Options

Google launches its own tablet.

Comments

• Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    yeah they got me! A tablet for me was always a laptop replacement.
    I quite doubt it ever will be for me.
    A battery being in the keyboard also means a laptop does not fall over, thus that massive Microsoft kickstand.

School bus, back of the car, on a train journey, holidays etc a featherweight 7" device suits.

I am sure there is an argument both ways for that sofa.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "As long as a tablet has over 200DPI the screen will look great, be it any size."

Whatever happened to that 300dpi holy grail?
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    Gormond wrote: »
    Nonsense its the DPI that matters together with how far away from your eyes it is. There are plenty of sites that tell you the optimal TV size you should buy depending on how far away you are for that very reason. The resolution means very little, 960-by-640 is great for my iPhone 4 at 3.5 inches but on a 10 inch screen would be awful due to the lower DPI.

As long as a tablet has over 200DPI the screen will look great, be it any size.

I also have to disagree with your second point as IMO the increased portability (and low cost) is how they are trying to sell this. I dont think they sat there and said we are going to sell this at $200, lets make as big a tablet as we can with that constraint. They will have done market research to find what people want in respect to price, size, weight and so forth and built a product to best meet that.
    you've run with the basic facts and come to an absurd conclusion.

the screen may look great at over 200dpi but that doesn't mean that the device is better.

iphone 4s 326dpi
    ipad 3 264dpi

so the iphone 4 is a better tablet than the ipad by your logic.

and deciding the price point and building it to that is exactly how they built the nexus tab.
  • Options
    GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    "As long as a tablet has over 200DPI the screen will look great, be it any size."

Whatever happened to that 300dpi holy grail?
    :rolleyes:

As i said its all about how far away the thing you are looking at. For a tablet, once you go over 200DPI it starts to become difficult to see the pixels at standard viewing distance.

You hold your phone much closer to your face so you tend to need around 300DPI to not be able to distinguish pixels.

A TV for example at 300DPI would be completely pointless as you sit so far away from it, even 1080p is often wasted as you now see it on 20" screens and their is no way you would be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p unless you go very close to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As i said its all about how far away the thing you are looking at. For a tablet, once you go over 200DPI it starts to become difficult to see the pixels at standard viewing distance.

You hold your phone much closer to your face so you tend to need around 300DPI to not be able to distinguish pixels.

A TV for example at 300DPI would be completely pointless as you sit so far away from it, even 1080p is often wasted as you now see it on 20" screens and their is no way you would be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p unless you go very close to it.
    720p on a 20" screen becomes resolvable, thus you would benefit from 1080p at about 1.15m

here use this http://nigelcoldwell.co.uk/test/tvview.xls

incidentally the nexus screen would become resolvable at about 40cm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    you've run with the basic facts and come to an absurd conclusion.

the screen may look great at over 200dpi but that doesn't mean that the device is better.

iphone 4s 326dpi
    ipad 3 264dpi

so the iphone 4 is a better tablet than the ipad by your logic.

and deciding the price point and building it to that is exactly how they built the nexus tab.

In your opinion...

At no point did I say the device was better, just that 1280x800 is a good resolution for a 7" tablet.

Again its not the resolution that matters when comparing tablet screens as that will evidently vary depending on the size of the tablet, its the DPI that matters which is this case is 216 DPI which is actually rather good, the Kindle Fire for example is 160DPI.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    720p on a 20" screen becomes resolvable, thus you would benefit from 1080p at about 1.15m

here use this http://nigelcoldwell.co.uk/test/tvview.xls

incidentally the nexus screen would become resolvable at about 40cm

Thats kind of my point, who sits 1.15m from a TV screen. Very few people I would imagine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In your opinion...

At no point did I say the device was better, just that 1280x800 is a good resolution for a 7" tablet.
    Yes the resolution is less but the screen is 3 inches smaller, it's the DPI that matters.
    -Gormond like 10 minutes ago
    Again its not the resolution that matters when comparing tablet screens as that will evidently vary depending on the size of the tablet, its the DPI that matters which is this case is 216 DPI which is actually rather good, the Kindle Fire for example is 160DPI.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes the resolution is less but the screen is 3 inches smaller, it's the DPI that matters.
    -Gormond like 10 minutes ago

I have no idea what point you are trying to make...

1280x800 is a good resolution for a 7 inch tablet because that equals 216 DPI.

if that was the resolution on say a 10 inch tablet it wouldn't be very good as it would only be 150DPI.

You were comparing the resolution of the Nexus 7 and the iPad 3 with no regard to the actual screen size. The iPad 3 may well well be 3 times the resolution but then it is 3 inches (almost 50%) larger which has to also be taken into consideration which is why I said DPI matters more than resolution on its own as it takes that into consideration.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have no idea what point you are trying to make...

1280x800 is a good resolution for a 7 inch tablet because that equals 216 DPI.

if that was the resolution on say a 10 inch tablet it wouldn't be very good as it would only be 150DPI.

You were comparing the resolution of the Nexus 7 and the iPad 3 with no regard to the actual screen size. The iPad 3 may well well be 3 times the resolution but then it is 3 inches (almost 50%) larger which has to also be taken into consideration which is why I said DPI matters more than resolution on its own as it takes that into consideration.

a 10 inch screen is twice as big as a 7 inch screen.

i was not comparing the resolution of the nexus 7 and the iPad 3 with no regard to the actual screen size at all. the screen is half the size and a 3rd the resolution. i said those two things separated only by a comma. how can you possibly think i said one with no regard for the other?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a 10 inch screen is twice as big as a 7 inch screen.

i was not comparing the resolution of the nexus 7 and the iPad 3 with no regard to the actual screen size at all. the screen is half the size and a 3rd the resolution. i said those two things separated only by a comma. how can you possibly think i said one with no regard for the other?

Because you started arguing with me for saying its the DPI that matters which is a number calculated by the resolution and size.

Anyway this is getting tedious now... back on topic.

Has anyone managed to actually pre-order one of these? I have been trying but i'm getting an error message "We're sorry, there was an error. Please try again later."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Because you started arguing with me for saying its the DPI that matters which is a number calculated by the resolution and size.

no i didn't that was the first thing i said on the subject.

i can see no point in pre ordering one. i don't need to have it the day it comes out, so i'm happy to wait.
  • Options
    Esot-ericEsot-eric Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm going to hold off for a few weeks too. If Google are still offering the free content and Google Play credit and Amazon hasn't announced the KF2 (available in the UK) by then i'll probably pick one up to play with.

Reports are that Google are selling these at cost so Amazon could sell the exact same machine in a different case as the Kindle Fire 2 for the same price and no longer be making a loss. Or they could still make a slight loss and add a few of the wished for features (SD slot, USB host support).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Initial benchmarks are looking good, http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/28/nexus-7-early-benchmarks/

As expected the weakness is in the GPU which got 63fps compared to 90fps for the iPad 2 and 140fps for the iPad 3.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Initial benchmarks are looking good, http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/28/nexus-7-early-benchmarks/

As expected the weakness is in the GPU which got 63fps compared to 90fps for the iPad 2 and 140fps for the iPad 3.

in other news the weakness in my Peugeot is the engine. it only does 120mph, the Ferrari Enzo can do 200.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Esot-eric wrote: »
    I'm going to hold off for a few weeks too. If Google are still offering the free content and Google Play credit and Amazon hasn't announced the KF2 (available in the UK) by then i'll probably pick one up to play with.

Reports are that Google are selling these at cost so Amazon could sell the exact same machine in a different case as the Kindle Fire 2 for the same price and no longer be making a loss. Or they could still make a slight loss and add a few of the wished for features (SD slot, USB host support).
    I'm a bit skeptical they're selling it at cost. Certainly not the 16GB one as it's 50 bucks more than the 8 before tax. But i guess it's no different from Gillette selling their razors at cost because they make their money on the blades.

incidentally the 16GB is on the play site now for £199. wasn't when i checked this morning.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    in other news the weakness in my Peugeot is the engine. it only does 120mph, the Ferrari Enzo can do 200.

It's called benchmarks, it's normally how you compare electronic products :rolleyes:

You may as well write to every tech website who do the exact same thing. Engadget showed the benchmarks next to a Transformer Pad Infinity that costs the same as an iPad 3, it helps you get an idea if the numbers are good or not.
  • Options
    Mr. CoolMr. Cool Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's called benchmarks, it's normally how you compare electronic products :rolleyes:

You may as well write to every tech website who do the exact same thing. Engadget showed the benchmarks next to a Transformer Pad Infinity that costs the same as an iPad 3, it helps you get an idea if the numbers are good or not.

And if I remember, it performed amazingly next to it too.
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    dont worry about the lack of an SD card too much. USB host will either be provided or made available by the clever XDA bods. I have a 500gb drive i can hook up to my Transformer for moving stuff to and from - and that was before the official USB host was delivered for ICS ......

Worst case grab a cery small USB stick .... not ideal but at the price of the tablet its not a dealbreaker IMHO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr. Cool wrote: »
    And if I remember, it performed amazingly next to it too.

Indeed, the Nexus 7 shows that premium doesn't mean high price tag.

Now I just want the pre order to work grrr...

EDIT: scrub that, it seems to be working now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm they want £10 delivery which brings it up to £169 while the 16GB can be had for £197 from ebuyer... I wonder If it's worth paying the extra £28 considering the storage can't be expanded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hmm they want £10 delivery which brings it up to £169 while the 16GB can be had for £197 from ebuyer... I wonder If it's worth paying the extra £28 considering the storage can't be expanded.

if i do i will.
  • Options
    RowieboyRowieboy Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really want one!! However the lack of SD expansion means i probably won't get one. A pity because in most other aspects it's absolutely great for that price... I would happily have paid a few more quid for an SD socket. Ah well...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rowieboy wrote: »
    I really want one!! However the lack of SD expansion means i probably won't get one. A pity because in most other aspects it's absolutely great for that price... I would happily have paid a few more quid for an SD socket. Ah well...

A complete pain. Even with the squidgy micro USB sticks it is not quite the same.
  • Options
    RowieboyRowieboy Posts: 1,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would happily pay £250 if it had an SD socket and 3G capability. It doesn't and the lack of connectivity puts me off. Good but they missed a trick i think...