John Lydon branded ‘a sexist pig’ .....

Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
Forum Member
....after Australian TV bust-up

"After a benign start in which the punk rocker insisted “I don’t seek trouble”, he turned the audience against him with a series of sexist comments. He called Ms Bickmore “eh missus” and aggressively told her to “shut up”, claiming she had interrupted him. “When a man is talking, do not interrupt,” he said.

The awkward laughter gave way to stunned silence as she protested and Lydon, 57, went on: “Stop it. You sound like one of them dreadful loud birds I don’t like.”

After Lydon was accused of being offensive, he told Bickmore: “So are you when you do that. You have to learn what manners and respect is.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/johnny-rotten-branded-a-sexist-pig-after-australian-tv-bustup-8566919.html

This piece of news doesn't surprise me in the slightest.....he's a pretentious bore.

Comments

• lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He does love himself, doesn't he? Prat.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So much for subverting the established order.
  • CelticMythCelticMyth Posts: 3,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He should stick to flogging butter.
  • Cyril_SneerCyril_Sneer Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was just playing the Rotten character, you can see him smirking - unfortunately they didnt understand or "get it"
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    He has a point although he could have chosen his words more carefully and used non sexist terminology. Debates should not be interrupted until the speaker has finished. Carrie Bickmore should know that and wait like everyone else should.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He was just playing the Rotten character, you can see him smirking - unfortunately they didnt understand or "get it"

Yes, that's obvious, but he didn't know when to stop, did he? If you're going for funny, then you need to do it with some degree of charm. He has none, which is why it backfired, not because they didn't 'get it'.
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Playing a part or not, he was just plain offensive.
  • Cyril_SneerCyril_Sneer Posts: 2,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Yes, that's obvious, but he didn't know when to stop, did he? If you're going for funny, then you need to do it with some degree of charm. He has none, which is why it backfired, not because they didn't 'get it'.

yes he did take it too far. i think they over reacted a bit though at the end.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CelticMyth wrote: »
    He should stick to flogging butter.

To be fair, I always thought he only took that gig so he could say 'c**t' on national TV several times whilst striding around in tweeds.
  • Julie68Julie68 Posts: 3,137
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love John Lydon, He's honest and refreshing... He refuses to conform and become PC so why should he? I respect him for that.
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Those Aussie's are far too PC!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member

Sadly the Rotten character doesnt quite suit a guy in his 50s ... wearing Burton
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Julie68 wrote: »
    I love John Lydon, He's honest and refreshing... He refuses to conform and become PC so why should he? I respect him for that.

So how does advertising butter on TV equate to refusing to conform??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not too fussed about that incident, he's been equally rude to male interviewers.

I liked his comments on Margaret Thatchers death though, he summed up what has made me feel so uneasy about the events after she died http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2307183/Margaret-Thatcher-dead-Sex-Pistol-Johnny-Rotten-says-hate-mobs-loathsome--calls-respect.html?offset=500&max=100#comment-29246937
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    Verence wrote: »

he uses the money he makes from the butter ads to enable him to pay musicians and studio time for touring and releasing albums therefore not conforming to the interference and homogenising of the music industry
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's always contradicting himself and hiding behind 'worthy' jargon. There was no better example than when he was in 'I'm A Celebrity....'. Here, he's on about manners and respect. Does he not realise that this works both ways? Sweet irony.
  • NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, Johnny Rotten... The Peter Andre of Punk.
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jerrica09 wrote: »
    I liked his comments on Margaret Thatchers death though, he summed up what has made me feel so uneasy about the events after she died http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2307183/Margaret-Thatcher-dead-Sex-Pistol-Johnny-Rotten-says-hate-mobs-loathsome--calls-respect.html?offset=500&max=100#comment-29246937

Indeed. I respect and understand constructive criticism. Vandalising property and looting shops has got nothing to do with 'political protest'.

The people out 'celebrating' are only lowering themselves as human beings.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    To paraphrase Bill Bailey "yeah...smash the system.....wanna buy some butter?"
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    he uses the money he makes from the butter ads to enable him to pay musicians and studio time for touring and releasing albums therefore not conforming to the interference and homogenising of the music industry

Yes.

& I'm sure the money doesn't hurt his burgeoning property empire - which is totally anti capitalist of course:eek:;)

The man is the biggest pathetic sell out of all time. A 6 week old puppy is more subversive and anti establishment than him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that was not very nice and he's gone right down in my estimations now.
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »

I'll try again, he got to say his favourite word in full view of national audiences. Think about it...:cool: