Pup eating his own poop

robwillsmithrobwillsmith Posts: 159
Forum Member
Can anyone help.

I have a 12 week old Labrador and he has started to eat his own poop.
He only does it when left alone during the day.
He has plenty of food. Only left alone for a few hours.

Help. lol

Comments

• AbsolutelyAbsolutely Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its quite normal for dogs to want to eat poo, I believe the mother of puppies does that too, she cleans up after her brood. It will be ok once you have house trained it and then you pick up and say and firm NO if you see him wanting to eat it.
  • robwillsmithrobwillsmith Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    He don't do it when he poos in the garden or on walks. Just when he is left alone. Even in the morning there is a poo on the pad. Strange boy. Lol.
  • AbsolutelyAbsolutely Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He wants to clean up for you. lol
  • BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was looking forward to my tea.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Feed him pineapple.
  • LyceumLyceum Posts: 3,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My dog did exactly the same at that age. Have a google. There's a plethora of reasons why dogs eat crap.

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/az/c/coprophagia/#.VBG82Xa9LYU
  • lemonbunlemonbun Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    He don't do it when he poos in the garden or on walks. Just when he is left alone. Even in the morning there is a poo on the pad. Strange boy. Lol.

How many hours is he being left alone?
    Forum Member
    Thanks everyone. Will try pineapple.
    He is left alone for no more than 5 hours.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone. Will try pineapple.
    He is left alone for no more than 5 hours.

5 hours is far too long to leave a 3 month old lab puppy for. Is there no way you can shorten this?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Feed him more so he doesn't have to eat his own waste. A growing puppy needs a healthy and diverse diet. He doesn't want to eat his own waste, you are forcing him to by not providing enough food. Give him a full bowl or dry food and 3 sachets of wet food daily.

Honestly, any animal will eat all it has if that's what it is forced to do. Treat your pet better, don't make it eat it's own feces because you can't afford to feed it or take care of it properly. It's cruel and selfish.
    Forum Member
    Feed him more so he doesn't have to eat his own waste. A growing puppy needs a healthy and diverse diet. He doesn't want to eat his own waste, you are forcing him to by not providing enough food. Give him a full bowl or dry food and 3 sachets of wet food daily.

Honestly, any animal will eat all it has if that's what it is forced to do. Treat your pet better, don't make it eat it's own feces because you can't afford to feed it or take care of it properly. It's cruel and selfish.

When did I say what I feed him!
    I feed him more than enough thanks and I can afford to feed him.

GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT BEFORE COMMENTING YOU ****!!!!
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Unwarranted, judgemental, opinionated and largely false posting.
    Have you actually read this
    Lyceum wrote: »
    My dog did exactly the same at that age. Have a google. There's a plethora of reasons why dogs eat crap.

http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/az/c/coprophagia/#.VBG82Xa9LYU

My well cared for,well fed Westies (older dogs)are not adverse to eating horse dung or swan poo if they get the chance and I don't stop them in time (or rolling in it!!)
    orangebird wrote: »
    5 hours is far too long to leave a 3 month old lab puppy for. Is there no way you can shorten this?

I agree 5 hours is much too long to leave the puppy and this is when boredom sets in which could be a part of the cause of the problem
    Forum Member

Wish there was. The trouble is mine and my partners shifts clash by 5 hours. We take him for long walks/runs before we go work and put food down for him. He has a kong which we fill with food and it keeps him busy.

I brought some tablets which hopefully will stop him eating it. Failing that we will try pineapple.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wish there was. The trouble is mine and my partners shifts clash by 5 hours. We take him for long walks/runs before we go work and put food down for him. He has a kong which we fill with food and it keeps him busy.

I brought some tablets which hopefully will stop him eating it. Failing that we will try pineapple.

A little off-topic but....
    How long/far is a 'log walk/run'? Have you read this from http://www.thelabradorsite.com/labrador-puppy-exercise-how-much-is-too-much/

"How much exercise should your puppy have each day?

Many breeders suggest the ‘five minute rule’ This rule says that a puppy should have no more than five minutes ‘organised’ exercise per day for every month of his age. So that would be fifteen minutes a day for a three month old puppy, twenty minutes for a four month old and so on. Organised exercise means exercise that you are controlling or arranging such as ‘walks’ or ‘training sessions’."

Although opinions will vary greatly.
    Forum Member
    That's about right then. Usually it's about 10/15 mins a day.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main difficulty here is the length of time a 12 week old puppy is being left alone.
    At that age they need to relieve themselves every 2 to 3 hours - especially after having been fed.
    It can be 6 to 9 months before full bladder/bowel control is achieved

Exactly why the poo is being eaten could be down to several reasons including boredom or not wishing to be scolded (I'm not saying that has happened)

Could arrangement be made, perhaps, for someone to look in during the 5 hour period he's left alone?

BTW - what are these tablets that you've bought?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not about exercise, it's about boredom! Seriously, OP, I'm sure you love your puppy, but I find you incredibly selfish. You got a puppy because you wanted one, regardless of the fact that you don't have time for one. Did you consider getting an older dog that could be left for longer? Over exercising a puppy can be detrimental to its physical health - an extra long walk does not make up for 5 hours of solitary, nor is it physically good for a young puppy. Although, IMO, 5 hours is way too long for any dog. And before anyone starts with the 'oh, but he loves his crate/just goes to sleep/doesn't seem to mind' etc... Just don't.
    Forum Member
    It's not about exercise, it's about boredom! Seriously, OP, I'm sure you love your puppy, but I find you incredibly selfish. You got a puppy because you wanted one, regardless of the fact that you don't have time for one. Did you consider getting an older dog that could be left for longer? Over exercising a puppy can be detrimental to its physical health - an extra long walk does not make up for 5 hours of solitary, nor is it physically good for a young puppy. Although, IMO, 5 hours is way too long for any dog. And before anyone starts with the 'oh, but he loves his crate/just goes to sleep/doesn't seem to mind' etc... Just don't.

Here we go. Another one that thinks dogs can't be left alone. Bla bla bla. Do one.

Nothing wrong with leaving a dog alone. It's not like we leave it all day/night.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go. Another one that thinks dogs can't be left alone. Bla bla bla. Do one.

Nothing wrong with leaving a dog alone. It's not like we leave it all day/night.

Here we go. Another one who thinks they know better than vets, behaviourists etc who recommend not routinely leaving a dog alone, any dog for more than four hours.

Despite the fact the likes of dogs trust, batersea etc will point blank refuse anyone who wants to rescue a dog if they work full time or if the dog will be left alone for more than 4 hours regularly. Obviously that's just a made up number and not based on studies and behaviour etc.

I wish you would contact the experts with your knowledge because the people who claim to be in the know about these things. Those with clearly worthless degrees and years and years of experience etc. They're all under some ridiculous impression that leaving dogs alone for extended periods of time isn't a great option. But you've so eloquently proven them wrong here. And don't come across as an idiot at all. And your dog isn't showing signs of boredom and eating his own crap or anything. So you've clearly got it right.
    Forum Member
    Don't think I'm gonna comment on here anymore cos I will say something I will regret.

All I will say is my pup is loved and cared for fine thanks.

Bye you wan**rs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think I'm gonna comment on here anymore cos I will say something I will regret.

Bye you wan**rs.

Your maturity is to be commended.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bye you wan**rs.

Yep, just fine, eating its own shit out of boredom. bye. Tw4t.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bye you wan**rs.

Advice has been offered, the possible reasons for the behaviour given and suggestions as to the solution which you choose to ignore.
    It appears that you only want to hear what suits you and instead give the puppy some unknown tablets (with unknown effects) in the hope that everything will be fine - a foolish, selfish attitude demonstrating little understanding of canine, especially puppy, needs and behaviour.
  • radcliffe95radcliffe95 Posts: 4,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't generalise, it makes you look foolish. Every dog/situation is different, some dogs can acclimatise to being left alone for long periods of time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And we still don't know what the wonderful 'anti-poo eating' tablets are