Puts it all into perspective really doesn't it..

Diane_RobDiane_Rob Posts: 1,261
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is just a random post I guess but today, the house opposite had a cat, and the cat (a tabby) was run over and killed down our road :(

We've seen the cat on/off for about 5 years and I'm really going to miss seeing her (I think it was a her). Even sadder is the driver that killed the cat sped off and left the cat dying at the side of the road. Luckily a man in the car behind saw and got out and knocked on our door asking if we had a tabby cat and we said no, but we knew someone who did (which was the house opposite). It's really sad.

What I meant by perspective is, we recently got a kitten and she's lovely and so well behaved but in the middle of the night I let her out of her little box thing and she was on my bed, out of the blue she did a great big wee in the middle of the bed! At 4am I can say I was fuming and not best pleased, however when looking out the window at the family opposite taking their poor cat in, I felt so lucky to still have my cats and this little kitty here safe.

I know these things can happen to any pet owner but it does put it into perspective I think.

Comments

• CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diane_Rob wrote: »
    This is just a random post I guess but today, the house opposite had a cat, and the cat (a tabby) was run over and killed down our road :(

We've seen the cat on/off for about 5 years and I'm really going to miss seeing her (I think it was a her). Even sadder is the driver that killed the cat sped off and left the cat dying at the side of the road. Luckily a man in the car behind saw and got out and knocked on our door asking if we had a tabby cat and we said no, but we knew someone who did (which was the house opposite). It's really sad.

What I meant by perspective is, we recently got a kitten and she's lovely and so well behaved but in the middle of the night I let her out of her little box thing and she was on my bed, out of the blue she did a great big wee in the middle of the bed! At 4am I can say I was fuming and not best pleased, however when looking out the window at the family opposite taking their poor cat in, I felt so lucky to still have my cats and this little kitty here safe.

I know these things can happen to any pet owner but it does put it into perspective I think.

:(:(:(

poor cat :cry: poor family :cry:
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    outdoor cats gets run over every day its nothing new i'm afraid
  • dollymariedollymarie Posts: 3,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a cat owner for the first time (they're both nearly 18 months old now) them being run over is my absolute worst fear.

:(
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And one of the main reasons should we ever have a cat again it will be an indoor cat. We don't take these chances with our dogs so cannot for the life of me understand why we allow our cats to be killed in this way.
  • MarellaKMarellaK Posts: 5,783
    Forum Member
    Well, dogs and cats are very different animals and dogs get taken for walks at least twice a day. It's virtually impossible to walk a cat on a leash (and I have tried it when my late Tabitha was recovering from surgery) and I don't like the idea of barricading my pretty garden so the cats can't escape - they dart out the front door as soon as I come in anyway even though they have a cat flap at the back.

I must admit I would never live near a busy road and I am surprised that people living on busy roads decide to have cats and let them outdoors. :confused: I chose my current home knowing it needed to be quiet and safe for my late Tabitha. My next home will be in the countryside in rural Ireland.

There is obviously still a risk, even on quiet roads. My friend's old cat was attacked and killed by a dog. One of my neighbour's cats darted across my empty road early the other morning while I was turning my car - but I saw her in time, a beautiful tortie chasing a little mouse. My late Tabitha also lost her road sense when she was stalking/chasing prey but, luckily, any passing cars slowed down. My childhood cat got killed on a quiet railway track by the one train that went past every day, no doubt she had a mouse in sight between the tracks. My family was hit hard by her loss because we had brought her to live with us from suburban London to our rural farm in Ireland, we were all very attached to her but we still let our subsequent cats have their freedom.

It's always a worry letting cats outside but I suppose parents also worry about their children playing outside. We can't live our lives in fear but we need to take sensible and realistic precautions to minimise risks. In my opinion cats need outdoor access in the same way as we all do. I would go mad with boredom and claustrophobia if I myself was ever cooped up inside, even for a day so I, personally, would never force that on any living creature. Luckily, we live in a society where we can make those decisions and where everybody is entitled to have an opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never said they were the same but what they are both is pets who we have a responsibility towards if we chose to own them.
  • MadMoo40MadMoo40 Posts: 1,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    And one of the main reasons should we ever have a cat again it will be an indoor cat. We don't take these chances with our dogs so cannot for the life of me understand why we allow our cats to be killed in this way.

I have had a few cats run over, over the years. They should be safe, as I live in a quiet,rural village on a 30 mph road, near a primary school, with electronic signs up, which flash "30mph" if divers are speeding. But sadly, drivers ignore all that - even knowing there are young children around.

However, when I got a couple of kittens a few years ago, after having one of mine killed by a car, I decided they would be indoor cats.

But, they weren't happy. They sat at the windows crying and scratching to get out. They destroyed the house, ripping wall paper and pulling up carpets through frustration and boredom. They would run to the front door every time it opened, trying to get out.

In the end, I realised i was being cruel confining them in that way. So I let them out, reluctantly. One was run over within a couple of months, and the other was hit by a car a few months later. Luckily he survived after £750 of surgery for a broken knee.

I still have him, and he still goes out. I have another cat to keep him company, who also goes out.

I do worry every time I let them out, but I think, at the end of the day, its quality of life, not quantity of life that counts. They are happy cats, one is an avid hunter of mice and brings loads home. They want to be outside,and enjoy roaming around the area - especially in all the fields behind the house.

I'd rather know my cats had a good, albeit short, life, than a long one, full of frustrations, being unable to fulfil their natural desires like hunting and roaming.

Its not an easy decision, but I would say if anyone wants an indoor cat, don't get a moggy - get a pedigree.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    What makes my blood boil is that most drivers do not stop when they run a cat over. They seem to treat them as vermin :mad:

When I had cat's thankfully none ever got run over but one was shot with an air rifle :mad: He had the lead shots in him till he died of old age as the vet said they were best left in :(

If I ever had a cat again it would be an indoor cat.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,542
    Forum Member
    MadMoo40 wrote: »
    Its not an easy decision, but I would say if anyone wants an indoor cat, don't get a moggy - get a pedigree.

I have to disagree. I have a friend who has a 'moggy' and he has been an indoor cat who is now 17 years old. I think it just depend on the cat.
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    I have to disagree. I have a friend who has a 'moggy' and he has been an indoor cat who is now 17 years old. I think it just depend on the cat.

I agree plenty of moggies would be fine being indoor cats and some pedigrees would go blooming mental but most owners would still choose to keep them in.

We had loads of cats run over as I was growing up and after I lost my last cat for days here and there worrying all the time I swore if I had another cat it would be an indoor one, though I have barricaded my beautiful garden, oh no! I only cat proofed it.
    Forum Member
    What makes my blood boil is that most drivers do not stop when they run a cat over. They seem to treat them as vermin :mad:

When I had cat's thankfully none ever got run over but one was shot with an air rifle :mad: He had the lead shots in him till he died of old age as the vet said they were best left in :(

Well legally they don't have to stop, most drivers I think are pretty decent and would try to help or look for an owner. I can totally understand people considering them vermin, I am not impressed with neighbours cats shitting in my front garden for me to pick up or my kids to find
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I know what you mean about drivers but sometimes what do you expect them to do ? most cats have no identification and going door to door with a dead or dying cat is not something many people would wish to do.

We saw a cat run down by a car ahead of us we picked it up and ended up sat in the local vets for a hour, missed what we had gone out to do and quite honestly when the vet informed the owner we wondered why we had bothered as they couldn't possibly come to the surgery until the next day and I have a feeling they had no intention of paying either.

Wouldn't bother again, although we would seek help for the cat obviously just drop it off and run.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    I know what you mean about drivers but sometimes what do you expect them to do ? most cats have no identification and going door to door with a dead or dying cat is not something many people would wish to do.

We saw a cat run down by a car ahead of us we picked it up and ended up sat in the local vets for a hour, missed what we had gone out to do and quite honestly when the vet informed the owner we wondered why we had bothered as they couldn't possibly come to the surgery until the next day and I have a feeling they had no intention of paying either.

Wouldn't bother again, although we would seek help for the cat obviously just drop it off and run.

Our cat's life was saved by a young couple who were driving behind some boy racers. saw them run over my cat and not stop, and rushed her to the RSPCA. She is three legged but lived to tell the tale. She had been wearing a collar with ID in, but it was one of them little barrel thigns and the barrel came unscrewed.

We still have our cat 18 years on, thanks to those lovely people who, like you, molliepops, stopped to help.