Oasis vs The Beatles vs Michael Jackson vs Elvis

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    harveybest wrote: »
    Spot on fella.

oh shut up, the whole Beatles thing is so overblown, Oasis were a great band, obviously not as big as The Beatles but when you think 90s bands most people will immediatly think of them.

And so what if the took inspiration from The Beatles, they are the best band who will ever roam this Earth. And surely it should be what you sound like, not who you sound like and i think they sound bloody brilliant, listen to Definitely Maybe if you dont believe me, rant over.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    masterquan wrote: »
    Elvis is the best? Why because he's white? Came in the 50's? Care to name a song he wrote or any great album?
    What seperates him apart from 'influence' from all the modern day singers who are criticized they're not artists because they don't write their songs

And don't resurrect dead threads

no, because like him or not, elvis is cited by all the greats, musicians and critics alike, that he was possibly the most influencial artist of all time. probably because he was there at the beginning (right place, right time).

i do agree though that artists who dont compose are often ridiculed for it and to my knowlege elvis didnt write a note... maybe it is time to re-appraise his true talent.

fully agree with your last point, why ressurect and old hread... someone must have scrolled through pages to find it..
  • GneissGneiss Posts: 14,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i do agree though that artists who dont compose are often ridiculed for it and to my knowlege elvis didnt write a note... maybe it is time to re-appraise his true talent.
    No they had song writers to write something actually worth listening to instead of self indulgent repetitive cack that mostly dominates music today...

The truth is that most these so called "artists" who claim to write their own stuff should never put pen to paper in the first place because they have the imagination of a carrier bag!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oh shut up, the whole Beatles thing is so overblown, Oasis were a great band, obviously not as big as The Beatles but when you think 90s bands most people will immediatly think of them.

And so what if the took inspiration from The Beatles, they are the best band who will ever roam this Earth. And surely it should be what you sound like, not who you sound like and i think they sound bloody brilliant, listen to Definitely Maybe if you dont believe me, rant over.

Don't get me wrong. I agree Definitely Maybe is a great album, and most of What's The Story.

But after that it just went way too far The Beatles way for me. The rant was OK by the way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gneiss wrote: »
    No they had song writers to write something actually worth listening to instead of self indulgent repetitive cack that mostly dominates music today...

The truth is that most these so called "artists" who claim to write their own stuff should never put pen to paper in the first place because they have the imagination of a carrier bag!

the topic isnt about comparing these artists with todays music... we were here talking about elvis's validity as an all time great, particularly the fact that he didnt write anything. i dont for one second think that some of elvis's material is that superior to some of todays 'cack'...
  • Adam FirstAdam First Posts: 189
    Forum Member
    Oasis and Mj hands down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michael Jackson is the most influential and most popular worldwide. I grew up in Nigeria, out of all four artists, I only knew Michael Jackson. Elvis is popular with older people, Oasis are popular with indie fans, Beatles are very popular however they don't transcend generations like Michael Jackson.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Michael Jackson is the most influential and most popular worldwide. I grew up in Nigeria, out of all four artists, I only knew Michael Jackson. Elvis is popular with older people, Oasis are popular with indie fans, Beatles are very popular however they don't transcend generations like Michael Jackson.

Seriously?
  • SpaceToiletsSpaceToilets Posts: 3,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oasis shouldn't even be on this list.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elvis was undoubtedly a major influence on the Beatles, who in turn influenced several generation of other acts, including Oasis.

However, when it come to today's music I think the most influential of the four is Michael Jackson, which probably explains why much of today's music is such sh1t.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Elvis was undoubtedly a major influence on the Beatles, who in turn influenced several generation of other acts, including Oasis.

However, when it come to today's music I think the most influential of the four is Michael Jackson, which probably explains why much of today's music is such sh1t.

:D:D:D
  • scrillascrilla Posts: 2,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James Brown
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think MJ is even that influential in terms of music, that should probably be credited to Quincy Jones. For dance & music videos then maybe MJ is influential, and sorry for the people of Nigeria who had to grow up with MJ, I know Nigeria has it problems but didn't realise they had it that bad :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    Seriously?

to be fair, he grew up in nigeria... so from that perspective we cant really comment. what it does prove though is jackos marketing men who sold the product worldwide 20 or more years after the beatles had split, did a good job. (from a business pov).
    scrilla wrote: »
    James Brown

exactly.... jb was the real pioneer in both performance and song choices. thered be no mj without jb.
  • Bandit06Bandit06 Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Oasis shouldn't even be on this list.

Got to say I agree.

I think many people think of Elvis & think of him in the 70's - when really he was a shadow of his former self, when really his impact in the 50's early 60's was pretty huge. He did however not write many songs, unlike Micheal Jackson.
    The Beatles were the 1D of their generation, but I suspect they will still be remembered after 1D have gone....and Sgt Pepper was ground breaking stuff at the time in terms of recording techniques. They wrote thier own songs, influenced many artists since.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Beatles' songs are so incredibly diverse as to be an embarrassment of riches, with clever structure and revolutionary lyrics. Admittedly, they produced a few stinkers, but this goes hand-in-hand with taking risks. Their biggest mistake was feeling that they had to be nice to Ringo, so that nearly every album they produced would have been even better if they'd omitted his fake country & western, foghorn bellowing.

Elvis is all about his early period. You need to see the TV special he produced when he was still wearing leathers to appreciate how good he was. It's a shame that he ruined everything by living long enough to become a sweaty, bloated cabaret singer in clowns' outfits.

Michael Jackson was merely a freak with a squeaky voice who is known more for his bizarre appearance, setting his hair on fire, dangling a baby out of a window and his ability to make it look as if he was dancing on ice. Most of his songs owed more to the producer than his own writing talent, although The Beatles also benefited in that respect.

Oasis have to be discounted purely because of their puerile, nursery rhyme lyrics Wonderwall (with the title ripped off from an obscure George Harrison solo project) was just an embarrassment. Live Forever was quite stirring, but most of their popular songs were really just highly mannered vocals backed by a mighty slab of a guitar sound. They were popular because they provided music for football crowds; not because they were original or inventive. Most of the acoustic numbers were quite appalling.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Beatles were great songwriters and performers. The others could put on a good show with songs of variable quality.
  • jake_moore08jake_moore08 Posts: 256
    Forum Member
    For me, personally:

Oasis
    Michael Jackson
    The Beatles
    Elvis Presley
  • SoupietwistSoupietwist Posts: 1,314
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you wanted to include a 90's act then you could have at least included a act that actually had a cultural impact - so Nirvana instead of Oasis.

But to be honest the poll itself seems abit random.
  • djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MJ
    Elvis
    Oasis

The Beatles (slightly better than 1D but don't rate them)
  • RijowhiRijowhi Posts: 1,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Beatles - Michael Jackson - Elvis Presley (all on the same level with MJ being my favourite artist of all time. Considering his many achievements, he is underrated compared to the two other acts in my opinion.). There are probably a handful of true legends who also belong on this list too.

Then a long way back would be Oasis, though I do like them too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bandit06 wrote: »
    The Beatles were the 1D of their generation, but I suspect they will still be remembered after 1D have gone....and Sgt Pepper was ground breaking stuff at the time in terms of recording techniques. They wrote thier own songs, influenced many artists since.

lol.. yeah right. when 1d compose their own groundbreaking tracks, play their own instruments, and influence not only their generation but subsequent ones... come back with that comparison! :D

ps...revolver was more ground breaking then sgt pepper, but sgt pepper is seen as their peak.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    The Beatles (slightly better than 1D but don't rate them)
    :D

In Paul McCartney, The Beatles had one of the most original, accomplished and influential bass players in the business.

All were accomplished musicians by the time they had their first hits and they played live on stage without any backing musicians.

By the time they got to their third album, they also wrote all their own songs – something that was unheard of at the time.

Many of their songs broke all song-writing conventions, using arrangements that were often ground-breaking.

One Direction don't write their own material and can't perform without the support of backing musicians.

Instruments played: Niall Horan can play the guitar; Liam Payne can play a little bit of guitar and a little bit of piano; Harry Styles can play the kazoo; Zayne Malik can play the triangle, & Louis Tomlinson can play "a bit of the piano".

Here's a great example of George Harrison's chiming guitar sound and also some great drumming. Until I looked up the clip, I didn't realise that McCartney wasn't even on it. She said, she said www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsIYi9scrvg

Here's a brilliant example of great lyrics, superb bass playing and what was probably Ringo's finest moment. Rain www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrL-bYpY9Cc
  • Bandit06Bandit06 Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    lol.. yeah right. when 1d compose their own groundbreaking tracks, play their own instruments, and influence not only their generation but subsequent ones... come back with that comparison! :D

ps...revolver was more ground breaking then sgt pepper, but sgt pepper is seen as their peak.

Sorry Mushy, was not indicating that 1D are as good as the Beatles, although my comment may look like that in hindsight 😳. I was drawing a comparison between them both causing fan hysteria & worldwide phenomenons. that is where the comparison stops, as you say the Beatles were great musicians, song writers and influenced many since. I cannot see many people remembering who 1D are in 50 years time
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bandit06 wrote: »
    Sorry Mushy, was not indicating that 1D are as good as the Beatles, although my comment may look like that in hindsight 😳. I was drawing a comparison between them both causing fan hysteria & worldwide phenomenons. that is where the comparison stops, as you say the Beatles were great musicians, song writers and influenced many since. I cannot see many people remembering who 1D are in 50 years time

fair play :)