but I really like the song and video. Yes, the song sounds like Garbage, but that's a good thing for me since I love Garbage. At least, she not doing the standard autotuned electro pop everyone else is doing.
    I haven't really followed her career though. I just really heard of her because of this song and video.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's definitely a decent track that shows she doesn't need auto-tune. I think the criticism is more-so because Sky has built an online fanbase with electro-pop and this is a very different sound.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    I love red lips
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we have some news on this :)

The album name has changed from Wild At Heart to I'm Not Alright. I kind of liked the original title, even if it was a bit of a cliche.

Sky will upload a mixtape to Soundcloud in August. An EP previewing the album (and other songs) will be released in September and the album will follow :)

Very excited! Really liking Red Lips now too. It took me a while to get into it.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't have a clue who Sky is but I heard the amazing Dev Hynes had produced her new single "Everything is Embarrassing" so I had to check it out.
    I love it! The whole 80's pop thing is right up my street.
  • Options
    Alpo.Alpo. Posts: 745
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Don't have a clue who Sky is but I heard the amazing Dev Hynes had produced her new single "Everything is Embarrassing" so I had to check it out.
    I love it! The whole 80's pop thing is right up my street.

every since he moved to NY and became Blood Orange, he can do no real wrong.