Liverpool Supporters Thread (Part 20)

Comments

• TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chelsea came to defend as a team and hurt us on the break as per Mourinho's standard approach to such games. They did the first part well but we ensured they couldn't achieve the second part - apart from one incident when Moreno was back on his own, we recovered our shaped extremely well and stoppped them from playing out quickly which was their intention when we lost possession. Both teams deserve credit.

Chelsea will probably drop one of the DM's at home and add Oscar to the mix. We should pretty much stay as we were but ration our attacking intent. If we can hold them at 0-0, 0-1 or 1-1 until late in the game, they will become far more nervous/cautious and it'll then settle down into a late evening game of chess. What we don't want to do is to pour forward and get a couple of goals behind, as Chelsea do defending a lead very well indeed normally - they won't, however, start the game looking for 0-0 so the first half is probably key in us quieting the crowd and trying to quash any momentum - keeping the ball well and picking our moments to spring is what's needed - much like Arsenal's unexpected defensive restraint at City last week.

Yes, Lucas was immense - he didn't concede any cheap free kicks around our box either - and this was one area where Chelsea could have taken advantage. The fouls they induced were mostly in safe areas apart from the obvious exception. Gerrard ran himself to a standstill and Sterling was more decisive and direct than usual. I suspect BR wanted a high tempo and direct running to stop Chelsea settling into their usual defensive shape thereby allowing us to get at Terry and Cahill more. It only partially worked but we never let up.

Can't wait to see Sturridge in this shape - but who'll miss out? Markovic most likely and it'll keep Coutinho on his toes too as he tends to have quiet spells. I want the Lucas/Henderson axis to stay for now, at least while Can is deployed further back. Gerrard won't play every game but is best used where he played last night. Add Lallana to that and we'll have a strong set of options.
  • MalbrenMalbren Posts: 3,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a great team performance last night, deserved the win and were close to getting it with Gerrards hitting of the post with Courtouis stranded and then the very good saves their keeper made. So delighted with performance, a little sad at not beating them!

I was more disappointed with Can letting Fabregas get past him by the byline than "fouling" Hazard, but that apart I thought he did well. Happily he wont come up against the Fabregas's. Hazard's every week! The whole team did very very well, but for me, special mentions to Lucas who was outstanding again, and Coutinho who was always looking to make something happen.

I'd be so happy if we could pull off the win at SB, we've done it before so who knows.
  • misawa97misawa97 Posts: 11,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sakho gives me jokes. There was as an incident in the 1st half where he semingly looked in a bit of trouble, shut down by an opposition attacker with his forward passing options closed off. He simply rolled the ball back and backheeled it to Lucas I think enabling us to keep the ball. Such a joy to watch having defenders like that.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    misawa97 wrote: »
    Sakho gives me jokes. There was as an incident in the 1st half where he semingly looked in a bit of trouble, shut down by an opposition attacker with his forward passing options closed off. He simply rolled the ball back and backheeled it to Lucas I think enabling us to keep the ball. Such a joy to watch having defenders like that.

He's so confident. I love him. He's got a gangly frame and as a result isn't the most graceful of footballers, but he's our best centre back for me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    He's so confident. I love him. He's got a gangly frame and as a result isn't the most graceful of footballers, but he's our best centre back for me.

I had a huge debate at my barber shop last night about Sakho. The amount of people that think his technically poor is crazy. His technique is very good and his got a very good weight of pass.

I was actually surprised last night that neither commentator claimed there was ‘always a mistake in him’.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a huge debate at my barber shop last night about Sakho. The amount of people that think his technically poor is crazy. His technique is very good and his got a very good weight of pass.

I was actually surprised last night that neither commentator claimed there was ‘always a mistake in him’.

Yeah, Sakho falls into the same category as Lucas and Henderson in that neutral fans and pundits don't seem to appreciate his talents. He's been absolutely immense since he came back into the team a couple of months ago, and is easily our best defender.
  • OrchideamOrchideam Posts: 5,479
    Forum Member
    I think Sakho is right up there as one of our best players every time he plays. He just gets on with the job in hand quietly and efficiently - almost unseen and un-noticed. I really love the guy and hope he keeps himself fit and well, we need him more than many know.

The team as a whole now is playing a hell of a lot better, but we desperately need a hot replacement for the Gerrard style free kicks. We don't have anyone like him for those - hope he can instil his gift into AN Other player before he leaves!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Sakho too but as he takes risks in dangerous areas, there WILL come a day when he makes a costly mistake. That's 3 backheels near his own box so far this season LOL - so while I don't agree with the "he's no good on the ball" nonsense, I will agree with those who get nervous when he's put under pressure. His confidence and technique will save his bacon more often than not but I ban imagine the quick he'll get if the next bit of audacity goes awry. That moment he ducked under the ball could've ended in disaster too as I don't think anyone was expecting it.

On balance, though, he's been very solid - and up to now that's what matters. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Two goals forTeixeira for Brighton so far tonight. He's not doing bad down there.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    Two goals for Teixeira for Brighton so far tonight. He's not doing bad down there.

Teixeira has undeniable quality, he just needs to show it often enough to catch Rodgers eye. I'd like to see him get a chance in pre-season.

and the U18s won 5-2 in the Youth FA Cup against Derby County.
    Forum Member
    TheSloth wrote: »
    I love Sakho too but as he takes risks in dangerous areas, there WILL come a day when he makes a costly mistake. That's 3 backheels near his own box so far this season LOL - so while I don't agree with the "he's no good on the ball" nonsense, I will agree with those who get nervous when he's put under pressure. His confidence and technique will save his bacon more often than not but I ban imagine the quick he'll get if the next bit of audacity goes awry. That moment he ducked under the ball could've ended in disaster too as I don't think anyone was expecting it.

On balance, though, he's been very solid - and up to now that's what matters. :D

Oh he'll get ripped to shreds when he makes a mistake, which he will eventually, because he's not perfect.

Kompany made a very costly mistake the other day against Arsenal, cynically bringing down Monreal in the box, but he continues to get all the love. His mistakes tend to get glossed over or passed on to the defender he's paired with.

Can messed up last night and suddenly Carragher and Poyet were saying he can't defend. I think his biggest mistake was not bringing Cesc down once he'd got by him. A bit of inexperience perhaps. It's what most experienced defenders would have done in that situation I think, like when Sterling got on the inside of Cahill and was about to get into the box. Cahill brought him down (but didn't even receive a yellow).
    Forum Member
    Parthenon wrote: »
    Oh he'll get ripped to shreds when he makes a mistake, which he will eventually, because he's not perfect.

Kompany made a very costly mistake the other day against Arsenal, cynically bringing down Monreal in the box, but he continues to get all the love. His mistakes tend to get glossed over or passed on to the defender he's paired with.

Can messed up last night and suddenly Carragher and Poyet were saying he can't defend. I think his biggest mistake was not bringing Cesc down once he'd got by him. A bit of inexperience perhaps. It's what most experienced defenders would have done in that situation I think, like when Sterling got on the inside of Cahill and was about to get into the box. Cahill brought him down (but didn't even receive a yellow).

And that - bib - is about the only time many people actually notice him sadly. I watch for him, his positioning, his movement, his passing, his tackles - most are pretty spot on, he is for sure our best defensive buy for a long while.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That moment he ducked under the ball could've ended in disaster too as I don't think anyone was expecting it.

I think Hazard was cheeky then giving a shout.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Hazard was cheeky then giving a shout.

I see - that's what stopped him Edin the ball away then... I wonder lf Hazard will call one of his sons Walter...
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    So anyone believe the story about Falcao turned us down for Utd. New story says FSG agreed to pay £12m season loan deal.
  • alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    I disagree with some of the comments made about Sakho - back heeling the ball near your own box as a defender is never a good idea. It comes in the same category as passing the ball across your own box - something you should never ever do. Yes you may claim that it has not cost a goal so it is OK but to me it is only a matter of time before it does. I do not see the best defenders in the PL like Terry and Kompany doing it and there's a reason for that. Its irresponsible and could cost your team a goal. As a defender you should play the percentages, attackers on the other hand when in the other area can try the fancy stuff as if it does not work it matters far less. Why some of you seem almost amused by it or applauding it I have no idea - personally I think it is totally inappropriate, show boating like this is not what defenders do - can you imagine what Hansen would say about it and I'd 100% agree with him.

Having said that I have been happier with his recent performances and he is definitely worthy of his place, the defence looks generally better now - and he is perhaps the best current performer. Yes maybe at times back heeling or similar could be the only way out of a tricky situation but I do not think that has been the case when he has done it. For me he'd go up even more in my eyes if he cut this fancy stuff out and just concentrated simply on defending.

I thought cos he had not done it for 3 or 4 games he must have been told not to by our (non existent) defensive coach but no he did it again the other day so it seems like it is part of the way he thinks (sadly).
  • alancrackeralancracker Posts: 5,280
    Forum Member
    I know he is not our player any more but when I watch Suarez at Barca as I have done a few times recently (including in the flesh V Atletico in the league 11 days ago) I think he is nowhere near as good as he was for us. Last season I genuinely felt he was the 3rd best player in the world but never in a million years now. His control seems poor and even his finishing is off too. He also does not seem to be working as hard off the ball as he did for us and of course with Messi and Neymar there he gets nowhere near free kicks. Also for LFC in 2013/14 he was almost perfect behaviour wise resulting in him winning both the player of the year awards in Britain but as his form dips I feel his behaviour is dipping too. Last night his diving was a bit embarrassing tbh and he was far more in the refs face as things were not going the way of his team. BR and LFC I felt had largely got that out of his game last season, it is now returning for sure.

I feel he is being used wrongly by Barca tbh as he is almost exclusively up front in the middle with Messi and Neymar largely in wide positions. It is as if he is seen by them as 'just' a striker whereas we as LFC fans know he has far more to contribute than that. The problem is with Messi in the team he is never going to have the number 10 role which suits him most so whether they will ever see him at his best who knows.

I have recently read his book - 270 pages but I read it in a day!! - it is easy to read - and find him a fascinating person - and yes he remains one of my fav players and always will be - the thing which would put that in danger would be if he came back to the PL and joined one of our rivals - that would certainly be hard to take but I doubt it will happen he said crossing his fingers. Lol.
    Forum Member
    I know he is not our player any more but when I watch Suarez at Barca as I have done a few times recently (including in the flesh V Atletico in the league 11 days ago) I think he is nowhere near as good as he was for us. Last season I genuinely felt he was the 3rd best player in the world but never in a million years now. His control seems poor and even his finishing is off too. He also does not seem to be working as hard off the ball as he did for us and of course with Messi and Neymar there he gets nowhere near free kicks. Also for LFC in 2013/14 he was almost perfect behaviour wise resulting in him winning both the player of the year awards in Britain but as his form dips I feel his behaviour is dipping too. Last night his diving was a bit embarrassing tbh and he was far more in the refs face as things were not going the way of his team. BR and LFC I felt had largely got that out of his game last season, it is now returning for sure.

I feel he is being used wrongly by Barca tbh as he is almost exclusively up front in the middle with Messi and Neymar largely in wide positions. It is as if he is seen by them as 'just' a striker whereas we as LFC fans know he has far more to contribute than that. The problem is with Messi in the team he is never going to have the number 10 role which suits him most so whether they will ever see him at his best who knows.

I have recently read his book - 270 pages but I read it in a day!! - it is easy to read - and find him a fascinating person - and yes he remains one of my fav players and always will be - the thing which would put that in danger would be if he came back to the PL and joined one of our rivals - that would certainly be hard to take but I doubt it will happen he said crossing his fingers. Lol.

Owen, Torres and now Suarez - all finding the grass isn't always greener on the 'other' side. Hope other LFC stars take note!
    Forum Member
    I said as soon as Suarez left that I thought he would struggle due to having to play second fiddle to Messi, but the question isn't so much one of his position at Barcelona. It's actually pretty impressive that he's forced Messi out to the right, as that's not where Messi wants to be. However, he's facing the same problem Ibrahimovic did when he went there (and perhaps the thing that held Sanchez back slightly) - he just doesn't get enough of the ball to get many goals. Last season with us, if Suarez was on the pitch, the ball went to him. At Barcelona, it goes to Messi or (occasionally) Neymar. That won't change unless Messi leaves.

Speaking of Neymar, he struggled with this in his first season but now he has settled and is playing much better. I think Suarez will improve and possibly achieve a 1 in 2 goal ratio but I can't see him getting the sort of numbers we saw from him.

Onto the transfer window, I wonder if it'd be worth putting in a bid for Schurrle if Chelsea opt to sign another winger (Cuadrado?). I doubt he'd cost the earth and he's a pacey, direct young player who knows where the goal is.
  • kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    Gotta remember that Brendan Rodgers built a team and system that got the very best from Luis Suarez. Think some journalists and fans are being kinda harsh on him at barca. Must remember he had no pre season and it takes time to settle in at a new club.

Difference between him and ibra is that ibra didn't want to the hard work that pep required his players to do. Ibra wouldn't press and he just couldn't adapt to the barca way on and off the pitch.

Will Suarez reach the heights he did at Liverpool? no I doubt it unless barca get Brendan Rodgers in as manager. What people should see now is that Luis came a much better player after Rodgers was giving the job.

There are them silly fans who think BR was lucky that Suarez was already at the club and fail to see just how much Luis improved as a player under Rodgers.
  • Draca_NoirDraca_Noir Posts: 1,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With regards to Suarez at Barca, if the front 3 do manage to click, a bit like the front 3 at Real then they will be unstoppable. He just needs a bit of time to gel with the team. Neymar's first season wasn't brilliant but he's been very good this year.

Also, agree that Ibra flopped at Barca because he was too lazy for Pep's team, not because he had to play second fiddle to Messi.
  • Draca_NoirDraca_Noir Posts: 1,348
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orchideam wrote: »
    Owen, Torres and now Suarez - all finding the grass isn't always greener on the 'other' side. Hope other LFC stars take note!

Maybe striker wise, but Mascherano and Alonso both have gone on to have better careers post Anfield.
  • Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The latest Football Rich List made interesting reading. We maintained our 9th place and had a healthy increase in revenues but all of those above us had even bigger increases, opening the gap further. Arsenal have gone from $40m to over $60m higher revenues than ourselves. I don't think the latest figures included our CL revenues yet so that should help close the gap a bit next time. I saw somewhere that the expanded stadium should increase match-day revenues by £25m (about $40m) . If we managed a prolonged run in the CL we would have a fighting chance of over-taking Arsenal in terms of revenues.

All 20 PL teams are now in the top 40 and with another hefty increase coming soon from the next round of domestic TV rights the English clubs should all move upwards. I'd expect to see Utd overtake Madrid in a couple of years and City & Chelsea move above Bayern, Barca & PSG. Even with CL money and an expanded stadium it's going to very difficult to challenge any of those clubs financially.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Suarez has only been playing since October and his performances have been good. People are really writing him off already. Laughable!!!
    The latest Football Rich List made interesting reading. We maintained our 9th place and had a healthy increase in revenues but all of those above us had even bigger increases, opening the gap further. Arsenal have gone from $40m to over $60m higher revenues than ourselves. I don't think the latest figures included our CL revenues yet so that should help close the gap a bit next time. I saw somewhere that the expanded stadium should increase match-day revenues by £25m (about $40m) . If we managed a prolonged run in the CL we would have a fighting chance of over-taking Arsenal in terms of revenues.

All 20 PL teams are now in the top 40 and with another hefty increase coming soon from the next round of domestic TV rights the English clubs should all move upwards. I'd expect to see Utd overtake Madrid in a couple of years and City & Chelsea move above Bayern, Barca & PSG. Even with CL money and an expanded stadium it's going to very difficult to challenge any of those clubs financially.

It still wont stop fans thinking we should be matching the likes of Utd in the transfer market.
This discussion has been closed.